Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Introducing solids question

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 11:12 pm
My dh won't agree with me on this one. When you are first starting vegetables with your baby, do you cook them separate or will give it to them from the chicken soup mashed up? Dh was brought up eating the vegetables from the soup. But not when they're first starting solids! The soup has salt, spices, and other vegetables cooked inside that baby might be allergic too.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 11:14 pm
We do baby led weaning, that means from 6 months and up baby eats everything we do. ( minus honey and some choking hazards ) there is nothing wrong with a baby having spices or other things from the soup. Also according to many doctors if allergies don't run in your family you don't need to be so super careful about introducing one food at a time. We did multiple foods a day and it was fine.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 11:15 pm
My Dr told me to wait on the soup veggies until she’s tasted all the different veggies that are cooked in it (made separately) and then we could use it

Yes, because there can be allergies and you are supposed to only introduce one new food at a time (for me it was every week). Once my baby tried everything (but the onion, chicken and spices) her Dr said I can try the soup and if anything comes up we’d narrow it down from there

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 11:16 pm
Can someone pls clarify what’s baby led weaning ?

missknowitall

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 11:17 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Can someone pls clarify what’s baby led weaning ?

http://www.babyledweaning.com/

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:31 am
My doctor says to start one food at a time, but others says it's not usually an issue. So you can really decide (with doctor's guidance) how careful you want to be.
About salt and spices, I didn't think it was an allergy concern. I think it's just because having so much salt isn't healthy, and baby's don't care until they know what they're missing. So try to give babies plain veggies at first, but if the soup veggies are what's available, it's not a big deal.
Basically, both ways are fine! Do what works for you.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:33 am
Totally fine from the soup.
If they are 4 and 5 months then I just do plain avocado, plain sweet potato, plain baby cereal but 6 months and on its a new food every other day that just was part of our meal. Of course no honey until age 2.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:14 am
CAnt have Honey is till 2? I thought till one...

If you don’t have allergies in the family it’s not an issue and you can do more than one food at a time.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
CAnt have Honey is till 2? I thought till one...

If you don’t have allergies in the family it’s not an issue and you can do more than one food at a time.

Honey has nothing to do with allergies it is botulism. My Dr says age 2.

I introduce one food at a time not because of allergies but because of stomach upset. Don't want to overwhelm the stomach.

missknowitall

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:26 am
Honey is officially 1. It’s not mainstream opinion to not give until 2

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:30 am
missknowitall wrote:
Honey is officially 1. It’s not mainstream opinion to not give until 2

Yep. Besides the fact that honey rarely has this dangerous botulism, most babies can process it safely by six months and the vast majority by nine months. So twelve months is already extra insurance and is quite safe to wait for.

Also, don't freak out if you give your baby honey by mistake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics