Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Braised Pot Roast (Crockpot)

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:50 am
This was an excellent version of a very traditional style pot roast. The combination of seasonings elevated it but none of them were rare or exotic and I think would be staples in most well stocked kitchens.

The recipe had variations which I didn't try as I was looking for a traditional style recipe. The recipe doesn't have a starch so I served over smashed potatoes

I made this the day before - I try to do this because the fat is easier to remove when it becomes solid and also because braises and stews improve their flavor when they are reheated

Braised Pot Roast (Crockpot)

Excerpt From: Connie Guttersen - The New Sonoma Cookbook

What a great crockpot meal to come home to after a long day. The long, slow cooking time develops rich, savory flavors with tender beef. Great dishes create food and flavor memories; this very easy and delicious recipe is one to rekindle those flavor memories or start a new tradition.

Start to Finish: 6 hours (in a crockpot) Yield: 10 servings

3 pounds beef top round, lean - I subbed a brisket for the round but I trimmed as much fat as possible
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups onions, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup mushrooms, cut 1/6 inch thick
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
1 15-ounce can tomatoes, diced
1 cup red wine
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Season meat with salt and pepper.

2. Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and meat. Sear meat all over until nicely browned. Remove from pan and place in crockpot.

3. Add onions, celery, and carrots to sauté pan; sauté for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and turn up heat to brown. Add garlic and spices; cook until aromatic. Add tomatoes and red wine; reduce by half. Add chicken stock and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Pour over meat in crockpot. Turn crockpot on low, cover, and let cook for 6 hours or until the meat is tender.

4. Remove the meat from crockpot. Place on a cutting board. Let sit. Degrease the sauce; adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Stir in parsley. Slice the meat. Add to sauce and serve.

Variations

Mediterranean

Add 2 tablespoons chopped garlic with the onions. Increase paprika to 2 tablespoons and omit mustard. Add 1 tablespoon chopped basil with the parsley.

Latin

Add 1 chopped chipotle chile and 2 tablespoons garlic with the onions. Add 2 tablespoons chile powder in place of paprika and dry mustard. Replace thyme with Mexican oregano. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro in place of parsley.

CULINARY NOTE

The amount of cooking necessary will depend on the shape of the roast. If the roast is long and skinny, it will take less time. The more dense the roast, the longer the cooking time required.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 250 calories, 33 g protein, 6.5 g total fat (1.8 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 62 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 39 weighted glycemic index”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics