Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Cicadas! (With pics)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 6:20 pm
Posting this under the pets forum because my boys are loving the Baltimore cicadas (brood x) and name them, save them, make habitats for them, carry them around… you get it. This is from today. They are on every tire on my block!

Who else has cicada pics to share?

bigsis144

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 6:37 pm
Emerging from its exoskeleton:

As my 2 year old says: “I hate ‘skaydas! Ugly bugs. They don’t hurt me.”

Which I guess is a pretty reasonable reaction.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Sun, May 30 2021, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 6:37 pm
Eeeew!!! They came 9 years ago to us and we were COVERED. Everywhere. Was like a mkka.

Chayalle

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 6:49 pm
The funny thing is, my sister had them all over her swings last summer. Lakewood area.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 6:53 pm
I didn't see or hear any cicadas today. They must not care for the unusually cold weather.

aussie2

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 10:46 am
Is Baltimore at the peak right now? Meaning are the cicadas going to calm down after this week?
I am going crazy from them. they are all over the place.. keep landing on me etc..
(I know they don't sting or a/t.. it's prob more of a gross factor than a/t else..)

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 10:50 am
I just hope we don’t get them for another week. My DD hates them with a passion and she is going to Israel for the summer. I know they are coming, but if they could wait until after her fight it would make her very happy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 11:00 am
LOL Who saw the TA Benny Friedman concert on Tuesday? I watched the livestream and was cracking up. He was so shocked at the cicadas! He was like, can someone get these things away? What are they called? and the kids screamed out "cicadas!!". Like he really didnt know what they were. Even on the livestream I saw them all flying around, and that was on the turf in the middle of the campus, nowhere near any trees!

My dog is THROUGHLY enjoying them. Her vet said she can eat about 20 a DAY and she really is trying her best to do it.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 11:03 am
aussie2 wrote:
Is Baltimore at the peak right now? Meaning are the cicadas going to calm down after this week?
I am going crazy from them. they are all over the place.. keep landing on me etc..
(I know they don't sting or a/t.. it's prob more of a gross factor than a/t else..)

I am REALLY hoping so! I don’t think it can get any worst than this!! I’m really hoping it’s just one more week but I don’t know really know for sure…

Whoever said it’s like a maaka-totally!!

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 11:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
LOL Who saw the TA Benny Friedman concert on Tuesday? I watched the livestream and was cracking up. He was so shocked at the cicadas! He was like, can someone get these things away? What are they called? and the kids screamed out "cicadas!!". Like he really didnt know what they were. Even on the livestream I saw them all flying around, and that was on the turf in the middle of the campus, nowhere near any trees!

My dog is THROUGHLY enjoying them. Her vet said she can eat about 20 a DAY and she really is trying her best to do it.

Omg that’s hilarious! Did no one warn him?? Poor guy. Is there a recording somewhere online?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
Omg that’s hilarious! Did no one warn him?? Poor guy. Is there a recording somewhere online?

TA sent out a highlight video but the link was broken, at least in my video. Did anyone warn him? lol no idea! It was funny. My boys thought it was the best part.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:04 pm
This is our peak week (not in Baltimore)
Cicada cemeteries all over, the noise is deafening in some places, constantly getting on my clothes, just had 1 stuck under my baby's car seat. But it's not as bad as 17 years ago in my experience/recollection! Hopefully it will start dying down...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 8:27 pm
I’m totally doing this for shabbos dessert this week. Pareve, obviously. Very Happy

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m totally doing this for shabbos dessert this week. Pareve, obviously. Very Happy

EEEEEEEEEEEW

fbc

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 8:38 pm
Omg I'm in Chicago, and not currently dealing with this but I clearly remember the day of our vort almost 7 yrs ago, we got out of the car when we got to the home where our vort was taking place and my husband (then-chosson obv) was like "what on earth is that sound?? You can't hear yourself think!!" I was like yeah welcome to cicada season in Chicago...

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Showed this to my toddler and he thought it was awesome. Very creative!

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:31 pm
I grew up in Toronto and currently live in Toms River and I have no idea what a cicada is 🤷🏻‍♀️

Those look gross. Do they make noise like crickets?

mamma llama

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 2:41 am
I thought they only come out every 17 years. What happened 7 and 9 years ago that they showed up by some of you?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:05 am
mamma llama wrote:
I thought they only come out every 17 years. What happened 7 and 9 years ago that they showed up by some of you?

It's depends where. Some areas have the short cycles. Some areas get more than one cycle. Like the 7 and 19.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:06 am
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
I grew up in Toronto and currently live in Toms River and I have no idea what a cicada is 🤷🏻‍♀️

Those look gross. Do they make noise like crickets?

They get so loud it's like a Jewish wedding during dancing. You can't even like hear yourself think.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets