Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Poll: Toilet train boy sitting or standing?

Did you potty train your son to sit or stand when urinatin?
Sit on the toilet  
 86%  [ 88 ]
Stand at the toilet  
 13%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 102

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 4:45 pm
I'm new to this. How do I teach a boy to use the bathroom? (He's at the age where I can't really care if he's interested or not because it has to happen. He's older FWIW)

Potty training a boy seems harder than a girl. Also, what should he walk around in the first few days? With a girl they could just wear a dress and a bare bottom...

Also, if you taught him to sit on the beginning, how and when did he transition to standing? Thanks!

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 4:47 pm
I train sitting, it's easier for them. When they're ready to go standing, they learn on their own.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm new to this. How do I teach a boy to use the bathroom? (He's at the age where I can't really care if he's interested or not because it has to happen. He's older FWIW)

Potty training a boy seems harder than a girl. Also, what should he walk around in the first few days? With a girl they could just wear a dress and a bare bottom...

Also, if you taught him to sit on the beginning, how and when did he transition to standing? Thanks!

Train sitting, easier and less messy.

I assume your husband will expose him to the standing method. It's very convenient for road trips.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 4:59 pm
Stand on a small step.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 4:59 pm
Standing, I had them learn from the start. (And made it more fun for them πŸ˜‰)
Pull on pants/no underwear

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:09 am
Long t shirt for the first few days.

I had him standing on a stepstool. How do you teach a boy sitting down?

4g01o

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:28 am
Rappel wrote:
Long t shirt for the first few days.

I had him standing on a stepstool. How do you teach a boy sitting down?

You teach them to push IT in πŸ˜†
I taught standing once the training was properly established.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:38 am
Stand on a stool and lean forward on the back of the toilet.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:51 am
Thank you for the diverse responses. I'm extremely nervous either way, but I guess if all of you can get through it, so can I. I sort of feel like I may give him the option to sit or stand- sitting seems strange but easier...

4g01o

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:12 am
It also depends on what age you start training him. If he's nearer to 3, it'll be easier to teach him standing from the start. If he's 2, I'd say one step at a time especially as they don't always know when they'll do a number 2 at the same time. When they can differentiate them, then it's easier.

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:29 am
Standing on a step stool
But I wait till boys are almost 3, though they "practice" earlier and pee in toilet before bathtime
I find then if you wait til nearly 3 it's a VERY quick no pain no mess process

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:50 am
I voted sitting.
I taught my son sitting. He was under 2.5. He went sitting for the next couple of months. I didn't say anything to him about standing, figured that as long as he sits, I don't have a mess in the bathroom (he's my only boy), and he'll learn to do it standing whenever he learns. The day of his upsherin, he needed to go to the bathroom and he said "Mommy, I have tzitzis, now I have to stand like a big boy in the bathroom!"! No one told him, and I have no clue where he took that from, but it was really cute.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:52 am
For the last three posters, he's over 3 Hiding so it sounds like I should start with standing on a stool.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:00 am
Sitting. I think they are more relaxed. Can read books.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For the last three posters, he's over 3 Hiding so it sounds like I should start with standing on a stool.

I trained by son just before he turned 3. I still taught him sitting down.

(Not saying it's better, just wanted to point out that it's not only people doing it with a younger age.)

dena613

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:05 am
I trained first son when he was under 3, sitting backwards on toilet, because he was very scared if falling in.
He eventually transitioned to standing to urinate, but he sat backwards for YEARS for bowel movements. (First or second grade)

My second sin was over 3 by the time he was willing to be toilet trained. I think I had him start sitting, not necessarily backwards, and he transitioned WAY faster to standing.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
I train sitting, it's easier for them. When they're ready to go standing, they learn on their own.

I do the same. But because I use and actual potty. My kids aren't tall enough to reach the toilet.

But if it's an older kid I might train standing if they can actually reach the toilet.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:36 am
We find sitting to be cleaner so we train that way regardless of age. My husband also sits when at home so it’s what they see modeled. At some point they learn to stand when out at a public bathroom or outside.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:54 pm
Thank you all for all of these perspectives!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics