Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Buying used Kiki sheitels-would you? How much devaluation?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:46 pm
I went to a Ssheitelmacher who sells sheitels by consignment, devalued according to their wear and tear.

Then there was a beautiful Kiki that sells for 2200 new, and was a year old.
It was in almost perfect condition, just the top comb had ripped the inside of the cap a little and it was sewn shut. (I've had that with my own, but surprised about a sheitel that was supposedly a shabbos sheitel, hardly worn...)
What would you pay for an excellent condition, used kiki sheitel?

$1000?
$1200?
$1500?

They were asking $1500.
I think sheitels should devaluate by more than 30% once you've owned and wore out for a year.

Whaddayall think?

Thanks!!

cupcake123

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:59 pm
I agree with you.

Worn shaytels are worth very little.
So many people trying to sell . Supply and demand.

Also at first I read: kiki shells-I was like who would sell their kikiriki shells?? Just give them away for free!!😂😂

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:20 pm
Sounds very overpriced.

Used shaitels in great condition don't sell for that much.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:36 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Sounds very overpriced.

Used shaitels in great condition don't sell for that much.

Thank you.

I searched old threads here on ima be found doppelganger wigs. Most sheitels re under $1000 used...

Causemommysaid, what do you think would be a more normal price?

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:54 pm
Don’t look at old threads. The pricing is off since wig prices have gone up a lot in the past year.
That would make second hand wigs also go up in price.
I’ve bought consignment wigs. You pay a little more then if you’d find one privately. It’s worth it for me for the selection.
Personally I love buying consignment. I save so much money that I just feel like it’s a fun extra wig to have.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:57 pm
I wouldn't pay more than half price for a 2nd half sheitel.

For reference, I bought my Rosemarie wig from someone who had worn it only a few times. I paid $1000 for it (and another $100 to my sheitelmacher to re-cut it). She had paid $2300 for it.

ETA - probably if you are going to a consignment place, that ads to the price as they are making a commission. I bought mine directly from the person selling it.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:25 pm
I think 50% would be the maximum and that would be if it is in excellent condition. Used wigs depreciate as soon as they leave the store.

Perhaps if it was something exceptional in terms of circumstances such as it never having been worn and it was a special order.

I think people actually pay less from a private party. It is like any used item. A store will purchase it for much less than it will charge. A private person will charge a bit more than they would get from a store but still less than what the store would charge.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:21 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Don’t look at old threads. The pricing is off since wig prices have gone up a lot in the past year.
That would make second hand wigs also go up in price.
I’ve bought consignment wigs. You pay a little more then if you’d find one privately. It’s worth it for me for the selection.
Personally I love buying consignment. I save so much money that I just feel like it’s a fun extra wig to have.

To clarify, because my previous post wasn't too clear...
I found doppelganger through imamother, but I checked their site, and most sheitels there are currently under $1000

Also, I'm not doing this for a fun extra wig. My weekday sheitel is over a decade old, been dyed numerous times, thinned, and missing hair.. It's getting embarrassing wearing it to work.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:01 am
Bump.

I looked at lena wigs, which sells used sheitels, and a bunch were over 1k...

I'm hoping I didn't turn down a good deal. SM said I should call at end of week, and if it's still there, offer less.
My dh says that if it's meant for me, it well be there...

I am feeling nervous

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:11 am
Chayalle wrote:
I wouldn't pay more than half price for a 2nd half sheitel.

For reference, I bought my Rosemarie wig from someone who had worn it only a few times. I paid $1000 for it (and another $100 to my sheitelmacher to re-cut it). She had paid $2300 for it.

ETA - probably if you are going to a consignment place, that ads to the price as they are making a commission. I bought mine directly from the person selling it.

Most consignment places take the cut off the person selling.
They don’t make an item more expensive for the buyer, to cover their expenses.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:14 am
SafeAtLast wrote:

So the person selling may be upping the price thru the consignment, in order to make the amount she wants to.

I remember years ago when I bought my first home, we offered 150K for the house, and they asked for 152K. We later learned that they had hired an agent, and their deal was to pay him 2K if they sold to someone directly. So what they did is, they wanted 150K, and they basically got us to pay the agent.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:15 am
SafeAtLast wrote:

It is probably semantics but a consignment shop is a retail establishment like any other retail establishment and it has fixed costs to cover in order to make a profit. The "commission" paid to the consigner is part of those costs.

A consignment shop will be more expensive than a private sale because a private party doesn't have those costs. This is no different than buying a used car from a private person versus a dealer.

Buying from a private party may be cheaper but it also has other issues such as having to check out each item individually versus going to a store and seeing a variety of items for sale at one time.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:15 am
Your DH is right. Second hand sheitels come on the market every single day. For all you know, the perfect one could be listed tomorrow.

Sheitels are like new cars, and diamond rings. They lose at least half of their value the second you buy them.

It has nothing to do with quality, and everything to do with market depreciation. I mean, how bad can a diamond ring get in a year? You still won't get anywhere near the retail price back if you try to sell it.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:38 am
Are you on facebook? There is a group called wigs you wish you own but you can't afford, run by a person called Rachelli Royde Lerner. She helps people order sheitals from china. Well under a $1000. You can see the sheitals peope have bought to get an idea and Rachelli often gets in orders and sells them on, but she is in London. She ships all over.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:50 pm
people ask too much money for used sheitals that should be given away. they cant afford to give them away and the people buying them can ill afford to pay for something like that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels