Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do I get some QUIET?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:38 pm
My son is 3 and is testing boundaries the whole day long. I am doing ok with his shenanigans with one exception. He gets to me every time when he is so LOUD. He will just randomly shriek or imitate a tiger or a loud car or whatnot. He is EXTREMELY loud and I just can't deal with it. During lockdown, when I was just finished with my nerves, I have hit him or yelled back, but that is obviously not what I want to do (and anyway, doesn't help). But how do I get him to STOP and BE QUIET in a gentle way?? Please help, o wise imamothers!

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:43 pm
Can you direct him somewhere else? For example, outside, or a closed bathroom or bedroom, as the only place where he can make these loud noises.

You could start by making a game of it. "Go to [place] and make your best tiger sound!" When he does something around you: "It sounds like you want to be loud right now! Remember, you need to go to [place] to do that" and then you might have to physically 'help' him go there if he won't.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:22 pm
Ha! Wondering the same. My 4 year old is now a “monster” as he calls himself. When he gets into his moods he screams really loud. “Raaaah! I’m the scary monster! Big and string! RAHHHHH”

He gets a kick out of scaring everyone. We just try not to make a big deal and ignore him.

We never hit him bh. If he hits us we say no hitting and wait until he calms down.

He’s still incredibly difficult.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:23 pm
After having b'h two perfectly amazing boys who I've never had to go through one tantrum with them; I was b'h blessed with a girl that basically from 7am till 7pm screeches (and yes she is happily playing when she does this) cries at the top of her lungs when the slightest thing happens (like one of her brothers decided to move her doll on another side of the room) and have experienced b'h more than a few times those tantrums that everyone talked about. (She'll be two in a few months only)
After going through fighting with her, screaming back, getting angry, giving somewhat of patches, putting her in her room to cry, taking toys away, telling my husband to deal with her cause I'm done, I've decided the best thing is to just make sure she is ready for bed at 7:30 and not a second later so I can have my peace (and I know my husband and older kids think the same as well). Nothing works perfectly and haven't found one perfect trick, every kid is different and I think the best thing that has worked was just completely ignore all of it. She'll slowly realize no one cares so why bother with this act when she can get more attention when she act's the opposite... much hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:14 pm
Thank you for the replies. It helps to know I am not alone. It sometimes seems all other children are nice and quiet.

I don't manage to ignore the shouting. One, we are in an apartment and the neighbors have complained. Two, it really triggers me. I am noise sensitive in general and just cannot deal. It might work for him to make him stop, but I can not do it.

Today I put him in the bathroom when he was screaming to see if a "screaming place" can work. I should have realized it's a bad idea when he went without a fight... he distributed all of our toilet paper on the floor with added soap and water from the toilet brush. Can't Believe It

Bedtime and meals at the right time is a huge help. When he is happy he is so cute and well-behaved. He becomes a monster when something is bad. Overtired, hungry, being ignored. Unfortunately I do not manage to have a structured day at the moment. I am only surviving and waiting for the end of this stupid pandemic. Or that he turns four and becomes easier. Or winning the lottery to have a nanny. Crying
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics