Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Attention grammar experts! Please help!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 7:43 pm
I need to help someone out and I realized I am incredibly rusty! Can anyone help me with the following practice examples?

Instructions: Find the prepositional phrases, conjunctions, conjunctive adverbs, and interjections. For each conjunction, tell what type it is.
Note: Every sentence has a conjunction and at least one prepositional phrase.

1. Because the company was expanding, the manager consulted with knowledgeable experts.
2. Yuck! I don’t like crawling under porches to collect snails, or digging in the sand to find earthworms.
3. Not only did Claudia slip on the ice and break her arm, but she also got into a crash on the way to the hospital.
4. Marci and Bob planned on traveling to Europe in the summer; however, neither of them could take off from work.
5. Most of the agents left work early yet the offices were still open.
6. Although Mr. Chin found his missing glasses beneath the couch in the living room, he lost them twice more before lunch.

So for number 1- Because is a subordinate conjunction, with is a preposition but not a prepositional phrase... am I missing something?

Tia!

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 9:49 pm
Is this elementary homework? Seems like it might be, in which case I would not overthink it. #1 prepositional phrase is "with knowledgeable experts."

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 5:37 am
seeker wrote:
Is this elementary homework? Seems like it might be, in which case I would not overthink it. #1 prepositional phrase is "with knowledgeable experts."

Ah you’re right... somehow I was looking for something like a preposition that uses several words instead of just including the object.
Yes, this is basic parts of speech (which I guess I haven’t studied in decades 🙈).

I’m having trouble discerning a conjunctive adverb from a subordinate conjunction... google isn’t that helpful, any tips?

There was once a thread several pages long about all the grammar lovers here... where are you all??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club