Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Night toilet training

cherrylover

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:25 am
How do I even start with night toilet training my almost 3 year old? She still drinks a bottle before she falls asleep

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:27 am
Does she wake up wet?

cherrylover

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Does she wake up wet?

Yes.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 3:34 pm
Mine knows how to hold her bladder (and woke up dry) so I didn’t have to eliminate milk before bed, but it sounds like that should be the first step

healthymom1

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 3:43 pm
My 4 year old who has been potty trained since around 2.5 decided on his own he didn’t want pull ups at night that was around his 4th bday. So we practiced and only took it off once he was dry for a week.

I only have 1 trained but I think Ill let them decide when they’re ready. I also give water at night

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 11:55 pm
Can I wait for my child to become dry on their own? Or do I have to go through a few weeks of wet linen?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:06 am
Why is a 3yo still drinking a bottle? That makes no sense. Nobody needs a bottle after they are a year old.

You also shouldn't give her liquids right before bed.

First, get her off the bottle, and time her last drink (from a cup!) at least an hour before bedtime.

Take her to the bathroom right before you tuck her in.

Have a baby monitor in her room. When you hear her fussing at night, pick her up and put her on the toilet, and when she's done put her back in bed. Try not to talk too much, or she'll get too awake.

Eventually she'll realize that when she gets that fussy feeling at night, that means that she needs the bathroom. Make sure she can get out of bed on her own, so she can get herself to the toilet.

Sticker chart in the morning, to remind her about how great it was that she went to the bathroom and stayed dry all night.

Tell her what a big girl she is, for giving up the bottle, drinking from a cup, and staying dry. Buy her some Hello Kitty underwear to celebrate. Big girl panties are a huge motivator!

DD was completely night trained at 2 and a half.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:07 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
Can I wait for my child to become dry on their own? Or do I have to go through a few weeks of wet linen?

I think staying dry at night needs to happen on it's own. All of my kids were dry by 4 without me doing anything bh. I do not take them to the bathroom during the night.

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:10 am
My 5.5 year old son is still not dry at night. Dr said to just wait for it to happen naturally...

(my daughter has been dry since she was 2 though... On her own)

raich

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 10:12 am
I wouldn't do anything special to train at night. If she's trained during the day, make a big deal about how big she is etc, and keep her in diapers or pull ups at night. Once she is dry overnight for a few weeks straight you can switch her to wearing underwear overnight instead.

I second all the imas who said to cut out the liquids right before bed. Imagine drinking a full water bottle right before your own bedtime! Basically recipe for nighttime bathroom trips.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training