Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Looking for special needs school
Previous  1  2

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:42 am
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Yes,it's complicated because it's both, it's gifted because child is gifted but at the same time needs a place where teachers are more tolerant of distractibility, speaking out of turn, so it's a challenge to find a place that caters to a special needs extremely gifted child.

The lang school is probably a good option for you but it is also a secular enviroment. We are having the same problem and are at a real loss. We dont live in ny sonits even worse-no funding

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 8:58 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
The lang school is probably a good option for you but it is also a secular enviroment. We are having the same problem and are at a real loss. We dont live in ny sonits even worse-no funding

I’m trying to figure this out for my son. He tested at 6th grade level academically (he just finished 3rd) but he’s very small, and also can’t skip 4th grade because he will miss out on very important Gemara skills. The school he is in has an enrichment program, so I’m hoping that will be enough….I don’t think he has ADHD, but he definitely has something else going on, which would make him a 2E (twice exceptional) child, which most Jewish schools can’t educate. BH whatever else is going on is not getting in the way academically and I’m praying that will continue because I absolutely love his school.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:26 am
You can try ohr Dovid for boys. They are for kids with behavioral emotional social problems but no academic issues. The learning is very differentiated so that may work in his favor if he is ahead academically

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:21 pm
Have you looked into Sinai? My son is there and they're fantastic. Feel free to pm me

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:40 pm
Another vote for Sinai, I also have a child there, doing very well.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:49 pm
Is there a way to get funding for sinai? It seems like it is very expensive.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:52 pm
https://www.beineinu.org/servi.....hools

Ichud - my DD with LD is in HS now

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Is there a way to get funding for sinai? It seems like it is very expensive.

Yes, you sue the public school district for the funding. They have a whole department that helps you through the process. I pay slightly more than a typical yeshiva tuition, the rest is covered by my settlement with the district.

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:17 pm
Pm me if you'd like to discuss Sinai

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:33 pm
I just texted a friend of mine who's 2E son is very happy with his school. The boy is Jewish, but the school is not. They are still very happy with the atmosphere, and how respectful everyone is.

This boy is only moderately verbal, and uses an app to communicate most of the time. He was doing 6th grade math at age 4, and at age 6 he wrote code to design his own video games.

He can hear a fire truck from a few miles away, and by the tone of the siren he can tell you which station it belongs to, and even which number on the truck. He says "I can tell the difference, can't you?"

Children’s Workshop. M094 aka ps 610 - Brooklyn.

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:38 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Yes, you sue the public school district for the funding. They have a whole department that helps you through the process. I pay slightly more than a typical yeshiva tuition, the rest is covered by my settlement with the district.

It's not as simple as "just suing" you have to have a case

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:48 pm
CPenzias wrote:
Pm me if you'd like to discuss Sinai

Thanks!

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:56 pm
CPenzias wrote:
It's not as simple as "just suing" you have to have a case

That's true, but they should still talk to the financial department. A lot of people are afraid to consider Sinai because of the sticker shock, but it's worth looking into, nobody pays anywhere near the sticker price. If your child has a diagnosis, it's much easier to make the case.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:57 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
You can try ohr Dovid for boys. They are for kids with behavioral emotional social problems but no academic issues. The learning is very differentiated so that may work in his favor if he is ahead academically

I would not recommend ohr Dovid if your son is on par or ahead. My son just graduated from there and is behind for no reason. He was on par before starting there. The same with a few of my friends who send/sent there.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:18 pm
Looks like a school for a gifted child with certain special needs doesn't exist, seems like the special Ed ones are more geared towards low functioning. Better to keep in regular yeshiva with therapy on the side, thx!

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:28 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
That's true, but they should still talk to the financial department. A lot of people are afraid to consider Sinai because of the sticker shock, but it's worth looking into, nobody pays anywhere near the sticker price. If your child has a diagnosis, it's much easier to make the case.

I agree that they should call. I didn't because I also was freaked out. I'm grateful for my sister in law convincing me to reach out.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:16 pm
Thank you everyone! I looked at the sinai financial page last year and freaked out. Im going to think it over again

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:47 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Thank you everyone! I looked at the sinai financial page last year and freaked out. Im going to think it over again

Call them! They will do what they can to help. If they can't help they'll tell you and you'll lose nothing. You'll feel sad but it doesn't cost to ask. (Feel free to pm me if you'd like. My son has been in Sinai since 6th grade and he just finished 9th)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)