Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone did Maalot in Israel for computer programming?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 8:10 pm
Did anyone on here do Maalot in Israel for programming? My sister got this idea in her head that she wants to do that instead of Touro for next year. I'm looking into whether it's even a viable option.

My questions:

1) How much does the program cost?
2) Is it a fully accredited program that would give a bachelor's degree degree recognized in New York State?
3) Would she actually learn what she needs to for the field?
4) Would it hurt her job opportunities?
5) Is there really any advantage to doing it that quickly - one year instead of 2/2.5? We're not talking about a soft degree; there's a learning curve, even though she is generally good with tech.

Anyone can help with recent info? (@Chayalle I know you did this a long time ago...)

TIA!

ETA: She has a 2/3 scholarship from Touro that would be null if she went to Maalot. The main purposes of this plan are for Israel and speed.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 8:53 pm
I did it ~15 years ago. There were only 6 of us in the computer programming section, as compared to double or triple that in each of the psychology, graphics or education tracks.

At least 2 of us totally don’t have jobs in computers at all anymore though we are math-adjacent (math teacher, bookkeeper). I haven’t kept in touch with everyone else.

I personally think I completely burned out doing it so fast. We would have database class from 2-6pm after a full morning of kodesh classes, and then night classes afterward. I admit I fell asleep in calculus 2 a couple of times because I was up late doing homework. We had a summer intensive session to simultaneously complete two 3-credit courses (Assembly Language and Data Structures) courses in 4 weeks.

I got my first computer job before I finished my degree (maalot didn’t take me completely to the finish line) due to family connections, rather than on the strength of my education or resume, so I can’t say what it’s worth in the “real world”.

And I quickly realized that I didn’t love computer programming at all, and the idea of constantly having to learn new languages or skills (on my own rather than gradually on the job) to be competitive in the job market was exhausting and depressing.

🤷🏻‍♀️

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 9:48 pm
I did it many years ago. It was hard for me as I was the only full time student so I had no one to do homework with. I was lucky that I didn't need calculus at all as I had taken AP Calculus BC
Due to me being the only real student, I wasn't given the summer classes and I ended up graduating with just a BA but I had a job lined up with someone frum.
I learned tons on the job. I don't think I was lacking anything though due to the speed. In fact, now I'm working with something I learned there and hadn't touched in 15+ years and didn't really remember but I was able to figure it out as I went.

No idea what the classes are like now.

I had a full scholarship to Touro and turned it down. I figured I'd finish faster and make money earlier as well as needing to travel often home from NY be being in Israel and financially it wasn't worse to be in Israel.

Most of my day I'm not programming any more, just a few hours a day due to a job offer I got a few years ago. But my brain still works logically and I think of eventualities even when not programming and utilize that to be a better employee.

I enjoy programming challenges and therefore keep at it a little and also apply it to spreadsheet use which is a necessary tool in my more prevalent work. I get such a kick making spreadsheets automatically work for me with logic...

theotherone1

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:53 pm
Another option to look into:
https://www.jct.ac.il/internat.....women
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics