Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
I have no goals

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:06 pm
I have no goals and therefore my life is unmotivated and I'm feeling down. I have nothing to work towards. Yes, my overarching goal is to become a better person etc etc, I'm also in school so I am working towards a degree, but I have no small, measurable goals to feel success and gain momentum and motivation. Any ideas of goals I can set for myself? Real, meaningful things and ways to work on myself.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:11 pm
Do you have tests and projects in school? Do you get grades in your classes?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Do you have tests and projects in school? Do you get grades in your classes?

Yes, but getting good grades is not a meaningful goal for me

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:25 pm
What would be a meaningful goal? Should you be in a more competitive program where getting good grades is harder? I imagine you are young as 25 years ago, life was different and I can’t imagine your shoes.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:27 pm
Can you work on one mitzvah and make it your own? Do you have a mental health goal? Can you think of a parenting goal?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:30 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
What would be a meaningful goal? Should you be in a more competitive program where getting good grades is harder? I imagine you are young as 25 years ago, life was different and I can’t imagine your shoes.

Not something school-related...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:31 pm
[quote="Crookshanks"]Can you work on one mitzvah and make it your own? Do you have a mental health goal? Can you think of a parenting goal?[/quote

Yes all of those!!! I just can't come up with any specific:( But mitzva, mental health, and parenting are all necessary for me right now. I just can't 1) think of/pick something specific, 2) get myself to actually be motivated to do it.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:48 pm
My goals are usually to make it to the end of the day without yelling at anyone or crying. Wink
Maybe find a Sefer/book you can learn from a little each day, whether shmiras haloshon/ahavas chessed or emuna or even chumash or nach. Try daven a little more each day or say a couple of perakim of tehillim and learn their meaning. Join a volunteer network for delivering meals or helping out in a Gemach.
I’m so impressed by your desire to work on yourself and set goals!!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:50 pm
my goals are

To keep house clean
Be nice to dh
Give more att to kids

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 5:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes all of those!!! I just can't come up with any specific:( But mitzva, mental health, and parenting are all necessary for me right now. I just can't 1) think of/pick something specific, 2) get myself to actually be motivated to do it.

Sample goals:
Cut up veggies every morning. Eat when you're craving a snack.
Call your parents and in laws on Friday.
Start reading a book to each child during bedtime.
Learn meditations, practice before bedtime.
Buy a special soap\lotion, apply after every shower.
Move up your bedtime by a half hour or 15 minutes each night.
5 minutes before DH comes home, think of something positive about your day\something you appreciate about him and tell him over supper.
Add new foods to your diet.
Learn how to cook ethnic foods you've never tried.
Learn how to play an instrument.
Add a tefillah to your davening.
Say a perek of tehillim each night.
Call a friend you haven't spoke to in a while at a specific time each week.
Add a walk to your morning\evening routine.
Learn anger reducing techniques. Practice on your children.

As far as motivation goes...you can try charts with gold stickers, or giving yourself a dollar every day that you keep up this habit and buying something with that money at the end of the week\month.
Put a reminder once a month in your calendar for you to reflect on what worked and didn't work for you, and how you've grown.
Hatzlacha! I hope you feel more hischadshus in your day and life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational