Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
2 writing pieces accepted
Previous  1  2

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:09 am
This is a whole new world to me. I have questions. A person can write an article and email it to a magazine and if they like it they will pay you? What what point do u discuss compensation? What happens if u wanted to get paid more?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:24 pm
Mazel tov OP, good for you!

amother [ Bluebonnet ] wrote:
Congratulations!

So I have been published around 20 times in Mishpacha, Ami and Binah.

Sometimes I got a standard reply. Many times I have not.
My latest piece I sent in, I waited over 6 weeks for a reply.
And then it came : we would be honored to publish your piece. (This was Mishpacha)

Another time, I just got, "wow! Great story, thanks!" I got that reply about 2 hours after I sent it. (This was Ami)

Do you mind if I ask, do you submit fiction or non fiction?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
This is a whole new world to me. I have questions. A person can write an article and email it to a magazine and if they like it they will pay you? What what point do u discuss compensation? What happens if u wanted to get paid more?

As far as I know, they have a set price for freelancers. Mishpacha, Binah and Ami pay 10 cents per word.

The first time I got an article accepted into each of the papers, I asked about compensation and each time they told me what to do. They only need your info the first time. Afterwards, any piece you get accepted will earn you an automatic paycheck.

I assume if you write a column, you can negotiate a different price.

And yes. If you like to write, just write something and email it. If they like it, they will print it and pay you.

Just a word of advice:

Be familiar with the style of the magazine in which you hope to be printed.

Don't send your piece to more than one place at a time.

After submitting, you will receive an email letting you know that the piece is under review and when you can expect to hear from them.

If they accept it, they will send you an edited copy at a later date to look over.
After they print it, you will get paid.

Each magazine has a different timeline in how fast they move. In my experience, Ami is the fastest, Binah is the slowest. But my info is about 2 or 3 years old, so things may have changed. .

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Mazel tov OP, good for you!

Do you mind if I ask, do you submit fiction or non fiction?

I have never submitted fiction. I have no imagination. Confused
They were always true stories, though sometimes I changed the names. Usually I kept the names and places accurate, as long as I had permission.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:42 pm
delete

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for this info. the 1st article they wrote they would be honored to publish it [I have decided not to go ahead with that one] and the other they wrote 'we would love to print it!' Both replies were very different in all. One took a few days to reply and the other 3 weeks. To be honest I had pretty much forgotten about it...Just have lot of tough stuff going on in my life. The magazine is Mishpacha. The pay is not much but not doing it for the money... just a nice bonus.

Now that I think about it, I think Mishpacha usually writes a personal comment, not a standard template.

In general I found that the people in Mishpacha treat you like real people. Even though I dont work for them and they dont know me, they are not only mentchlich but warm and complimentary. I am constantly impressed with them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:29 am
Now that I think about it, I think Mishpacha usually writes a personal comment, not a standard template.

In general I found that the people in Mishpacha treat you like real people. Even though I dont work for them and they dont know me, they are not only mentchlich but warm and complimentary. I am constantly impressed with them.

Same! I totally agree!

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 10:47 am
I also had my story published in Mishpacha. Very positive experience!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 10:52 am

I dealt with them in other capacities and I fully agree with this statement. I am so impressed.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club