Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
S/O Does your shul allow home made foods at kiddush in shul?

Does your shul allow home made cooked and baked items for shul kiddush?
yes  
 24%  [ 13 ]
no  
 75%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 53

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:25 pm
Does your shul allow home made cooked or baked items to be bought to shul for a kiddush? What kind of shul do you go to and where do you live?

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:35 pm
No.
MO shul in tri-state area

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:38 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
No.
MO shul in tri-state area

I can already tell you that the further right the shul, the more likely they are to allow home made foods. Not because they're less careful, but because they assume that there is more uniformity among the congregants.

MO, FTR.

essie14

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 1:59 pm
Yes, we go to a small neighborhood minyan which evolved from Corona. we all eat in each other's homes.
Israel
DL

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 2:36 pm
No. The shul has it's own industrial kitchen and a social hall. A member of the shul offers catering for very reasonable prices. The membership is very mixed, so this is the only way everyone will agree to eat what is provided.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 2:46 pm
They used to, but there was a general feeling that kiddushes were getting too fancy, and people were spending more than was reasonable.

Now there is a set kiddush for a,set price, which anyone can choose to sponsor. There is a chioce of a basic kiddush, or a slightly fancier one. Both are catered, and no one brings anything in.

Sometimes people make a kiddush at home where they can serve what they want. As a rule, no one in the community has a problem with the levels of kashrut.

Teomima

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 3:40 pm
Yes. DL, Yerushalayim.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 5:18 pm
Main shul: No
Local corona minyan which is still continuing: Yes

DL, Israel

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 10:07 pm
No for kiddush; people who want homemade make it at home. Yes for simchos you make for invited guests- but no heating up.

JPF/Yeshivish lite

amother
Stonewash

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 10:12 pm
No. MO shul, OOT in Midwest.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 12:51 am
I’m a kollel wife so yes from my home but not from the community in general. Meaning the rule is no but the make exceptions for their kollel families since they clearly trust the kashrus (the kollel is part of the shul). OOT

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:50 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
I’m a kollel wife so yes from my home but not from the community in general. Meaning the rule is no but the make exceptions for their kollel families since they clearly trust the kashrus (the kollel is part of the shul). OOT
Do community members who are not part of the kollel ever question this or get upset that there are different "rules" for different parts of community?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do community members who are not part of the kollel ever question this or get upset that there are different "rules" for different parts of community?

They don’t know. When I made a kiddush I asked if I can bring homemade stuff and they said yes bc you’re a kollel wife. It’s not intense or official etc boobe thinks abt it. the shul caters and the Rebbitzen sometimes bakes for a kiddush.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 7:39 am
Chassidish yes

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 7:39 am
No. School doesn't either.
Heimish.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 8:19 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote: