Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Do you have a coffee table?

Do you have a coffee table in lounge?
Yes  
 34%  [ 22 ]
No  
 64%  [ 41 ]
Other  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 64

4g01o

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 1:47 pm
In between your couches, in lounge?

If yes, what do you like about it?

I want one, dh doesn't.

Imma613

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 1:52 pm
We had one at one point but put it in storage. I like open spaces.

4g01o

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 1:57 pm
Imma613 wrote:
We had one at one point but put it in storage. I like open spaces.

Ye that's what dh said but I feel like it's quite a large room already, all open plan with dining room and sukka room (playroom) and there is nothing along the centres of any of them besides on shabbos when the table gets pushed in the middle of that section of room.

I think it'll look nice, and be functional like kids can play lego etc on there instead of on the couches, somewhere to put our shabbos magazines...I.found a stunning modern one. Dh said we shouldn't really buy now in the 3 weeks so I'll wait anyway.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:01 pm
We have small end tables but no coffee table. When we had a coffee table the kids jumped all over it, brought toys there and moved it around. Plus we like open spaces.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:02 pm
Ha! Had the same argument today. I don’t want one and does. I think it clutters the place. I’m ok with a small side table in between the sofa and armchairs.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:19 pm
Never liked them. They're clutter magnets, they beg people to put their dirty feet on them, and they're not even all that convenient when you serve refreshments because they're too low. Plus, they fly in the face of "lifnei iver lo titen michshol." You don't have to be legally blind to trip over one; you just have to be looking straight ahead rather than down. In another thread I quoted staggering statistics of how many accidents involved coffee tables.

From a purely design standpoint, I like the look of wide-open spaces. My idea of an ideal living room arrangement is one in which you could comfortably teach a small folk-dance class.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:22 pm
Didn't have one when kids were little. But now I do. My girls sit on floor around it and play games, we do puzzles on it, etc...

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 4:02 pm
I have two end tables , no coffee table.

icebreaker

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 4:06 pm
Yes, we have a coffee table. I can’t imagine my living room without one.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 4:15 pm
Yes I have a coffee table as well as two end tables.

Mine is a lovely visual element and it isn't a "clutter" magnet because I keep it clean from clutter when the clutter isn't being used.

Besides visually finishing the living room, it is also highly functional. How do you have people in the living room if they don't have someplace to place their drinks or food. I don't understand how you have just an open space.
There is a reason why the classic living room set up is a couch with two easy chairs and a coffee table in between with some end tables. Or with a sectional you would have a square table so that it is accessible for everyone seated.

etky

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 4:00 pm
I'd love to get rid of mine but DH objects.
He feels a living room just needs one even if we almost never use it.
I would much prefer the open space.
Mine is never cluttered and it looks nice in a minimalist sort of way with the one or two things I keep on it but it's kind of a white elephant.
Truth is we don't really entertain at all in the living room.
Almost all our entertaining takes place on Shabbat in the dining room.
At most guests will sit on the couches in the living room while waiting for the meal to begin.
And when it's just us and we're just sitting around reading we will occasionally put a cup/mug on an end table but for the most part we don't eat or drink in the living room.

lucky14

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 11:20 pm
I agree with the others who say it just ends up being cluttered.
We had one but when my oldest started walking we got rid of it so he would have more room to move around. I don't miss having one at all. I like the space. Even if our room was huge with tons of space I'd still feel this way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars