Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much you spend on vitamins, supplements, herbs monthly?
Previous  1  2  3  4

How much do you spend on vitamins, supplements, herbs monthly?
<$100  
 83%  [ 92 ]
$101-200  
 7%  [ 8 ]
$201-300  
 3%  [ 4 ]
$301-400  
 2%  [ 3 ]
$401-500  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$501-600  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$601-700  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$701-800  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$801-900  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$901-1000  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$1001-1500  
 0%  [ 0 ]
>$1500  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 110

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
I think vintage is saying her doctor agrees it's the right decision for HER.
That doesn't make it the wróng decision for YOU.
It's not a one-size-fits-all thing.
She was pretty clear that most drs agree that vitamins etc don’t do anything for anybody.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I didn't hear vintage saying that, maybe she can clarify?

Because lots of posters LITERALLY said that certain vitamins/minerals/herbs work for THEM. Vintage seems to be saying that they are universally useless?

Indigo, this is what I am saying:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.or.....amins

From the first bulleted paragraph:

An analysis of research involving 450,000 people, which found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for heart disease or cancer.

A study that tracked the mental functioning and multivitamin use of 5,947 men for 12 years found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for mental declines such as memory loss or slowed-down thinking.

A study of 1,708 heart attack survivors who took a high-dose multivitamin or placebo for up to 55 months. Rates of later heart attacks, heart surgeries and deaths were similar in the two groups.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:19 am
vintagebknyc wrote:

An analysis of research involving 450,000 people, which found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for heart disease or cancer.

A study that tracked the mental functioning and multivitamin use of 5,947 men for 12 years found that multivitamins did not reduce risk for mental declines such as memory loss or slowed-down thinking.

A study of 1,708 heart attack survivors who took a high-dose multivitamin or placebo for up to 55 months. Rates of later heart attacks, heart surgeries and deaths were similar in the two groups.
We all agree multivitamins are useless. Wonderful. They don’t contain enough of anything in particular to have a noticeable effect on any system.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:21 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I Vintage seems to be saying that they are universally useless?

According to some opinions they're universally useless. Not according to all opinions.
Each person goes with the opinion that resonates for their unique situation.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:22 am
vintagebknyc wrote:

You're not arguing with anybody here on this thread. Noone here is discussing multivitamins (I happen to feel better when I take mulitvitamins, but it's probably because I was deficient in a specific vitamin/mineral). But that's not what we are talking about.

We were discussing if SPECIFIC vitamins/minerals/herbs work for specific ailments. "Multivitamins" is a generic term which means nothing.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:25 am
According to some opinions they're universally useless. Not according to all opinions.

My opinions come from two places: my upbringing (raised by a doctor and a nurse, in a house filled with medical journals that I read, because I was a nerdy kids), and from my work (where I have served as an editor and writer for major women's and consumer magazines (including Prevention, Newsweek, Verywell.com, Consumer Reports, and Insider.) These are well-researched opinions.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:27 am
This isn’t really a matter of opinion. It’s ok if someone doesn’t want to use supplements at all, but that’s different than saying they don’t help. When research clearly indicates that it can or does.

gamanit

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:27 am
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
In days gone by this may have been true, but today our food supply is terribly depleted because of poor farming practices. Animals are fed depleted foods too, so we can’t even count on animal products to be nutrient dense. That, coupled with the fact that due to environmental toxins and high stress life our body needs a lot more of these nutrients to keep us healthy, I no longer believe most of us can get what we need just from nature. What’s more, is that so many diseases people get diagnosed with regularly can be traced back to a nutrient deficiency or mineral imbalance, but they’re not being told that!! So even if technically vitamins should only be used to treat vitamin deficiencies, most of us have no idea if we’re deficient or not. Serum testing is usually worthless, rda is also. Everyone’s needs are so individual. Most epileptics don’t know they’re extremely low in thiamine, people with diabetes don’t know they’re low in chromium, 2/3 people are magnesium deficient but have no idea. And so on.

That is actually completely untrue. When was the last time you actually visited a farm? Farming has seen huge advances over the last century, mostly due to greater use of shared knowledge with schools of agriculture and some new breakthroughs. For example a dairy farmer was saying that it's a myth that they use antibiotics to increase milk supply. They only give antibiotics when a cow is sick. The reason cows give more than triple the milk cows gave 200 years ago is because in those days cows were milked twice a day- once early morning and once in the evening. These days they try to mimic a calf's natural feeding pattern and use a robotic milking machine several times a day. Milk production is supply and demand. He also said that he feeds the cows with the same grains his grandfather did- grown right on the farm. He also said that cows these days are much healthier than ever because they have machines that clean the barn so they're not living in their own muck anymore. When you look at his cows they look very happy. All the sludge that is removed from the barn is pumped into a giant open tank where it sits around for a while until it's ready to be used as fertilizer. Same fertilizer that has been used for thousands of years. More efficient system of using it.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:31 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
My opinions come from two places: my upbringing (raised by a doctor and a nurse, in a house filled with medical journals that I read, because I was a nerdy kids), and from my work (where I have served as an editor and writer for major women's and consumer magazines (including Prevention, Newsweek, Verywell.com, Consumer Reports, and Insider.) These are well-researched opinions.

I do not doubt they're well researched opinions. I just like to be mindful of the notion that opinions are just that: opinions. There are well researched opinions on both sides of the aisle. I would like to honor each person's right to choose which opinion they give weight to.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:32 am
gamanit wrote:
That is actually completely untrue. When was the last time you actually visited a farm? Farming has seen huge advances over the last century, mostly due to greater use of shared knowledge with schools of agriculture and some new breakthroughs. For example a dairy farmer was saying that it's a myth that they use antibiotics to increase milk supply. They only give antibiotics when a cow is sick. The reason cows give more than triple the milk cows gave 200 years ago is because in those days cows were milked twice a day- once early morning and once in the evening. These days they try to mimic a calf's natural feeding pattern and use a robotic milking machine several times a day. Milk production is supply and demand. He also said that he feeds the cows with the same grains his grandfather did- grown right on the farm. He also said that cows these days are much healthier than ever because they have machines that clean the barn so they're not living in their own muck anymore. When you look at his cows they look very happy. All the sludge that is removed from the barn is pumped into a giant open tank where it sits around for a while until it's ready to be used as fertilizer. Same fertilizer that has been used for thousands of years. More efficient system of using it.
I don’t really know enough about farming practices to argue coherently, but I know that cows are meant to eat grass, not grains. And grains are from the better things cows are fed these days... Going back to his grandfather might not be going back far enough. I also know that plants are depleted because of pesticides and because there’s not enough crop rotation.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:34 am
This isn’t really a matter of opinion. It’s ok if someone doesn’t want to use supplements at all, but that’s different than saying they don’t help. When research clearly indicates that it can or does.

Research isn't gospel. Sheesh.
Each person gets to do the research on their own body to see how their unique body responds to these substances. Now THAT'S the kind of research that meets my standards.

gamanit

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:42 am
I don’t really know enough about farming practices to argue coherently, but I know that cows are meant to eat grass, not grains. And grains are from the better things cows are fed these days... Going back to his grandfather might not be going back far enough. I also know that plants are depleted because of pesticides and because there’s not enough crop rotation.

Cows have always eaten both and still do. You really should read up about modern farming because it really isn't like what you think. Plants flower more when they're "happy" and farmers seek to maximise their land so they keep the soil as rich as possible. More flowers, more vegetables to sell. They use tons of compost and manure in addition to artificial fertilizers as needed. They test their soil to see what's missing. They rotate crops plenty. Why do you think peanut butter is so cheap? Farmers spend years learning agriculture at serious programs. Why don't you take some time and talk to one?

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:33 am
Research isn't gospel. Sheesh.
Each person gets to do the research on their own body to see how their unique body responds to these substances. Now THAT'S the kind of research that meets my standards.
Sure. So people should be encouraged to try different supplements and see how their body responds. The research is just there to tell you it may be helpful, there’s another avenue to explore. But somehow the medical community seems intent on ignoring or even denying that entire body of research.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:36 am
gamanit wrote:
Cows have always eaten both and still do. You really should read up about modern farming because it really isn't like what you think. Plants flower more when they're "happy" and farmers seek to maximise their land so they keep the soil as rich as possible. More flowers, more vegetables to sell. They use tons of compost and manure in addition to artificial fertilizers as needed. They test their soil to see what's missing. They rotate crops plenty. Why do you think peanut butter is so cheap? Farmers spend years learning agriculture at serious programs. Why don't you take some time and talk to one?
Yes, they’re getting more flowers and more produce, but less nutrients. That’s exactly the point. The fertilizers and manure can’t give what they haven’t been given. Peanuts (and corn, and wheat, and soy and sugar) are cheap because theyre gmo roundup ready crops that allow for mass agriculture.

https://www.nationalgeographic.....-soil

https://www.sciencedirect.com/.....0121X

https://www.scientificamerican.....loss/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.....3.htm

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:07 am
Sure. So people should be encouraged to try different supplements and see how their body responds. The research is just there to tell you it may be helpful, there’s another avenue to explore. But somehow the medical community seems intent on ignoring or even denying that entire body of research.

It's just another acceptable way to generate income.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:14 am
gamanit wrote:

Local farmers or big corp growers? Big difference. Local farmers, sure, they're growing their food in harmony with nature, at least some of them

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:37 am
It's just another acceptable way to generate income.
What is?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:52 am
I skipped to the end.

I take Vitamin D, because my levels are low, and magnesium for fibromyalgia. I have others, but I usually forget to take them, or I'm just too lazy. I tend to adjust them to how I'm feeling at the time.

Instead of having a cabinet full of supplements, I spend that extra money on good quality whole foods. I buy in season, local when I can. I cook things to maximize the nutrients.

Both the Rambam, and (lehavdil) the Greek physician Galen said "Let your food be your medicine."

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:41 pm
They are different types of vitamins. Some absorb better then others. The more expensive ones cost more. I spend around $100 a month depends on my needs at the time. I must say they really help me. I see a difference when I use them.

When I had migraines I took melatonin plus magnesium and a bunch of other Shaklee vitamins. BH that cleared up.

When pregnant I take a really good quality multi and a prenatal as well as folic acid

Postpartum and nursing is vitamin fest. Time to replenish that which pregnancy has taken. Multi, prenatal, vitamin D, vitamin C, and a nasty blood tonic which helps tighten the uterus and stop the bleeding.

Birth control- vitamin C (when I forget to take it I strain. It’s crazy how it works) and multi

TTC- folic acid and multi

There is a store in Lakewood called Teva and they have health professionals guide you. They stock really quality ($$$) vitamins and give excellent advice.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics