Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Discussion on Nach Yomi
Previous  1  2  3  4

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:29 am
etky wrote:
It's the haftarah for Yom Ha'atzmaut (that begins at the end of perek 10 and also includes perek 12).
It a utopian vision for the future, of what can be be"h.

IyH what will be.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:29 am
imorethanamother wrote:
I went to check it out but I didn't hear this on this perek? Are you sure you have the right one?

On another note, a bug in the OUTorah app that drives me crazy is that once you've listened to a lecture, you can't replay it again a few days later. It goes straight to the end.

I'll check again. I'm pretty sure though.
Interesting bug. I heard it Sunday, listened again yesterday with no problem.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 9:03 pm
I feel really bad, but it's getting to the point where I just really don't enjoy doing this anymore. I find Yeshayahu very difficult. Not difficult hard, but difficult in other ways. How many times can I read "your idols are bad" and "Hashem will destroy everything" and "Hashem will save you", rinse and repeat? In poetry form?

And it seems like the rest of Navi will be more of the same.

Can anyone help me with chizuk to keep going? I just want to quit, but I'm not a quitter.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:48 am
imorethanamother wrote:
I feel really bad, but it's getting to the point where I just really don't enjoy doing this anymore. I find Yeshayahu very difficult. Not difficult hard, but difficult in other ways. How many times can I read "your idols are bad" and "Hashem will destroy everything" and "Hashem will save you", rinse and repeat? In poetry form?

And it seems like the rest of Navi will be more of the same.

Can anyone help me with chizuk to keep going? I just want to quit, but I'm not a quitter.

Well, yes, for the most part (with the exception of Yonah and the prophets of Shivat Tzion) except that it gets worse in that Yeshayahu doesn't talk about complete destruction whereas others -even his contemporaries Micha, and Amos and Hoshea regarding the Northern Kingdom, and certainly later prophets do focus on complete destruction.
I'm not following the program. Where are you now in Yeshayahu? Have you reached the prophecies of consolation (perek 40 and thereafter)?
Those are amazingly beautiful prakim that bring tears to ones eyes. It's worth persevering just for that.
Also, I don't know if this speaks to you or not, but Yishayahu is so beautifully written and so many expressions used in Modern Hebrew derive from his nevuot. It's worth studying just for that.
Are you learning the historical settings and contexts of the texts?
You can read accompanying literature such as the wonderful Maggid studies in Tanach to deepen your understanding and appreciation of the literary aspect of the texts and their underlying themes.
Finally, I think the centrality of what these nevuot are addressing - sin:idolatry and social inquities, and punishment:churban and galut- is so central to Jewish history and theology that it's worth studying these texts and seeking their relevance to us today, in the same manner that we do with other parts of Tanach.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 1:48 pm
MAZEL TOV!!!!!

Rav Hirsch says that Ashrei means, forward striding.
May we continue to stride together in Torah.
Now to hear what Rebbetzin Shmidman has to say Smile

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 5:33 pm
Who's going to the siyum tomorrow?
So many incredible mechanchos I've met over the last year and a few months. (The men are ok too. Abby Lerner is doing a magnificent job on the last few perakim.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics