Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vaca in Cincinnati!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 11:33 pm
What a destination! I'm visiting the alter heim and I'm pumped!

We haven't been in years and years and probably not for when it's not yom tov since shana rishona. So my family has not seen much. I'm coming with some of the DCs aged HS to elementary. They are super excited to see my old stomping grounds as the city has a mythical quality to them.

I'm trying to recreate the Cincinnati magic and need your help. Focus is on stuff I used to do. But what is still around? What is best to do? I only have a few days.

1. Trip down memory lane:
Visit the streimel CHDS (I never attended the bowling alley). Point out how we walked down the street to the jcc for gym (are these building a standing?)
Daven at Rabbi Eliezer Silver kever
Drive through French Park and marvel at the hills
Drive around in general and appreciate the beautiful hills that surround
Drive passed the house I grew up in
What else?

2. Eat at marx Hot Bagels, hopefully get a Dr Browns. Ahhh. To me Dr Browns still evoke Pesach... and bagels.

3. Greaters too

4. Walk down Section on a dark Friday night

5. Borrow bikes and fly down the hills in the Fair Oaks neighborhoods

6. Sawyers point - serpentine wall, roller blading, theres got to be more. This is used to be my favorite park!

7. Parks!! Winton woods, sharon woods, little miami. I only remember their names. I know there is boating, hiking, playground s .....what's still there and fun to do.

8. NOT the children museum. It is after my time though my older kids remember it fondly from chol hamoed. Are the museums upstairs in the train station in good condition?

9. What am I forgetting?!???

(Of course going amother or you'll figure out who I am)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:29 am
How did I forget the Cincinnati zoo. We gotta do the zoo. It's a great one. Plus my kids know all about Fiona and the ape that was shot.

I also forgot Kings Island. (Though probably not practical that we would go). However, I want to ride the Beast, I want to ride the vortex, I want to put half my family in the forward racer and half in the backwards and race each other. I want to go up the eiffel tower and remember the farmland and woods I used to see - I'm sure it's all houses now.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 12:31 pm
Definitely drive thru Roselawn where Pilders and Bilkers was. Old KI. New Hope (right near Dawn Road). I can't remember what's at the old JCC but the old CHDS campus is still standing and in use as a different school. Old bagel shop, library, RITSS...
Stadium?
Natural History museum has been around forever but exhibits change...
Gibson Hill sledding
Parky's Farm, Ark
Too bad no Americana

Are you on the CHDS alumni group on Facebook? Ask there for recommendations of nostalgia.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:51 pm
Thank you! Yes will need to drive around Roselawn quite a bit.

I'm not on Facebook so can't post there.

Anyway, I would really like to hear from current Cincinnati imas about which attractions are still in good repair and fun to do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:52 pm
Gibson hill!! I really miss having such a great snow hill nearby.

What is there today and can you still sled?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 7:46 pm
Not in the summer 😉 but yes it's still there, though the card factory is knocked down and nothing has been rebuilt

Current Cincinnatians probably won't know what was around in the good ole days since so much is new. We also point out the former Shuls in (North) Avondale when we drive past. It's kind of sad.

The ki annex which is a house now.

Old Biggs

Even the older and now defunct restaurants are past your time it seems (Pizza and Pasta/ Tel Aviv Cafe for example)

I don't know why I'm blanking on ideas, maybe because you mentioned most of them!

What was the roller skating place called? Fun Factory?

Any connection to the old aged home on Towne?

Zoo is the same...I still look for the sunglasses I lost there lol. I actually contributed art to an exhibit there so I like to point that out to my kids if we go.

The old shteeble and mikveh should be part of the Roselawn tour along with some talk of Rav Sharfstein.

Golf manor is the same...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:11 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Not in the summer 😉 but yes it's still there, though the card factory is knocked down and nothing has been rebuilt

Current Cincinnatians probably won't know what was around in the good ole days since so much is new. We also point out the former Shuls in (North) Avondale when we drive past. It's kind of sad.

The ki annex which is a house now.

Old Biggs

Even the older and now defunct restaurants are past your time it seems (Pizza and Pasta/ Tel Aviv Cafe for example)

I don't know why I'm blanking on ideas, maybe because you mentioned most of them!

What was the roller skating place called? Fun Factory?

Any connection to the old aged home on Towne?

Zoo is the same...I still look for the sunglasses I lost there lol. I actually contributed art to an exhibit there so I like to point that out to my kids if we go.

The old shteeble and mikveh should be part of the Roselawn tour along with some talk of Rav Sharfstein.

Golf manor is the same...

.....wrote North Avondale into my post, but took it out bc I couldn't remember how to spell. (That reminds me to show my kids "Reading Road" and ask them to read it's name).
However, very little was there when I grew up. Community was in Roselawn and Amberly, Anything left on Roselawn? It looks like it's been in a similar area for 25 years now.

Considering how old Golf Manor is (1950s?) It's pretty amazing that the community has been basically where it is for a while.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:14 pm
Still looking for current info on parks....winton woods, sharon woods, littlemiami.....where can you hike, boat, nice playground. Do people still go to these parks?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:46 am
Yes, totally!
Miami Whitewater has rentable boats and bikes
I haven't been to Winton in a while but it's still definitely well visited
Sharon Woods we go to every now and then as well

Nothing is really left in Roselawn for the most part. I forgot about the old Chabad House, I remember going to camp there!

Oh maybe point out where the bakery used to be on Losantiville and Obermeyers which is now a daycare rented out from the Chabad yeshiva.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:02 am
Listen to WKRP?

moonstone

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:25 am
DrMom wrote:
Listen to WKRP?

LOL, as soon as I saw the thread title, that theme song started playing in my head!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:40 am
Ault Park
Krohn Conservatory

If you ever went to those as a kid.
Wiehe Park/playground is still there but no pool anymore...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:34 am
DrMom wrote:
Listen to WKRP?

Haha. Fake radio station.....though if it did exist is way BEFORE my time

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:38 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ault Park
Krohn Conservatory

If you ever went to those as a kid.
Wiehe Park/playground is still there but no pool anymore...

Yes did Krohn Conservatory! I have brought my kids there because chol hamoed often overlapped w the butterfly exhibit.
I don't recognize the other ones. Are you referring to Eden park? I remember a huge wading pool there as well as a smaller wading pool with bridges etc in the middle of the playground overlooking the bluff with the view to the river?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Haha. Fake radio station.....though if it did exist is way BEFORE my time

Truth is I don't know when it's from. Is that an early 70s show?

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:47 pm
Summit Park is amazing.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:58 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
Summit Park is amazing.

Agree. It's new so it's not naustalgic.

Purple ppl bridge is good but... It's closed right now for repairs.

Walking on Section in the dark- I hope you're kidding.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:54 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:

Nostalgia......

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:02 pm

Nostalgia Wink

My kids have heard all about "walking inside the white line" and about our shobbos guest who took a step too far to the right and fell down a hill.

I walked section in the dark many times in my day.......and that was before there were shuls on it, it can't be as dark now.

....it was too good a memory to not throw in. Very cincinnati Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:09 pm

Don't worry (im not really going to try this -unless necessary). However, serious question: how do people get to the new KI or the shul or the shul on Abrams Acres if they live past farm acres? Don't you need to walk on section?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics