Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Asd nest and horizon programs

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:25 pm
Anyone has any experience with the above programs, within the public schools? I just got a offer placement in the horizon program, I originally applied for the nest program but they only had space in the horizon program. I'm afraid my child is too high functioning for that. Plus I my community it will be considered odd thats he's going to a public school. Especially since he appears so high functioning it's hard for people to relize right away that he's on the spectrum

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:35 pm
I work in a school with a horizon program.

What's your child's IQ and academic levels? Any behaviors?
How is he socially?

autism mom

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:45 pm
I have no idea no evaluations were conducted. I'm actually quite shocked of the acceptance. I sent in an application a long time ago and totally forgot about it... this was so random. Academically a little behind and socially likes being around kids but is a little awkward. Also stimms with the hands often. But speaks well.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:49 pm
In my experience horizon sounds lower than your son.
Most kids IQs are low average - around low 80s.
Academically they are supposedly to be approaching grade level though that isn't always the case.
Socially though, they very clearly have autism.
Nest sounds like a better fit for your son. Although don't take my word as your only reasoning. It's just my school's experience. Some kids may be like your son but most seem lower.
Some schools may be higher functioning. Do you mind me asking which school/district the class is in

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:53 pm
Ps 164. In boro park I believe. On 44th Avenue. Not my district. I would need bussing. But I originally agreed to have my application sent in only to the nest program because I know that is for higher functioning students and has intergrated classes as well.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:58 pm
Consider Children’s Workshop. M094 aka ps 610. A friend of mine sends there, and her son is extremely happy. He's very high functioning, but struggles in the verbal department.

As for what is "accepted" in your community, what is going to be more important in 10 years time? What the neighbors think, or that your child is developing to his utmost potential?

If public school is better, then the shame is on the Jewish schools for not meeting the needs of these kids. It's certainly not on you for doing what is best for your child.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 5:06 pm
Oh the jewish reg ed schools were so nasty. They wouldn't even interview and meet my child to see if their school can accommodate a child with extra therapy. And jewish special ed schools, I get the feeling it's all about the money. So u may be right

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh the jewish reg ed schools were so nasty. They wouldn't even interview and meet my child to see if their school can accommodate a child with extra therapy. And jewish special ed schools, I get the feeling it's all about the money. So u may be right

I went through this with several Jewish schools with DD. She had to move back to the US and attend a secular school so that she could get the support she needed to graduate on time.

The fact that I didn't have a lot of money, and I didn't have (or was married to) yichus didn't help at all. I had no "pull" in the community to advocate for me. Sure, people were sympathetic, but they were not the least bit helpful.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 5:28 pm
My son is in a NEST program and we are thrilled. He has been there since kindergarten and just finished 3rd grade. He is thriving and it's a great program. He is very bright and high functioning. I don't know much about Horizon.

As far as not being in a yeshiva environment, being in a place where his social/emotional needs are met is so much more important.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 6:50 pm
I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. But an 8 class is very small if your child is relatively typical socially. If someone meets him and might know right away he is on the spectrum then maybe horizon is a good fit

Does your son for sure need a special education setting? Horizon wont provide him with any peers typical peers who he can learn from. However it is a good program for those who are a good fit. It's hard to know without knowing your son.

naomi2

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 7:02 pm
There are so many programs for children on the spectrum and they are good ones too. Before you try public school did you look into
Yaldeinu
Tiferes Mordechai
Yad yisroel
Atidenu
Mastermind
Imagine Academy
Ohr Dovid

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 7:14 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. But an 8 class is very small if your child is relatively typical socially. If someone meets him and might know right away he is on the spectrum then maybe horizon is a good fit

Does your son for sure need a special education setting? Horizon wont provide him with any peers typical peers who he can learn from. However it is a good program for those who are a good fit. It's hard to know without knowing your son.

Right I also think 8 students dosent give enough social opportunities, I originally had in mind only the nest program, cause it has more students in a class plus more opportunities for integration. I didn't have in mind the horizon program, I just got a random offer from the doe.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 7:14 pm
naomi2 wrote:
There are so many programs for children on the spectrum and they are good ones too. Before you try public school did you look into
Yaldeinu
Tiferes Mordechai
Yad yisroel
Atidenu
Mastermind
Imagine Academy
Ohr Dovid

Yes I'm looking into some options for higher functioning students.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics