Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Formula fed baby diapers smell terrible BUMP
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:27 pm
Is this normal? I literally can smell that he’s dirty when I walk near him. His clothes smell after I change him even if he didn’t sit in it. He’s exclusively formula fed.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:28 pm
Maybe he isn't on the right formula. My baby doesn't stink, I have to check if he needs a diaper change.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:32 pm
I tried other ones and he wouldn’t take it. Now I’m trying the most gentle kind and he keeps making faces and turning away. How would I switch formulas on a baby who doesn’t take bottles easily as it is?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:39 pm
Poop smells like poop. Do breasmilk poop diapers smells like roses?

(Formula mom here)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:46 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

(Formula mom here)

In my experience with other babies, the diapers did not smell this bad until they were on solids.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:22 pm
Yes it's normal.

Formula is heavier. Breastfed babies poop almost doesn't smell.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:25 pm
Breastfed poop doesn't smell bad until they start solids. I've heard it's normal for formula fed poop to smell bad. You might only notice if you're used to the former.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:22 pm
I'm bumping this up. Is it normal for a formula fed baby's diaper to smell terrible? Also his gas? This is not my first baby and I don't remember it being so bad. he's on kendamil which is organic and supposedly super gentle, formula doesn't even smell when I make a bottle. I asked his pediatrician about it and he said it's normal. Is it?

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 9:19 pm
Yes formula diapers smell terrible in my opinion.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 9:29 pm
In my childrens' case, formula was definitely a more foul odor than breastmilk. But what your describing sounds like baby is on the wrong formula. Also is there any mucous in the stool?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 9:32 pm
I only formula feed so what you’re Describing is normal to me. Dirty diapers smell like sht. No huge revelation there

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

(Formula mom here)

Not roses but definitely kind of sweet smelling and not anywhere relatable to formula fed.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In my experience with other babies, the diapers did not smell this bad until they were on solids.

Diapers of formula fed babies smell more than breastfed, but shouldn't smell as bad as when solids are introduced. He might be having stomach issues.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:14 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
Not roses but definitely kind of sweet smelling and not anywhere relatable to formula fed.

I agree. My pre-solids breastfed babies' poop doesn't smell offensive to me. Sometimes I even kind of like the smell actually! And it's quite mild; sometimes I have to get very close and inhale very deeply just to be sure.

I'm not familiar with the smell of formula poop but from everything I've heard, I'm not interested in smelling that lol.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:17 pm
I breastfeed for as long as possible because I'm never ready for the stinky poop diapers.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:21 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I breastfeed for as long as possible because I'm never ready for the stinky poop diapers.

There's a trade off. I kind of enjoy the switch because it's the end of blowout diapers. Solids blowout would be the worst but that's barely ever happened to me.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
There's a trade off. I kind of enjoy the switch because it's the end of blowout diapers. Solids blowout would be the worst but that's barely ever happened to me.

Oh yes blowouts forgot about that. They would only happen when I'd put a super expensive gift outfit on them.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:24 pm
DD could only tolerate Enfamil LactoFree, and her diapers were the worst!

We called her diaper pail "the toxic waste dump". Confused

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:29 pm
If it’s stomach issues what should I do since the doctor says it’s normal?

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:29 pm
I'm glad this thread was started because my 7m baby's poo started smelling like manure a few weeks ago. I thought it was the increase in solids but we actually just started formula a few weeks ago, 1 to 2 bottles a day. This makes sense because I think it correlates more to the formula increase than the solids. We also use organic.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics