Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Protectsia Writing in a Magazine
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:16 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Never. The whole "getting exposure by working for free" is a big scam.

Why’s it a scam? If I’m a makeup artist isn’t it worth doing some faces of friends/family for free or less than market rate to get business? Work comes from word of mouth. I know that’s how I choose providers.
What should ppl do instead?

I never thought that they use the ideas submitted for their own writers to use. Yikes.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:26 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Why’s it a scam? If I’m a makeup artist isn’t it worth doing some faces of friends/family for free or less than market rate to get business? Work comes from word of mouth. I know that’s how I choose providers.

I never thought that they use the ideas submitted for their own writers to use. Yikes.

I can only tell you about my own industry. I don't know of one person who became successful by working for free. Sure, they get "exposure," but that doesn't equal a paycheck.

Laiya

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:10 pm
watergirl wrote:
Yup. Totally a thing. That's one reason I never send any stories when magazines run contests for prizes. They literally tell you that your story becomes their property once you send it in if they print it or if they don't. The top three will win some kind of prize and the rest get filed away... wake up people. This is their way of getting you to send in content for their own use when they run out of ideas. And it happens. Chicken Soup for the Soul really knew what they were doing with their model - millions of story submissions for free = no author to pay; how many books are in their series now? And frum publishers wisely took up the same model (I am sure CSFTS did not invent it) and there you go. And this is not even theft, its a very smart way to sell books, magazines, etc and not have to pay authors. Win-win!

Ok maybe this is naive, but Chicken Soup does publish stories written by people, and the supposedly pay those people, no? Even if they get many more submissions than they print.

enneamom

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:49 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Never. The whole "getting exposure by working for free" is a big scam.

This

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:35 pm
I dont know.
We are talking about the frum magazines?
I have gotten paid 10 cents per word for every article I submitted that they accepted. They never printed something they didnt accept.

My daughter also has gotten stuff published and it was the same.

When the magazines run contests, iirc, they say that any piece that gets printed gets paid, in addition to the prize for the best one, or for the one who wins the raffle.

I never pitched an idea, only sent full fledged articles.

trixx

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:50 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

That's not comp work. That's building a portfolio / gaining experience (in your makeup example).

Comp work for makeup would be like "we're doing a fashion shoot, come apply makeup for free, if we like it then we'll write your name in the fine print"

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:56 pm
Ok thanks I just want to point out that none gave me an email address to send to

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 1:41 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
submissions@mishpacha.com

someone posted this on page one

along with other advice to look at submissions tabs on all websites
goodluck

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 11:28 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
someone posted this on page one

along with other advice to look at submissions tabs on all websites
goodluck

I tried that email address there is no such thing as submissions@mishpacha.com
and the other one was just a link to mishpachas website where you could send a letter to the editor if you want but not much else. so like I said no help from any of you

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 11:35 pm
https://mishpacha.com/help-center/

You can always contact them at the generic email address and ask them for assistance or to forward to the submissions department …

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 12:47 am

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:03 am
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:

I tried that there is no such email address
I really wish to send in writings to magazines but if the one and only email address ppl are willing to divulge I guess I'll have to resign and let the big shots run the show

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:

I really wish to send in writings to magazines but if the one and only email address ppl are willing to divulge doesn't exist I guess I'll have to resign and let the big shots run the show

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really wish to send in writings to magazines but if the one and only email address ppl are willing to divulge doesn't exist I guess I'll have to resign and let the big shots run the show

Just for kicks, I sent an email to that address. It works. Did you perhaps mistype?

rdmom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:50 am
Submissions@binahmagazine.com

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:50 am
I have had a submission accepted using that email address. It can take a couple weeks till they get back to you.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 1:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What do you mean there is no such email address? How do you know?

mom2mysouls

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:06 am
Op, I think it's Ami. They are running a contest of a fiction story. You can write a story and send it in. They publish a different one every week and supposedly people rate on it.

And btw many writers have been rejected in the beginning for various reasons, and then ended up somewhere. You never know...

qwerty4

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:12 am
Ami: submissions@amimagazine.org
Binah: stories@binahmagazine.com
Mishpacha: submissions@mishpacha.com

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:18 am
Did your email come back saying it didn't go through, or did you just not get a response?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club