Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How would you spell it?

How would you spell this name?
Leeba  
 28%  [ 32 ]
Leba  
 8%  [ 9 ]
Liba  
 63%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 112

Oldest

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 2:40 pm
Not sure how to spell the name Leba?

agreer

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 2:50 pm
Sorry to add confusion, but I've also seen Leiba. I've never seen Leba in real life.

I would do either Leiba or Liba.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 2:53 pm
I'd spell it Liba because that's how it would be spelled in many languages that are more phonetic than English. With English, you can't win. Some folks would read it as LYE-ba, some as LIB-ah. You'd probably get the most correct pronunciations by spelling it Leeba but I personally dislike the look of the spelling. It makes me think of a person with an exaggerated wide mouth: LEEEEEEEEba. All those e's like excessive teeth.

Lieba or Leiba would also lead to a lot of LYE-ba, LAY-ba, and maybe even LYEH-ba from Russians.

A1MUM

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 3:31 pm
agreer wrote:
Sorry to add confusion, but I've also seen Leiba. I've never seen Leba in real life.

this

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 3:40 pm
We have a Tzivia Liba. We tried out various spellings and settled on Liba.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 3:57 pm
agreer wrote:

Leiba would be pronounced Layba according to the rules of transliteration most commonly used by frum publications.
Please use Lieba, if you choose to use both the I and the e. This is the most common spelling of the name, IME.
If you prefer only one vowel, I'd use Liba.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 4:54 pm
Israel's Ministry of Interior didn't ask us and spelled it Liba in English.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 5:41 am
I'd go by Liba for sure because in Italian and Spanish that would give the correct pronunciation. Leba would be pronounced like the word "lay" in those languages. When in doubt about vowels, I like to go with the Italians.
I'm not Italian, I just took choir and learned appreciation for the five "pure Italian vowels" 😁 Our high school choir teacher was so crazy about them that he made us sing English songs with an Italian accent. I don't think he was Italian either, but it's been so long ago I can't even remember his last name.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 6:02 am
Leeba is the only spelling that doesn't allow for mispronunciation. It is a little funny looking on paper, but will spare her a lot of grief later on.

Leba can be read as Lehba, Liba can be read as Lyeba, and the other spellings have a number of options. Why go that route?

cmother

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 6:57 am
ΧœΧ™Χ‘Χ” in Hebrew sounds like Liba to me.
Simple and correct.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:10 am
I think they'd all be fine but I like Liba the most.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:25 am
I've seen Leeba and Liba

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:29 am
I think Liba is the correct spelling but I like Leeba more so would probably go with that.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:07 pm
I spell my daughter name leeba

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:20 am
I've seen it spelled so many ways and was very confused what to do when we gave our daughter that name.

I have 4 friends who all spell it differently... Lieba, Liba, Leba, and Leeba.

My family member spells it Leiba and my husband's did Leba.

Personally we have done other names that rhyme and spelled with "I" so I wanted Liba but my husband said no cuz it can be Liba I as in it. Or Liba I as in eye. I said no to Leba cuz looks like u pronounce it like Lebanon. My husband said no to Leiba cuz last name has ei in it pronounced as eye. Lieba he said he just didn't like so we settled on Leeba cuz was really only spelling where there was no wiggle room phonetically.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:30 am
Omg having this same dilemma with my own daughter named Riva / Reva

(Yes I started the Riva thread... we gave our daughter that name and my husband and I are each spelling it differently cuz we can’t agree lol... we originally spelled it one way on the birth certificate and then ran back to the office and changed it ... and now I want to switch back to original spelling πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names