Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Low grade fever for a week UPDATE
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 8:42 am
My 5 month old has a really bad cold and low grade fever for a week. Whenever I take temp rectally it’s between 100.5-100.8. I took him to the doctor twice and he said he’s fine. He’s acting mostly fine, just not eating so well and been waking up the last few nights even though he was sleeping through the night previously. I think it’s because he’s hungry because he’s not eating as much during the day. He doesn’t seem to be teething so I wouldn’t attribute it to that.

I’m getting worried. What else could this be? I plan on taking him to the doctor today and want to have some ideas.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 8:50 am
Did they swab him? He probably has a virus. Is he coughing and sneezing a lot?

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 8:53 am
Rectal fever of 100.5-100.8 is not considered a fever in many doctors opinion. Ask your doctor from what rectal temperature he considers a fever.
He's probably not eating well because of his cold. Did you try to unclog his nose? Or lift the head of his mattress a bit to help him breathe better?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Rectal fever of 100.5-100.8 is not considered a fever in many doctors opinion. Ask your doctor from what rectal temperature he considers a fever.
He's probably not eating well because of his cold. Did you try to unclog his nose? Or lift the head of his mattress a bit to help him breathe better?

I clean his nose out all the time. I believe 100.3 and above is considered fever. This is not his normal temp.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Did they swab him? He probably has a virus. Is he coughing and sneezing a lot?

He’s sneezing a lot and coughing from phlegm. A virus could take over a week to see any improvement? His temp was higher this morning than a week ago.

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s sneezing a lot and coughing from phlegm. A virus could take over a week to see any improvement? His temp was higher this morning than a week ago.

A virus can definitely take over a week to see improvement, but sometimes with viruses they end up with a let’s say ear infection, so if he looks worse today may be worth to go back to the doc before shabbos to check his ears and make sure his lungs are clear.
Refuah sheleima

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'd go back to the doctor to check for RSV.

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:45 am
My 16 month old had the same symptoms, and was coughing very badly. I was told this virus with bad congestion is going around. After a week it went away

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:37 am
So here we are, two weeks in. Originally it was an ear infection for which he took meds and it cleared up. But the low grade temperature is still there. Rectal temp still is around 100.5. Doc said under 101 is not to worry about but I can’t shake the worried feeling. He’s acting mostly fine though he’s not eating great (but he never does). Am I right for worrying or is this “normal”?

freilich

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:44 am
I would have the dr do blood work. I would be concerned as well.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:47 am
I would be worried too.....if your worried your doctor should listen and not dismiss you. Sorry but that's unacceptable.
That being said my daughter had rsv a few weeks ago, the same age and it took ages to clear, she caught another virus right after so she was basically sick for around 3 weeks and finally it cleared.

Is your baby breathing okay? I'd he pulling in by the ribs?

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So here we are, two weeks in. Originally it was an ear infection for which he took meds and it cleared up. But the low grade temperature is still there. Rectal temp still is around 100.5. Doc said under 101 is not to worry about but I can’t shake the worried feeling. He’s acting mostly fine though he’s not eating great (but he never does). Am I right for worrying or is this “normal”?

Please go back to the doctor and insist on bloodwork and a chest xray. Good luck.

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
My 16 month old had the same symptoms, and was coughing very badly. I was told this virus with bad congestion is going around. After a week it went away

My 1 yr old had similar recently. She was sick for at least 2 weeks and then took another 2 weeks to fully get back to herself.

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:43 am
RSV is going around late this year because of the pandemic.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:05 am
I called again and doc said under 101 is normal and they don’t do blood work. Argh.

He already had rsv around two months ago.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I called again and doc said under 101 is normal and they don’t do blood work. Argh.

He already had rsv around two months ago.

If he won't do blood work on your insistence, can you find a different doctor?

I would be concerned, too.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:23 am
You can go to an urgent care like PM pediatrics and they will do blood work and chest x-ray on site for you.

flowergirl8

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:37 am
Go to pm pediatrics or another pediatric urgent care. Something is going on

clowny

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:54 am
Op, are you sure this is not his normal temperature? Because 100.5 rectally is really not considered a fever. Can you try taking his temperature underarm?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:56 am
clowny wrote:
Op, are you sure this is not his normal temperature? Because 100.5 rectally is really not considered a fever. Can you try taking his temperature underarm?

Other times I’ve taken it it’s been 99.7 as his baseline.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics