Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Programming language

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 9:31 pm
I would like to teach myself computer programming. What language should I start with, and what do I need to know to get a job?

#Happymom

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 9:33 pm
Dh learnt himself for a year and just got a great job!!! Bh!!!

He started with HTML, css, then JavaScript, PHP, react
Once he knew all those, it was easy for him to learn some more that he needed for a job

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 9:38 pm
That's a very general question. Different areas require different languages.
Swift for iOS apps
Java for Android apps and some software
SQL for databases
Html, css and JavaScript are a must for web development. And if you'd like a front end position you'd probably need at least one of the popular framework such as reactJS, angularJS or vueJS.
Some other popular languages c#, ruby, php...

If you're unsure I'd recommend starting with a basic web development course - something like this https://www.coursera.org/learn.....pment

ggdm

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:43 am
HTML and CSS are not programming languages (but maybe still useful to know).

Python is a good language for beginners, in my opinion. So if your goal is to know programming in general, you could start with that.

But if you want to have a job in a specific area or even you know a company where you want to work, it would of course be most useful to start with the language used there. Maybe look at a few job offers to see what is in demand where you want to work.

ETA: Just examples of languages that may be relevant. I work on big data/cloud stuff and use mainly Python and Scala. My iOS colleagues use Swift. My Android colleagues Kotlin. Our Web people use JavaScript. Backend is mostly in Java at my company. I have friends at other companies who work with C++. I'd hope nobody uses PHP for new projects anymore, but there is a lot of legacy code to support.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 6:36 am
#Happymom wrote:
Dh learnt himself for a year and just got a great job!!! Bh!!!

He started with HTML, css, then JavaScript, PHP, react
Once he knew all those, it was easy for him to learn some more that he needed for a job

How did he learn them?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 6:49 am
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
That's a very general question. Different areas require different languages.
Swift for iOS apps
Java for Android apps and some software
SQL for databases
Html, css and JavaScript are a must for web development. And if you'd like a front end position you'd probably need at least one of the popular framework such as reactJS, angularJS or vueJS.
Some other popular languages c#, ruby, php...

If you're unsure I'd recommend starting with a basic web development course - something like this https://www.coursera.org/learn.....pment

Yeah this.
C++ for embedded systems

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:45 pm
Thanks for the replys I think I'm going to start with python. Once Im comfortable with python is that enough to get a job?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replys I think I'm going to start with python. Once Im comfortable with python is that enough to get a job?

Umm not necessarily. Unless you're looking for an internship most places wouldn't hire someone who just learned enough python to be comfortable. I highly suggest creating a side project in whatever language you choose to show your skills or contributing to open source software (That usually involves learning git as well) to show that you're committed if you'd like to land a job.

ggdm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Have you checked job offers in your area? Are there some for Python? Do they list a specific framework?
I doubt that the equivalent of one beginner's programming course ("somewhat comfortable") is enough for a job. Maybe maybe an internship-type of thing.
The suggestion of starting your own project on github or contributing to open source software is a good one. Real-world problems are usually more challenging than course work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics