Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Nursing-Tisha B’aav

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:27 pm
Did anyone ask a shailah about fasting this year on Tisha Baav while nursing? My dh asked our Rav (ashkenaz, yeshivish) and he said I should fast until chatzos. I’m kind of surprised by this leniency and am wondering if anyone else got it. Also wondering if I should try to push myself past that. But the whole reason the rav says chatzos and not until you don’t feel well is BECAUSE he knows women WILL push themselves lol.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:29 pm
Do not try to push yourself past that. Been there done that. Follow the psak. Otherwise a day later it will hit you and can be very sick for a week.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:31 pm
Why push yourself? And why ask a rabbi if you’re not going to follow what he says?

Ftr I fast terribly slow I’d never try to push myself if rabbi said not to

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:33 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
Why push yourself? And why ask a rabbi if you’re not going to follow what he says?

Ftr I fast terribly slow I’d never try to push myself if rabbi said not to

Well it’s because Bh I do fast well in general. But never came up yet that I fasted all day while nursing. I do plan to follow it I think I’m just hoping I won’t feel guilty when it’s actually happening. Like if it’s chatzos and I feel fine then…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do not try to push yourself past that. Been there done that. Follow the psak. Otherwise a day later it will
hit you and can be very sick for a week.

Yikes that’s good to know. My baby is a newborn so I guess it’s good I have this psak.

lovemymom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:37 pm
Maybe it's bc your baby is newborn? My baby is 7 months and easily takes formula ( though I don't do it often) so probably different for me.

Will I still get sick after if I half nurse and half formula feed while fasting?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:42 pm
lovemymom wrote:
Maybe it's bc your baby is newborn? My baby is 7 months and easily takes formula ( though I don't do it often) so probably different for me.

Will I still get sick after if I half nurse and half formula feed while fasting?

Oh I wonder if the rav remembers when the baby was born because I don’t think my DH mentioned it.

I hope you’ll be fine!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well it’s because Bh I do fast well in general. But never came up yet that I fasted all day while nursing. I do plan to follow it I think I’m just hoping I won’t feel guilty when it’s actually happening. Like if it’s chatzos and I feel fine then…

First- yes this is normal. I have done the same thing for the last 2 years (one while pregnant, one while nursing) and will again this year (pregnant again..)

Even if you feel fine, the thing to remember is that you need to get the nutrients to give to your baby. It’s not just about you making it through the day, but your baby’s health as well to take into account. Try not to feel guilty, it may feel weird but just remember you are doing it to take care of you and your child and it’s 100% ok

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 7:46 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
First- yes this is normal. I have done the same thing for the last 2 years (one while pregnant, one while nursing) and will again this year (pregnant again..)

Even if you feel fine, the thing to remember is that you need to get the nutrients to give to your baby. It’s not just about you making it through the day, but your baby’s health as well to take into account. Try not to feel guilty, it may feel weird but just remember you are doing it to take care of you and your child and it’s 100% ok

thanks for the validation! If I recall correctly the past 2 years were nidches which makes a big difference? Unless I’m mixing up my years.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 4:30 am
Many women see a heavy drop in their milk supply the day after - next few days after nursing.
That is another reason.

Yes, if you are already supplementing, you can just add some more formula, but if your not, you can't just introduce formula to a baby who may not touch it and then won't have food to eat.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 4:36 am
Remember the baby is well under bar/bas mitzvah and is not at all obligated to fast.

blessedflower

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 4:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yikes that’s good to know. My baby is a newborn so I guess it’s good I have this psak.
DON'T FAST IF YOUR BABY IS A NEWBORN. it is so so so much harder to fast when nursing than when pregnant. Drink tons of water before even if you fast only until chatzos

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 5:22 am
blessedflower wrote:
DON'T FAST IF YOUR BABY IS A NEWBORN. it is so so so much harder to fast when nursing than when pregnant. Drink tons of water before even if you fast only until chatzos

Good idea. I didn’t even think about the fact that I’ll still be having to fast at night and in the morning which means no water and nursing definitely makes me really thirsty.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 5:25 am
This thread is making me think I should ask a shaila. My baby isn't a newborn anymore but he isn't on solids yet either. I'm exclusively nursing.

blessedflower

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 5:26 am
If it makes you feel any better I'm not fasting and my baby is 9mo. And jom kippur I got a heter to drink. I was shocked. My baby was 10 days old.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 5:28 am
blessedflower wrote:
If it makes you feel any better I'm not fasting and my baby is 9mo. And jom kippur I got a heter to drink. I was shocked. My baby was 10 days old.

I think 10 days is within the window that halacha considers you to be on a serious level of choleh so it makes some sense.

blessedflower

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 5:30 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
This thread is making me think I should ask a shaila. My baby isn't a newborn anymore but he isn't on solids yet either. I'm exclusively nursing.
I fasted when I nursed my dd, she was 6mo and by the afternoon I had no milk anymore she was crying and I was too weak to even make a bottle for her. My sil took the baby from me. Motse j"k I almost fainted. I couldn't see other than black for some time.
Not everyone gets so weak! But ask what you should do and eat and drink BEFORE YOU get that weak

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 6:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The age of the baby makes a bug difference in the psak. When my babies were exclusively dependent on breast milk
I got a different psak than when they were also taking formula/ bottles.

A person is supposed to push themselves for 9 av or Yom Kippur but if you start losing supply or baby is inconsolable that’s when heteirim come in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note