Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Now that's school is out...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 5:21 pm
I know that school has ended in the last day or so, and the girls haven't seen their friends for a good couple of hours, but please tell your teenagers that the aisles of the supermarkets is not the place to catch up with the events that occurred in the last 24 hours. I totally understand the the reports are very captivating, and that they get lost in the thrill of the details, so I'm not faulting them for not hearing the multiple excuses-me that were voiced in increasing volumes yet failed to get the intended result. I do question though that after it took a tap on a shoulder to get one to move aside to allow a shopping cart through, she unconsciously shifts back to her original position, so the next shopper has to repeat the process.

Surprisingly, or rather not surprisingly, this scenario was repeated in multiple aisles, and in other stores too. Parents, can we please inform our girls to find other less frequented spots to share the juicy details of the day's news?

smss

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 5:27 pm
Key word is "unconsciously."

Friends are a teenager's world. It's very easy for them to get caught up in socializing and not pay attention to what's going on around them.

But it's a good PSA, and for sure something a mother can bring up with her teenagers in a gentle, non-shaming way.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 5:35 pm
smss wrote:
Key word is "unconsciously."

Friends are a teenager's world. It's very easy for them to get caught up in socializing and not pay attention to what's going on around them.

But it's a good PSA, and for sure something a mother can bring up with her teenagers in a gentle, non-shaming way.

Oh, I agree. I've got teenage girls myself, and I made a point to discuss this with them today Smile. I'm just venting here today, cause my shopping experience was just really tough. I was already running late, and my shopping experience took twice as long because it was impossible to navigate the aisles.

Since I'm venting anyways, I'll tack on one more vent. If you're shopping with the family in tow and have a shopping cart and stroller with you, would it be possible to push them with one behind the other, instead of side by side, so others can get by? If that's not possible, can they at the very least be parked against one side of the aisle when you come to a stop to assist one of the children?

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 5:43 pm
Just say excuse me it's not a big deal

smss

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 5:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh, I agree. I've got teenage girls myself, and I made a point to discuss this with them today Smile. I'm just venting here today, cause my shopping experience was just really tough. I was already running late, and my shopping experience took twice as long because it was impossible to navigate the aisles.

Since I'm venting anyways, I'll tack on one more vent. If you're shopping with the family in tow and have a shopping cart and stroller with you, would it be possible to push them with one behind the other, instead of side by side, so others can get by? If that's not possible, can they at the very least be parked against one side of the aisle when you come to a stop to assist one of the children?

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Totally hear that, and when it's hot outside everything is so much harder!

I think it's great that you posted, good idea to bring awareness.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 6:09 pm
An extra note to moms, too. If you are walking on a narrow sidewalk with a stroller, and 6 or 7 (or more) kids in tow, and you are obliviously yakking on your cell phone, please do not take up the entire sidewalk at a snails pace.

I was running late to a doctor's appointment, and trying to walk behind you felt like being stuck in a traffic jam. I literally had to walk onto a very busy street just to get past you.

This happens All The Time. Hello, you do not own the sidewalks!

The same applies to gaggles of kids, sipping their iced coffees, and strolling along like they have all the time in the world. MOVE OVER so people can get by! At wits end

hodeez

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 6:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
An extra note to moms, too. If you are walking on a narrow sidewalk with a stroller, and 6 or 7 (or more) kids in tow, and you are obliviously yakking on your cell phone, please do not take up the entire sidewalk at a snails pace.

I was running late to a doctor's appointment, and trying to walk behind you felt like being stuck in a traffic jam. I literally had to walk onto a very busy street just to get past you.

This happens All The Time. Hello, you do not own the sidewalks!

The same applies to gaggles of kids, sipping their iced coffees, and strolling along like they have all the time in the world. MOVE OVER so people can get by! At wits end

AMEN! This PSA isn't just for teenagers (btw I've never had this issue with them, only married women catching up with each other in the MIDDLE OF THE AISLE). Mind your surroundings! I can't stand the carts parked in the middle of the aisle on a Thursday night, I don't have time for that type of traffic!! Oof, this gets me heated Banging head

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:25 pm
You all need to get a life

hodeez

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

Are you giving one out?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:30 pm

Uh no. Quite the opposite. We have too much going on in our life.

smss

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:32 pm

People are allowed to find annoying things annoying.

And when all that's needed might be bringing the thing to the other person's attention, why not do that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics