Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Babies ear is misshapen

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 10:31 am
My baby was born with one ear a little squashed and misshapen Any recommendations of what can be done and recommendations of drs used. Preferably in NJ. Tia.

shmoosh

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 10:35 am
There’s some sort of plastic piece I think that is used. Ask your pediatrician about it.

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 11:14 am
How old is your baby? Where is the ear misshapen?
I gave birth 4 weeks ago and my baby's ear was misshapen, the doctor told us to consider a shaper from a plastic surgeon but we were hesitant because of the cost. As we were debating whether to do it or not, it resolved itself at around 2.5 weeks old.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
How old is your baby? Where is the ear misshapen?
I gave birth 4 weeks ago and my baby's ear was misshapen, the doctor told us to consider a shaper from a plastic surgeon but we were hesitant because of the cost. As we were debating whether to do it or not, it resolved itself at around 2.5 weeks old.

Dr told us at 2 weeks it may resolve itself and not to bother with moulds as it's so expensive. It's very mild a little squashed in on top. Now already 6 weeks and nothing has changed and even though it's not so noticable I don't want it like this forever.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 11:40 am
Dr. Gila Weinstein

She is in Brooklyn (NJ patents have come in).

Done none surgically with ear molding.

Best results achieved the sooner the better.

Good luck.

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:06 pm
My niece went to CHOP.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:18 pm
Can I ask why this is such a big deal for you? Can it not just be left alone? Everyone is born unique, why try to fix everything? Sorry for all the questions, I just get a little upset at how everyone tries fixing everything these days.

If she's otherwise healthy, this should be the worst thing. When she has hair it'll cover her ear iyh. My son has a droopy eye, his doctors for his condition offered surgery (cosmetic reasons entirely at this point) he had an appointment, they asked him some questions, if he gets bullied etc he said no, and he doesn't want surgery (at the moment) it doesn't bother him bh. We don't make an issue of it. He's a gorgeous, handsome chap bH.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:22 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Can I ask why this is such a big deal for you? Can it not just be left alone? Everyone is born unique, why try to fix everything? Sorry for all the questions, I just get a little upset at how everyone tries fixing everything these days.

If she's otherwise healthy, this should be the worst thing. When she has hair it'll cover her ear iyh. My son has a droopy eye, his doctors for his condition offered surgery (cosmetic reasons entirely at this point) he had an appointment, they asked him some questions, if he gets bullied etc he said no, and he doesn't want surgery (at the moment) it doesn't bother him bh. We don't make an issue of it. He's a gorgeous, handsome chap bH.

Would you say the same about getting your child braces for crooked teeth? We don’t know what the ear looks like. If there is a painless and non-surgical way to correct it, why not?

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:31 pm
To start: We definitely do and must accept those with any type of cosmetic differences.

That being said:

Life is tough enough in the first place, why not alleviate what we can?!

Why wait until there is an issue with it (either by being made fun of or the child themselves feeling uncomfortable) and THEN decide? At that point there is the psychological ramifications to deal with as well!

And at tht point the medical intervention is much more complex and involved as well...

Would you get dental braces for your child if it was just cosmetic? I sure would (and have).

My opinion (yes this is just my opinion) is, get braces, ear correction, any eye issue correction, take care of acne etc. Whatever is ‘possible’.

And deal with whatever is ‘not possible’ as best as you could. There is always plenty of that.

Why is heavens name not? If you have either the means or the insurance. Id do anything to make a child feel as ‘typically comfortable’ as possible.

Trust me, they will have a whole lot to deal with in life without that. A whole lot.

Best of luck.

honey36

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 12:31 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

First if all, if it was a boy hair will not cover it. Even girls- if she wants to wear a pony it will not cover it.

I had a baby whose ears stuck out- not a lot but noticeable. My peadiatrician said to tape them back when she's very young to correct it. It was a major pain- the tape kept falling off, I had to keep replacing it etc. But I did it anyways because Id rather a little tape now vs surgery when she's older. Granted, she may not get bullied or want the surgery, but likely that she would.

I know a few people who did this surgery when kids were 6 or 7 years. Could've avoided it if they just taped it when they were infants.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 1:24 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Would you say the same about getting your child braces for crooked teeth? We don’t know what the ear looks like. If there is a painless and non-surgical way to correct it, why not?

Fair point, we do sort teeth out, I still think it's different to an ear. I just feel like we have to accept that nothing in life is perfect. If we as parents don't make a deal out of something then the child will be confident etc.

Life isn't all about looks.

My friends 7th baby has a big strawberry on his neck, its so not a big deal. After a few kids, she's just grateful for a healthy adorable baby knh. They'll sort it when he's older, or it'll sort itself out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics