Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
We work hard and you chill- and then we pay your taxes!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 10:15 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
This
I'm an sahm, and have never gone to work because the little I'd bring home doesn't make it worth it to change our lifestyle. Plus we'd lose out on govt health insurance.
It's not as simple as get a degree->earn more->afford life. Not at all.
BH we are doing okay. Hashem gives parnasa consistently.

This situation is temporary though. The small kids grow up and then you don't need to consider babysitting. But if you have nothing substantial to rejoin the workforce with, it creates a continuing cycle. If you have what to fall back on, it gives you a leg to stand on.

So while at this very moment, a degree may not be helpful. It can be very helpful at a different stage of your life.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
This situation is temporary though. The small kids grow up and then you don't need to consider babysitting. But if you have nothing substantial to rejoin the workforce with, it creates a continuing cycle. If you have what to fall back on, it gives you a leg to stand on.

So while at this very moment, a degree may not be helpful. It can be very helpful at a different stage of your life.

Also, there's always the beginning part where you're making an entry-level salary and making too much to qualify for government help and too little to cover your expenses comfortably. With a degree, hopefully that part is temporary. As you acquire more experience, and in some fields additional certifications, there should be room for growth to break out of that squeeze. With a non-degree job, I'm sure it's possible in many cases too.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:30 am
But even if you have a degree and are a professional, but you've been a SAHM for 10+ years you'll still have trouble re-entering the workforce.
I grapple with this all the time. I have a great career BH, but I also have 4 kids under the age of 8. I have no plans to be a SAHM even if continuing to work means coming out with nothing after taxes and childcare for this reason. I try to work as part time as possible just to stay current in my profession.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 11:38 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
But even if you have a degree and are a professional, but you've been a SAHM for 10+ years you'll still have trouble re-entering the workforce.
I grapple with this all the time. I have a great career BH, but I also have 4 kids under the age of 8. I have no plans to be a SAHM even if continuing to work means coming out with nothing after taxes and childcare for this reason. I try to work as part time as possible just to stay current in my profession.

This! It's a problem for many/most women in the whole wide world. Trying to re-enter workforce after a huge gap in employment. There are even secular organizations built around helping women break back in.

The degree doesn't help as much as everyone here seems to think it does.

Connections help. Networking helps. Knowing how to push your foot in despite your lackluster resume work.

My degree got me nowhere. My connections, and ability to network made all the difference.

Unless a person is going into a career that requires a degree. Medicine, law, therapy, etc. People are better off networking and getting jobs on the merits of their go-getter attitude.

All of that aside. It doesn't always pay to work when babies are home.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 5:50 pm
DVOM wrote:
I'm not a speech therapist, but I have a bunch of relatives who are and who are making a decent living from their work.

I'd say to find something you really love and think you'd be really excited to do.

I'm at the very end of a complicated pregnancy. I could have gone on disability leave 2 months ago. I didn't because I really love my work.

I do specialize and Its just a job to me. I show up to work and enjoy it but I don't make nearly enough. You really dont know what your relatives are making either. Being a secretary would have made more.

The amount of hours that go into my paperwork, speaking to patients, parents, lesson planning, CEU courses, buying my equipment. It really isnt worth it.

That's nice that you love your work but not everyone does

DVOM

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 7:00 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I do specialize and Its just a job to me. I show up to work and enjoy it but I don't make nearly enough. You really dont know what your relatives are making either. Being a secretary would have made more.

The amount of hours that go into my paperwork, speaking to patients, parents, lesson planning, CEU courses, buying my equipment. It really isnt worth it.

That's nice that you love your work but not everyone does

True. I count myself very lucky. I was responding to the poster who wrote that she doesn't know where to start and is looking to go back to work. My best advice is to find something you really enjoy. There's no guarantee that you're going to make it big in any field. I know some very highly educated individuals who are struggling financially. So I wouldn't go into a career thinking purely about the amount of money I'd make at it. Regardless of how much money you make, it's such a blessing to spend your days doing something you enjoy.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:41 pm
DVOM wrote:
True. I count myself very lucky. I was responding to the poster who wrote that she doesn't know where to start and is looking to go back to work. My best advice is to find something you really enjoy. There's no guarantee that you're going to make it big in any field. I know some very highly educated individuals who are struggling financially. So I wouldn't go into a career thinking purely about the amount of money I'd make at it. Regardless of how much money you make, it's such a blessing to spend your days doing something you enjoy.

Is it a secret what you do?
Have you always wanted a career in it?
When did you start education?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics