Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/O of Speech vent. Healthcare worker job/salary/hours

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:42 am
I see a lot of people posting in the other thread what they make and their hours. Expectations are not realistic and everyone seems frustrated and thinks they are underpaid.
What do we realistically make per hour vs annually? How many hours do you work ? How flexible are our jobs? Can we have more work if we want to make more or are we limited by the summer /number of patients you can treat or are assigned to us?
I think there are a lot of aspects to put into context.

Simply put, a ER nurse is going to have a tough schedule which she doesn’t have great control over, a very stressful and demanding job, but likely make much more per hour and annually than an RN who works part time in a doctor’s office or in a Yeshiva. There are perks to each but the perks are very different.

Bluepink

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I see a lot of people posting in the other thread what they make and their hours. Expectations are not realistic and everyone seems frustrated and thinks they are underpaid.
What do we realistically make per hour vs annually? How many hours do you work ? How flexible are our jobs? Can we have more work if we want to make more or are we limited by the summer /number of patients you can treat or are assigned to us?
I think there are a lot of aspects to put into context.

Simply put, a ER nurse is going to have a tough schedule which she doesn’t have great control over, a very stressful and demanding job, but likely make much more per hour and annually than an RN who works part time in a doctor’s office or in a Yeshiva. There are perks to each but the perks are very different.

Absolutely true, which is why I work in the hospital as an RN and not an office. However, please consider that even for “easier” or “more convenient” jobs in a school, the salary is decent (especially for RN, which still requires an associate degree only as entry level). The real problem is the amount of money it costs to live our lifestyle, and the fact that many of us may be supporting a husband in kollel.

mig100

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:40 pm
Bluepink wrote:
Absolutely true, which is why I work in the hospital as an RN and not an office. However, please consider that even for “easier” or “more convenient” jobs in a school, the salary is decent (especially for RN, which still requires an associate degree only as entry level). The real problem is the amount of money it costs to live our lifestyle, and the fact that many of us may be supporting a husband in kollel.

I agree.

Its not always realistic that a wife can earn a living to support a feum family and be able spend time with her family. These expectations lead to frustration sometimes

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:56 pm
I’m a hospital social worker. I make what I consider a fair living (more than I’d make at any other hospital) but more than that: my health insurance benefits are amazing and frankly probably worth 30k/year. I also have 5-6 weeks a year of PTO which is incredible.

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 4:59 pm
While I agree with the OP, a lot of this depends on where you work. Where I live (oot) salaries are much, much lower than in the NY area. I'm pretty sure that what I make per hour (hospital RN) with almost a decade of work experience is barely the starting salary for a nurse in NY. So with all the talk about flexibility in nursing in terms of work environment options, working outside the hospital is really not a viable option. And yes, I know that I could invest time and money to go back to school and become an NP and no, I'm really not interested in doing that.

amother
Iris

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:48 pm
My friend is a nurse who works in a dr office for convenience.
She tells me in administrative setting full time or hospital she would make double what she makes at her current salary hourly.

Ppl make life choices based on their lifestyle
Her expenses would go up exponentially if she worked more hours and quality of life down
It’s choices we make

I think it’s like that in many fields.
I’m an engineer and work from home full time. I work crazy amount of hours but it’s worth it to be home. But I get paid less then if I was in the office and my job opportunities are less.
If I would work part time I’d loser even more salary wise and lose my benefits.

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:17 pm
I work for the government in IT. I work 40 hours a week and have to take an unpaid lunch. I'm not allowed to even skip the unpaid lunch.

I make about 90K plus benefits which are decent but not as amazing as everyone thinks gov benefits are.

It's a fair wage given the flexibility and low stress work environment but if I were in private sector I would earn probably double my current wage and have a lot less burocracy to deal with.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:20 pm
The posters on the other thread wanted to have their cake and eat it too. There's no such thing as the perfect job, there's always a trade off. For example, those in the therapy fields were complaining about how little they make as part time speech therapists or OTs. But they are not working full time hours and they are working through agencies (yes I know that ultimatelythey are putting in full time hours but agencies won't pay for that time since they can only bill for actual treatment time) . The trade off is that they have more control over their schedule, work fewer hours, can come in late/leave early if they need to and make up hours elsewhere, etc. On the flip side I work as an OT in a NYC public school. I make a fairly decent salary (around $80,000 after 10 years in and this does not include summers so if I work summer I'd make about $12,000 more) and the hours are good for a frum mother (roughly 8-3 but it varies slightly by school). I get paid regardless of student absences and there is time built into the work day for paperwork. I have good health benefits (no monthly premiums, no deductible, reasonable co-pays) including dental, vision, and prescriptions. There are a lot of paid days off and a pension one day in the distant future when I retire. The downside is the complete and total lack of flexibility. Want to take off a week in January? No go. Your child has a siddur play at 9 AM and you want to come in 2 hours late? Many principals will make you take the whole day as a personal day and not allow you to just work a partial day. I work erev Y"T, isru chag, etc., and it's always a struggle to find child care when my kids are off from school because our schedules never align. For me the benefits outweigh the downsides (and I need the money and benefits) so we make it work. You can't complain that you're only making $XXX if you aren't willing to trade off more money for less of something else (flexibility, part time hours, work setting).

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:11 pm
I'm not sure how it happened, but I have a wonderful job. I thank God for it every day. I know people just as skilled as I am who are struggling professionally.

I'm a clinical social worker. I work for a clinic and make about 95k. My commute is negligible, maybe 8 minutes. The work is very flexible. I make my own schedule, get decent benefits, and best of all (after many years of working per diam) when clients don't come, I still get paid.

I also have a small private practice that brings in another 30k a year.

I could make more money if I ditched the clinic and went all private, but I really like the convenience and social life of clinic work.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 2:29 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I'm not sure how it happened, but I have a wonderful job. I thank God for it every day. I know people just as skilled as I am who are struggling professionally.

I'm a clinical social worker. I work for a clinic and make about 95k. My commute is negligible, maybe 8 minutes. The work is very flexible. I make my own schedule, get decent benefits, and best of all (after many years of working per diam) when clients don't come, I still get paid.

I also have a small private practice that brings in another 30k a year.

I could make more money if I ditched the clinic and went all private, but I really like the convenience and social life of clinic work.

Which clinic do you work for?!?
If you prefer not to say, which city is this in?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics