Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bakery that takes food stamps

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:22 am
Hi
Which bakeries take food stamps in brooklyn?
Thanks

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:29 am
Food stamps do not pay for prepared foods, so you can't legally use them in a bakery.

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:34 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Food stamps do not pay for prepared foods, so you can't legally use them in a bakery.

You sure could. Bakeries sell bread, rolls, etc. That's pretty basic food that is definitely covered by foodstamps. You can legally buy cookies with food stamps, too. You legally can't buy takeout food or prepared sandwiches with food stamps, though many do. But bakeries are definitely not an issue. (Unless they have a salad/sandwich bar)
To answer the OP's question; Shloimies, Yossi's, Korns and many others accept EBT.

Edited to add
I just checked it up. Cold, packaged sandwiches that will be eaten at home are allowed to be purchased with foodstamps. Prepared hot food isn't.

meme6

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:45 am
Only the groceries that sell bakery goods take food stamps no private bakeries as I was last aware

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:48 am
vintagebknyc wrote:

These laws are changing. Where I live, 711 accepts EBT for their hot, prepared pizza and sandwiches and I googled - you can buy more items that one would assume possible with EBT.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 7:17 am
vintagebknyc wrote:

Some bakeries do accept it for baked goods like challah, danishes, and even cold prepared food like salad. Kaff's bakery accepts food stamps for sure at least in their midwood location.

NY passed a bill that would allow certain people to buy prepared hot food in restaurants but it doesnt look like its been signed by the governor yet. Not sure what the holdup is or why it wouldnt cover everyone who gets food stamps in the first place.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legis.....A1524

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 8:04 am
Deleted just in case it's inspector

If OP wants to know let her go to bakery & ask

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:56 am
Ask. Many do. As far as I know, current ny law allows cold, prepared food. Challos, baked goods, packaged sandwiches - all legally allowed. Hot coffee or hot meal- no.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:39 pm
Thanks everyone. I called most of those listed and they all said they dont take ebt. I dont understand. I thought bakeries are covered. Its so embarrassing going there and asking in front of everyone nit they wont tell me over the phone I guess they are worried.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:03 pm
As far as I knew, any store that sells milk and bread can take ebt. Our local pharmacy that has a food aisle takes ebt. And in the bakery they cover everything even sushi. Probably won't tell you over the phone.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:34 pm
Schreibers Flatbush and bp
Taam Eden 13th Ave
Hatzlocha and enjoy!

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:48 pm
I have used food stamps in Shlomies, Tam eden, and Sesame

Definitely not everything is allowed but whatever guidelines they have they follow

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:58 am
Sesame said no over phone maybe if I go there theyll let.
Thanks everyone this is super helpfull

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. I called most of those listed and they all said they dont take ebt. I dont understand. I thought bakeries are covered. Its so embarrassing going there and asking in front of everyone nit they wont tell me over the phone I guess they are worried.

Do you have to go to davka a bakery? Can you get the item you need at a grocery store? Many sell fresh baked items.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:02 am
I was looking for a sandwich bar and the grocery stores in Flatbush don't have so figured a bakery would work.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was looking for a sandwich bar and the grocery stores in Flatbush don't have so figured a bakery would work.

What is a sandwich bar? If it’s what I think it is, do bakeries have them? Usually a bagel shop or grocery store deli counter would would be more likely to have something like that set up.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

All bakeries and takeouts in boro park accept food stamps.
I paid for challa, rolls and other items with my fs card. Including stores like sesame. There are items that are not covered by fs, but many items are.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
Deleted just in case it's inspector

If OP wants to know let her go to bakery & ask
Huh? Bakeries aren't illegally taking food stamps. If they accept ebt it's because they're legally allowed to do so. How would they even do that illegally?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:41 pm
bH sesame just answered my email that they take only in bp location.
I guess they were nervous to tell me over phone..

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:54 pm
Many small businesses don't take EBT because it is not worth the administrative hurdles and paper work. That is why generally a grocery store will take the EBT for baked products because they are already taking them.

And it is entirely possible to illegally accept food stamps because they are a commodity that can be sold and purchased. Someone sells to a merchant at 75% of face value and the merchant processes them because if they are audited they have enough legitimate use to justify.

There was one of the horrendous "Mormon" cult leaders who ran a scam where all of the women were required to apply for food stamps which the "store" collected. The women were given very little nourishing food so the "store" was both scamming the government and exploiting its cult members. I put "Mormon" in quotes because this was not a legitimate part of the Church but was one of those rogue places where the leader married young girls and threw out young boys so they would have more women for themselves. I think the leader is serving a life sentence.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries