Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Chocolate Almond Hazelnut Horns

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:56 pm
These were not particularly hard to make. Not hard to make ropes out of the balls of dough - use an egg wash and then dip.

I love marzipan and almond paste and linzer cookies and tortes and I have had the bakery version of these. I got inspired to bake and pulled out this recipe.

It was very good and nice enough for company. Smile

ETA It looks like it would be okay for Pesach. If I am wrong and missing something, let me know 🌞

Chocolate Almond Hazelnut Horns

Excerpt From: Leah Koenig - Modern Jewish Cooking: Recipes & Customs for Today's Kitchen

Old-school Jewish bakeries in New York make a wickedly good cookie called an almond horn. The crescent moon–shaped pastry is made with sweet almond paste and rolled in thinly sliced almonds (or chopped hazelnuts in this case), yielding a crunchy outside that gives way to a tender, chewy inside. Some bakeries up the ante by dipping them in melted chocolate at both ends (as pictured in the lower third of page 273). According to Stanley Ginsberg, co-author of the wonderful cookbook Inside the Jewish Bakery, “[almond horns] were expensive to make, high-priced, and absolutely worth it—one of the biggest sellers in the bakery.” He’s right, almond paste (see page 343) and almond flour can get a little pricey. But for almond lovers and gluten-free folks, they are more than worth the splurge.

MAKES 12 HORNS

6 OZ/170 G ALMOND PASTE, BROKEN INTO SMALL PIECES WITH YOUR FINGERS
1/3 CUP/30 G ALMOND FLOUR
1/4 CUP/50 G SUGAR
2 EGG WHITES
11/4 CUPS/150 G HAZELNUTS, FINELY CHOPPED
3 OZ/85 G BITTERSWEET BAKING CHOCOLATE, ROUGHLY CHOPPED

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a stand mixer or using a handheld electric mixer and a large bowl, mix the almond paste, almond flour, sugar, and 1 of the egg whites together on low speed until a moist dough forms.

3. Spread out the hazelnuts in a shallow dish. Moisten your hands lightly with water, then divide and roll the dough into twelve equal balls. Working one at a time, press each ball into the hazelnuts on all sides while shaping it into a 5-in/12-cm rope. Place the rope on the prepared baking sheet and gently form it into a “U” shape. The dough will feel fragile at this stage, but will firm up while baking. Repeat with the remaining dough balls, placing the cookies 1/2 in/12 mm apart.

4. Whisk the remaining 1 egg white with about 1 tsp water. Gently brush the tops of the cookies with a little egg wash (you will not use all of it). Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

5. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water. (Or melt in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl at 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval until fully melted.) Dip the tips of the cookies into the chocolate and place back on the baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins