Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cooking for shabbos lunch on Wednesday

RW

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:16 pm
We are having guests this week and I have a whole menu planned out. I always start my shabbos cooking on Thursday, but I figured I'd split things up and start today. Anyone else start their shabbos cooking on Wednesday, and is the food still fresh by shabbos afternoon? Thanks, sincerely: someone who always cooks on Thursday and is afraid to do something different 😬

hodeez

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:21 pm
For me I would just prepare as much of the raw ingredients as I could and then cook closer to shabbat.

A1MUM

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:24 pm
kugels and dips are already on the shop shelves on wed so im sue you could make those.

Surrendered

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:24 pm
I cook on Wednesday many weeks.
My food tastes delicious on shabbos bh.

Last edited by Surrendered on Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:31 pm
I always start my soup Wednesday the latest so I can chill the broth and skim off the fat before continuing. I have also made kugel and chicken as early as Wed and always debate freezing vs. not. I can't speak about tasting fresh since I'm not such a feinshmecker and can't tell the diff between something cooked the same day and something cooked a day or three prior. Frozen stuff doesn't bother me and the only thing I notice is that fresh tastes especially good. I don't notice that frozen tastes less good, just that fresh tastes better, if that makes sense. Nobody in my family ever complained that something I froze doesn't taste good unless it's really old, like Pesach kugel that I take out for Sukkot.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:35 pm
I frequently cook on Sun/Monday for Mon-Tues-Wed and the food tastes just fine. But the last meal if it doesn't get eaten that night only my husband will eat the leftovers. So you could totally start cooking Wed but I would not really plan on having leftovers during the week.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:41 pm
Surrendered wrote:
Everyone throws tomatoes at me.
I cook on Wednesday many weeks.
My food tastes delicious on shabbos bh.

I do the same. If im planning a large or fancier meal, I start Wednesday. Food tastes just as good as if it was cooked Thursday.
I just keep in mind not to rely on it for leftovers for next week

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:43 pm
Honestly, I cook a lot on Wednesday.

Challah- goes in freezer and is wrapped in foil to get heated up

Gefilte fish- yes, I make it on Wednesday and it’s totally fine on shabbos. I got this idea from my son’s nursery Morah 12 years ago who always had her shabbos fish cooking when I dropped off my son on Wednesday morning

Potato kugel- is heated up on Friday afternoon from fridge and is delicious on Friday afternoon and night. I also make extra to wrap and put in the Chulent pot

Chicken- gets cleaned and spiced and the pan goes in the fridge to get placed in the oven on Friday afternoon to bake

Chicken soup- I don’t make every week but when I do make it, it usually gets cooked on Wednesday. I’m not a big soup eater but I get lots of compliments on my soup

Lukshen kugel- for sure perfect on shabbos if baked on Wednesday

To save time, you can even prepare your Chulent ingredients and leave the pot in the fridge to get cooked on Friday

Deli rolls- fine

Cake- no problem baking on Wednesday

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 7:17 pm
I don't know how fussy you are but it would not work for us. I don't even shop until friday morning

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 7:23 pm
I don't have room in my fridge. But certain foods (stews) taste better a day or two later.

What's your menu? Maybe we can tell you what needs to be closer to shabbat
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus