Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Swim safety- what's ok and what's not
Previous  1  2  3

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 10:00 pm
An adult. Whose only job is watching. Who knows how to swim. Who has a phone. Who has life saving equipment on hand and knows how to use it. Who is trained in first aid and Cpr.

You’re worried about being socially off?

Former lifeguard. You can’t be too careful.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
I think you're getting to get a huge range of answers depending on where people are from.
We live in the south and my kids know how to swim when they are 2 and are deep water swimmers when they're 3. We own a pool and they swim about 4 times a week from June through September.
I'm obviously going to have a very different opinion than someone in the northeast (as I should being that my kids are much more experienced swimmers than theirs are)

My kids also swam young. And frequently. Swim team, waterpolo. 1 became a lifeguard. And neither of them would as adults, swim alone. I would not swim alone. If you understand water safety, you’d never advise this.

Accidents happen. You’re wrong to take it so lightly.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:15 am
Another pool owner here whose kids are deep water swimmers from a young age and who wouldn’t dream of having them swim unattended for a second. If I invite your kids to swim it means I plan on being outside watching them the entire time, or I’m hiring a lifeguard to do so instead of me.

On a side note, I’d be absolutely thrilled if you offered to relieve me at some point (it’s very time consuming, hot, and boring to guard as much as I do…) I do occasionally have parents of children’s friends who offer to take over for me for some or all of the time and I really appreciate it.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:15 pm
So I used to own a pool. I became the block babysitter. No one ever took a turn or anything. I closed the pool down. Now I can finally actually enjoy my yard.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:58 pm
I once had my self contained class swimming with the other second graders in their school. There were lifeguards there, and it wasn't my job to watch them, but I was really nervous about one of the students specifically. He was not very aware of his surroundings, and didn't relate well to his body. I asked one of the lifeguards to keep an eye out on him, and went to sit down again. A few minutes later the lifeguard jumped into the pool and came out with this kid. He told me later that the kid had started struggling quietly, but because he was keeping an extra eye on him, he was able to go in right away and save him. This experience scarred me for life as it showed how close we are to tragedy and it's so easy to stop it.
Please take every caution you can if your young children are swimming.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:17 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
I think you're getting to get a huge range of answers depending on where people are from.
We live in the south and my kids know how to swim when they are 2 and are deep water swimmers when they're 3. We own a pool and they swim about 4 times a week from June through September.
I'm obviously going to have a very different opinion than someone in the northeast (as I should being that my kids are much more experienced swimmers than theirs are)

Even good swimmers need lifeguards. I assume public swimming pools in the South also have lifeguards, just like pools in the NE.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:30 am
What do you think about approximately ten 13 year old girls swimming with an adult inside the house but not outside with them?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also curious: is there at age at which you would feel comfortable having kids swim without adult supervision? Or a level of swimming skills? At some point, is "swim with a buddy" enough?

No.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:32 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
What do you think about approximately ten 13 year old girls swimming with an adult inside the house but not outside with them?

NO WAY JOSE

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:34 am
Chayalle wrote:
No.

Never? An older teen even? At what point were you ok to swim with a Buddy?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:37 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
Never? An older teen even? At what point were you ok to swim with a Buddy?

Never.

I have a close family member whose life was saved by the 17-year-old lifeguard my sister hired at a family swim event.

Since she has a pool, her girls learn life-guarding as soon as they are old enough and able. A bunch of teens swimming - in her case, her teens are lifeguards and it's okay. That's the level you have to reach.

swimming with a buddy (assuming a pool that is deep) can lead to unsafe situations and liabilities and not something I'd allow my teen to participate in.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:37 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:

They need a dedicated person there to watch. Once there are so many people no one is actually paying attention. They're all just playing and won't be in the mindset to look out for each other.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:41 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
So I used to own a pool. I became the block babysitter. No one ever took a turn or anything. I closed the pool down. Now I can finally actually enjoy my yard.

My best friend has a pool. We've talked alot about how to own a pool, you must set boundaries. She has times she allows neighbors to come over. And times she says NO.

*if you see neighbor A going to her pool, doesn't mean you can come too. You can call and ask, and she can say NO. Perhaps it's already enough people for her to take responsibility for.
*if you don't listen to her rules you will not be invited back
*she doesn't owe you the use of her pool

etc....

BTW I never invite myself to people with pools (including my sister, my best friend, etc...) It's a mentality I don't really relate to. I have friends and family who sometimes invite me, and I also have paid access to a pool for my family.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:54 am
Chayalle wrote:
My best friend has a pool. We've talked alot about how to own a pool, you must set boundaries. She has times she allows neighbors to come over. And times she says NO.

*if you see neighbor A going to her pool, doesn't mean you can come too. You can call and ask, and she can say NO. Perhaps it's already enough people for her to take responsibility for.
*if you don't listen to her rules you will not be invited back
*she doesn't owe you the use of her pool

etc....

BTW I never invite myself to people with pools (including my sister, my best friend, etc...) It's a mentality I don't really relate to. I have friends and family who sometimes invite me, and I also have paid access to a pool for my family.

I ask my husband's aunt only so that I can get lessons for my kids. I know others with pools but never ask. She's very gracious about it. She appreciates that I bring a swim instructor/lifeguard with me and that I'm strict about garbage, diapers, etc.

Also she has a bathroom with backyard access. So my kids aren't dripping through her house to use bathrooms or anything.

The kids always thank her. I think it helps that all her kids are older and out of the house so she enjoys having some little people around for a few hours. And it's nice for all of us to spend some time shmoozing also.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:21 am
Quote:

Never. I would say you need at least 2 adults and they need to be outside, full attention on the pool.

When I wrote I let my kids swim with friends, I allow 2 friends max, and only over the age of 10 depending on maturity. ie I trust my DD with friends at a younger age than DS with a friend

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:27 am
I swim professionally and got stung once in the pool and wasn’t able to safely get myself out. I am a lifeguard and swim coach but I needed the lifeguard or I could have died. I didn’t know I was allergic.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children