Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
WWYD camera for nine year old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 10:50 am
Nine year old dd was dying for a real digital camera. She has the little kids one made in China. I found a real cute one for 40$ on Amazon. She had earned it for good behavior. It arrived and we discovered that it doesn’t play back video on the device, only on the computer. She’s disappointed. And now claims that “all her friends” have canon elph cameras. I check Amazon and it’s like 146$.
I checked with one friends mom. It was an afikomen present. One other friend is a rich kid who gets everything. Don’t know about the others.
Dd has adhd and hasn’t been the most responsible with her stuff.
WWYD?
Also when did it become normal for nine year olds to have expensive digital cameras? I feel old.

Stars

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 10:56 am
$146 is not a ton of money. Is there any way she can earn it by doing jobs? That way she might be more responsible over it.

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 10:56 am
I bought my 8 year old an "expensive" camera on ebay, used, so it was very affordable. Can you do that?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 11:04 am
I would try to replace the broken one with an equivalent one. Now is a good time to explain that we don’t have to have what “everyone” has. I don’t think it makes sense to give a little kid an expensive camera.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I would try to replace the broken one with an equivalent one. Now is a good time to explain that we don’t have to have what “everyone” has. I don’t think it makes sense to give a little kid an expensive camera.

There is no broken one. But there’s a high likelihood that any fragile camera I get her will be broken.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 1:35 pm
Is there a middle road? Where you get a slightly better camera than the one you bought, but not as expensive as 146? I remember buying cameras that played back videos and it wasn't that much. Maybe around $50. Most cameras allow you to play back videos-it sounds unusual that this one doesn't.

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 1:39 pm
I am seeing used Canon Elph Cameras on eBay for less than $50

Here's one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20342.....id=28

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 1:44 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Is there a middle road? Where you get a slightly better camera than the one you bought, but not as expensive as 146? I remember buying cameras that played back videos and it wasn't that much. Maybe around $50. Most cameras allow you to play back videos-it sounds unusual that this one doesn't.

I didn’t see any in-between really
These 40$ ones are made in China and all seem to be either missing playback or have very low playback. I tried the memory card on the laptop and you can hear the sound of the video.
If you have any 50$ ones that play back on a normal volume can you post the link?

amother
Black

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:06 pm
I got my 9yo the vtech kidizoom creator camera. She was a little old for it, but she was still thrilled.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:08 pm
I found a good refurbished deal on the canon website. Think it was around $65.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:12 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
I found a good refurbished deal on the canon website. Think it was around $65.

That’s also a bit more than I’m comfortable with. We Bh can afford one for 150$ as well it’s just that
A. I don’t want to spend an amount where I’ll be upset if she breaks or loses it.
B. She earned the 40$ through good behavior so I’m not really comfortable just upping the amount.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:12 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I got my 9yo the vtech kidizoom creator camera. She was a little old for it, but she was still thrilled.

She’s had a kiddie one that’s made in China for a bit over a year now. She wanted a more grown up one at this point.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s also a bit more than I’m comfortable with. We Bh can afford one for 150$ as well it’s just that
A. I don’t want to spend an amount where I’ll be upset if she breaks or loses it.
B. She earned the 40$ through good behavior so I’m not really comfortable just upping the amount.

You really cant compare image quality of the kiddie cameras to a canon powershot... teach her to use it responsibly!
Does your daughter need to know that this cost a bit more? Just tell her u found a better camera for her, and zeh-hu!

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:18 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
I am seeing used Canon Elph Cameras on eBay for less than $50

Here's one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20342.....id=28

Parts only, as is. That means its broken.

I'd look at the Kodak PixPro. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....4dcaa

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:18 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
You really cant compare image quality of the kiddie cameras to a canon powershot... teach her to use it responsibly!
Does your daughter need to know that this cost a bit more? Just tell her u found a better camera for her, and zeh-hu!

When there’s adhd in the mix it’s not that simple.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There is no broken one. But there’s a high likelihood that any fragile camera I get her will be broken.

Yes, but you used the money she earned to purchase a camera that lacks a feature she needs. At the very least you should be putting in the $40.

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:21 pm
Can you link the amazon one. I wànt to get my 8 year old a camera. She also has issues with the cheap 40 dollar ones and I want to surprise her with a new one.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:25 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Can you link the amazon one. I wànt to get my 8 year old a camera. She also has issues with the cheap 40 dollar ones and I want to surprise her with a new one.

This is the one we just got her.

Digital Camera,30MP Compact Camera,2.7 inch Pocket Camera,Rechargeable Small Digital Camera for Kids,Students,School,Children,Photography with 8X Zoom (32GB SD Card Included),Red https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....a2ff4

It’s a really great camera for the price besides this one flaw. Even includes a memory card.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 11:26 pm
We bought our girls this one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kod.....78948

Initially they were upset it wasn’t Cannon but one decided to get it anyway & they both now have it & love it! It has great modes, plays back video, it’s cute (her friends said it does more than their cannons)

It’s more than the 40, but not so expensive &it might be a good compromise.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 11:56 pm
Why does it have to be cannon? There are other 'off' brands that are cheaper.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children