Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Summer vacation- so early!!!!
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 8:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We usually have a total of 3.5 weeks off besides for the 8 weeks of camp. So sometimes it's 1 week in between school and camp plus 2.5 weeks after camp/before school. Other times it's split differently but it's generally 3.5 weeks without structured school/camp.

This year it's cut short at both ends. Almost all the camps are starting RIGHT after school ends, but schools are going to have to start early because Rosh Hashanah is at the very beginning of September. So if school ends June 16-17, and starts August 25-ish, that is a very tight two months of camp.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 8:58 pm
mha3484 wrote:
You dont have any winter break?

A few days of winter break doesn't do that much. There is a whole extra month in the calendar (Jewish leap year) between happenings.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:04 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
Our schools didnt take covid guidelines very serious.

So maybe your kids' teachers aren't as burnt out?
But it was also very difficult to get back from the craziness that was last year. Our school B"H had no quarantine issues for quite a few months already, but it was still difficult - both teachers and students had to re-learn how to literally spend an entire day in school, sit at desks, etc. And their skills and knowledge were all over the place because some kids kept up well and some really really didn't. And even if you can't quantify things like that, it just felt like a very, very hard year and I'm hearing that from just about everyone.

IY"H davening we all get a fresh start next year! I only wish there were a nice long relaxing summer to go with it instead of ending in August!

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:04 pm
It was a difficult year even in schools where Covid was lol because many kids had catching up to do from 2020, where everyone had at least a month or so of lockdown, so curriculum had to be revamped.

And I've been hearing on the administrative grapevine that schools have been dealing with discipline issues they've never had before due to the aftereffects of the upheaval and readjustment.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
It was a difficult year even in schools where Covid was lol because many kids had catching up to do from 2020, where everyone had at least a month or so of lockdown, so curriculum had to be revamped.

And I've been hearing on the administrative grapevine that schools have been dealing with discipline issues they've never had before due to the aftereffects of the upheaval and readjustment.

My son told me they are having meetings in school now to discuss behavior. It’s worse then ever.
My MIL is a teacher and said she saw it also.
They are all blaming it on covid.

Lkwd used to end girls school mid June. About 3 yrs ago one large school extended school one week. Slowly all the schools are following suite. I think this is the first year my girls are ending so late. I don’t think it’s such a bad think.
There is always 2 weeks of nothing between camp and school bec they need to get the buildings ready.
I don’t think the girls miss the extra week between school and camp so much.
I also think so many mothers work now out of the house having so much time off is really difficult no matter how much you love your kids.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:34 pm
I guess we’re in the minority. School ended last Thursday and day camp started yesterday!

jj1236

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:36 am
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
Everyone deserves a break, but y was this year harder than other years?

Pandemic anyone?
We had kids on zoom for weeks on end quarantining. Then when in the classroom they were wearing masks, behind plexiglass, social distancing. Only eating lunch in the classroom, all the specialties only in the classroom, being afraid every time you coughed because you needed to take a test before going back to school, the list goes on and on…

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:49 am
jj1236 wrote:
Pandemic anyone?
We had kids on zoom for weeks on end quarantining. Then when in the classroom they were wearing masks, behind plexiglass, social distancing. Only eating lunch in the classroom, all the specialties only in the classroom, being afraid every time you coughed because you needed to take a test before going back to school, the list goes on and on…

The lunch in the room was a big one- I had lunch duty Evey day instead of just twice a week. I also had to revamp my whole curriculum to include the stuff they missed last year. And the weeks we had kids, whether one or two or half a class , on zoom were exhausting beyond!! Hybrid is even worse than everyone home.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:30 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
I guess we’re in the minority. School ended last Thursday and day camp started yesterday!

We finished the 10th. Camp is only starting the 22nd and school will most likely start 9/6.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics