Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
American airlines meals, and mask policy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:53 pm
Hi,

I am flying to Israel soon on American Airlines. I would want to order a kosher meal but I am gluten- free and dairy-free, so chances are that there would be nothing in the regular kosher meals that I am able to have.
Is there a point in ordering either the gluten- free meal, dairy- free meal or vegan one, and see if there are any pre-packaged products in it that are marked as kosher?

Even when I fly El Al, I am stumped: you can either order dairy-free or gluten-free, but not both (although many people have multiple allergies)

Granted, I will take some food from home with me. But I have limited space (taking stuff for everyone -- you know how it is when you go to Israel), so I prefer not to have to shlep too much.

I appreciate your thoughts.

A separate question: I am already nervous about all the tests I have to take, here, at the airport, and then at the hospital in Israel -- to prove that I am covid negative, and that I have antibodies so that I do not have to quarantine. I have not had to wear a mask recently, and I cannot imagine having to wear one for 15 or 16 hours straight (time at the airport here, 11 hours of flight, and then time spent at TLV airport). Are the airlines really strict at this point in time? I am fully vaccinated, and have a negative PCR test. Are masks enforced at all times? Including at night when you're sleeping? what about meal times? What's the difference?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 1:05 am
My parents flew American to/from Israel last week. I'm not sure about the meals However the mask policy was pretty much enforced.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:26 am
Delete

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:39 am
https://united-airlines-I.blog......html

This is an old picture with mostly treif meals. However, it shows that not much is packaged, so I think you'd do best with kosher.

Just my 2 cents.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

A separate question: I am already nervous about all the tests I have to take, here, at the airport, and then at the hospital in Israel -- to prove that I am covid negative, and that I have antibodies so that I do not have to quarantine. I

Assuming you are not an Israeli citizen, I believe (at least as of now) you need to quarantine anyway, at least until you get the test results back and an okay from the Ministry of Health.

(I know this isn't what you asked.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
https://united-airlines-I.blogspot.com/2018/07/american-airlines-kosher-meal.html

This is an old picture with mostly treif meals. However, it shows that not much is packaged, so I think you'd do best with kosher.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you. I am going to order the kosher meal, and bring some gluten-free items along. I guess I will have my coffee black or bring some tea bags. I don't plan on having the first meal anyways, since it will be late at night, but it would be nice to have a little something for breakfast. Just not sure if an omelet would have milk it it. I'm pretty allergic.

mc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:03 am
No idea about airline meals specifically, but I know that "pre-cooked/scrambled" eggs made for commercial kitchens can contain dairy..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:07 am
DrMom wrote:
Assuming you are not an Israeli citizen, I believe (at least as of now) you need to quarantine anyway, at least until you get the test results back and an okay from the Ministry of Health.

(I know this isn't what you asked.)

I have a dual Israeli / American citizenship. So once serological results in Israel prove I have antibodies, I do not have to quarantine.

It is a bit offending and annoying (OK I admit -- more than a bit) to me that fully vaccinated individuals, with two negative pcr tests (one from NY, and the other one at the airport in Israel)plus a serological test from NY showing antibodies, still have to prove that they are not fraud, and are subjected to a hospital visit on their first day in Israel. This stuff is not cheap either. It is going to cost me hundreds of shekels to do all the testing. Not how I envisioned spending my first day in Israel after being away family for so long.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:08 am
Yes I would stick with kosher and gluten free protein bars or something like that which addresses specific dietary needs, easy to bring, and can solve the issue.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:09 am
mc wrote:
No idea about airline meals specifically, but I know that "pre-cooked/scrambled" eggs made for commercial kitchens can contain dairy..

Yes, thank you. I suspected this may be the case. I think I will just bring my own food -- if there is any room left for my things after packing all the stuff everyone asked me to bring them...

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a dual Israeli / American citizenship. So once serological results in Israel prove I have antibodies, I do not have to quarantine.

It is a bit offending and annoying (OK I admit -- more than a bit) to me that fully vaccinated individuals, with two negative pcr tests (one from NY, and the other one at the airport in Israel)plus a serological test from NY showing antibodies, still have to prove that they are not fraud, and are subjected to a hospital visit on their first day in Israel. This stuff is not cheap either. It is going to cost me hundreds of shekels to do all the testing. Not how I envisioned spending my first day in Israel after being away family for so long.

Right, but don't you need to quarantine until you get those results (1-2 days?). Or is that just for non-citizens? (I'm not planning on travelling this summer, so I am not up on the rules for Israelis.)

Last edited by DrMom on Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

While I sympathize with the expense and hassle, I applaud Israel's decision to ensure that people entering in will not spread COVID.

Unfortunately there are enough unscrupulous people who are forging vaccine certifications and tests such that I wouldn't rely on them. It is always true - whatever the issue - that a few scheming connivers ultimate ruin it for honest people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics