Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Summer expenses $$$$$$$$$$
Previous  1  2

twogees

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:24 pm
1 kid. 435 for summer school. For camp I got a few scholarships so I'm paying just over 300 for the 4 weeks of camp. But, then I have to find something for him for Aug so I can go to work.

Edited: I found something for him for Aug for an additional 350 for 2 weeks.
So all in, will be paying about 1200 for 1 kid for summer school, July and August.

Last edited by twogees on Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:57 pm
$2400 for one kid going to sleepaway camp for 1/2 summer (plus $100 for the bus, plus various fees - canteen, camp shirt, etc..plus all the sundry items she needs....)

Not complaining. I remember when I had her in daycamp and two teens in camp. It does get cheaper when they start being grown-up.

and my camper has a job 2nd half that is around the corner from my house and she gets paid, not the other way around.....

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:06 pm
2 kids sleep away camp $5200
Bungalow- cheap junk $6500
Day camp 4 kids $2000
All extra expenses $5-$10,000

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:16 pm
Lakewood
8 year old yeshiva camp $200 and then 5 weeks of regular camp $600 plus 100 for bus
6 year old backyard camp $100 a week - $800 for summer
2 year old $700 for summer

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:34 pm
Lakewood:
Yeshiva camp $250
Boy day camp 650 + 100 bus
Girl teen camp - 1500 + 200 bus
Girl camp - 1300 + 200 bus
Mesivta Sleepover camp - 2000 + 125 transportation
Preschool day camp - $950
Preschool day camp - no plans yet - help!!! Prob $900

Approx $8000 For 6 kids

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:35 pm
well, in a previous thread ppl said paying for camp is like paying tuition, but it seems here that statement is not accurate....day camp is expensive..I cant afford it...in july and august, I put away the $ that I wouldve used for monthly tuition....and save it for my expenses during the year that may not be covered by income and save it for extra expenses like registration fees, medical fees etc.

I work a ten month very full time job, and I am off july/august. The camps by me wouldnt give us camp scholarships even if we worked in the camp....its a business and the owner just bought a 2 mil home...he must be doing well....I always wondered how much they make bec they charge a lot but they do have to pay for trips and for renting the campus/ swimming pool use/ etc...

anyway, I saw the yehudi paper stating that there are few drives to collect tzedeka to pay for kids to go to camp so im wondering how they decide who gets that money...there are ppl who get tomchei shabbos whose parents are off in summer but they send to camps, are getting money for day camps too? im wondering how the organization decides...

I wonder if id be eligible or do I earn "too much"??

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:44 pm
during school year my monthly child care expenses for playgroup/tuition is $1750 (4 kids, Lakewood)

now for the summer per 4 weeks it'll be SAME! just calculated it! that's pretty cool though I am paying extra for June since I had to pay all kids for full month of June for school and then I'm also paying for a full week of day camp in June as well...

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow, just wow!!
I just calculated how much our summer expenses are and I'm 😲.
Sending 4 kids to day camp in Brooklyn and one of those 4 is going to sleep away camp for one half.
We are not going upstate, not traveling.

Total cost : around $7,600
This does not include tips
We bh get a tuition break during the year, but daycamps and camps don't give a discount.

How much does summer cost you?

So that's around $950 per kid per month. (Or really $715 per kid per month plus one extra costs for sleepaway camp). How much do you pay during the year?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:53 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
Gosh I don't know how you all do it!

We're in the uk, our holidays are much shorter. We're going away for 10 days which is costing us $1,600 that's without trips, fuel etc. Then the rest of the summer will be day trips to parks or having friends over. Hopefully nothing too expensive. My dh is working throughout besides for when we're away (he will still 'work' but way less and obviously not all day at the office)

It's tough having to entertain them on my own but we can't afford day camp and going away. My kids are in school all year round, this way it's nice family time but even 4.5/5 weeks of it gets too much!

I only work term time.

Many of us have no choice. We work full time including the 10 weeks of summer. The 8 weeks of camp I pay for is not optional.

Usually the other two summer weeks my husband and I switch off being home with the kids or we hire a babysitter if it's practical. If we have enough vacation days we might go camping or something for a few days which is an inexpensive vacation and lots of fun.

LittleMissMama

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:04 pm
Before I went back to work, I stayed home with my kids in the summer. Now I hire a college age babysitter to be my fill in. Activities plus her salary cost $$ but less much than camp. Obviously camp would be more fun, but such is life. No one should feel pressured into spending more than they have and at the end of the day, no one should actually be irresponsible enough to spend more than they have.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:16 pm
$545 day camp 2 kids
$900 tuition 3 kids (we pay 12 months tuition, only boys continue through the summer though)
oldest in special ed so free this year

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:07 am
I wrote the checks and bH we had money in the account to pay for them. I haven’t calculated and will not calculate it. My kids need camp, I need camp.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:13 am
Yep it’s expensive and unfortunately this year the staff is going to have to be happy with the salary cuz all their tips went to the camp fees and tuition.

losingweight

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:38 am
Summer will cost me 10,000 with all the camp and day camp and I pay 12 month tuition. Add on camp shopping, and I stay in Brooklyn for the summer. Bh im paid up, but it's a lot. There are other things I don't buy because camp comes first. Bh the kids thrive there so I pay happily.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics