Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you use for karpas?
Previous  1  2  3

What do you use for karpas?
Potato (we make shehakol on potato rest of the year)  
 3%  [ 5 ]
Potato (we make ha'adamah on potato all year)  
 55%  [ 81 ]
Radish (we make shehakol on potato)  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Radish (we make ha'adamah on potato)  
 9%  [ 14 ]
Other vegetable (we make shehakol on potato)  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Other vegetable (we make ha'adamah on potato)  
 23%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 146

beloved

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 6:40 am
I grew up using potato, but my in-laws use parsley so that's what we use.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:01 am
imasinger wrote:
Only if we can sub out melted chocolate for salt water.

Who's going to be the first to post how much of their house they've cleaned already?

No no no... The best part of peach is the sweet banana mixed in with the salt water... Such a lovely taste. I look fwd to that all year

My dad has also used strawberry, melon, and other random veggies throughout the years.

But there is one vegetable you can't use for karpas... Anyone know what it is?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:03 am
We use celery.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:10 am
singleagain wrote:
No no no... The best part of peach is the sweet banana mixed in with the salt water... Such a lovely taste. I look fwd to that all year

My dad has also used strawberry, melon, and other random veggies throughout the years.

But there is one vegetable you can't use for karpas... Anyone know what it is?

You can't you veggies that are ha'etz if that's what you mean.

AFAIK, it's not a lechatchila to use any vegetable.
What people use should have a mesorah.
I guess people just used what they had so parsley, potato, radish makes sense, and I think I've heard celeru, but especially on pesach mesorah should go. As always, ask your own rav.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You can't you veggies that are ha'etz if that's what you mean.

AFAIK, it's not a lechatchila to use any vegetable.
What people use should have a mesorah.
I guess people just used what they had so parsley, potato, radish makes sense, and I think I've heard celeru, but especially on pesach mesorah should go. As always, as your own rav.

Nope. The only vegetable you can't use is marror itself. And if marror is the only vegetable you have, you do the marror part of the Seder at karpas

Now as to my banana, and other random veggies. The Rav tzl who founded my community used banana so the kids should ask questions. For that reason it sounds like any veggie would be fine by him

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:19 am
singleagain wrote:
Nope. The only vegetable you can't use is marror itself. And if marror is the only vegetable you have, you do the marror part of the Seder at karpas

Now as to my banana, and other random veggies. The Rav tzl who founded my community used banana so the kids should ask questions. For that reason it sounds like any veggie would be fine by him

Hm but you can still halachically use it. I thought you meant a vegetable that can't be used ever.
BTW what do you use for maror? Just curious because of the banana which sounds exciting.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hm but you can still halachically use it. I thought you meant a vegetable that can't be used ever.
BTW what do you use for maror? Just curious because of the banana which sounds exciting.

That's what I remember learning.

Marror we use boring lettuce and ground horseradish.

keym

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:26 am
We use celery for karpas and romaine lettuce for marror.
In a pinch, we'll use green pepper, carrot, or cucumber for karpas. It has to be a raw vegetable.
Even if we have nothing else, we won't use lettuce for karpas.
This reminds me that it's time to do my Pesach shopping. It's already July. I'm behind.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:15 am
Grew up using boiled potato, dh uses celery (I make potato for one of my kids who prefers it). We hold potatoes are haadamah (never heard otherwise till this thread) and raw onions are shehakol (knew someone who ate them like apples- ha asked a shaila and was told to make shehakol)

Our sem teacher taught us that the word karpas hints to various minhagim:
Chuf (k) carrots
Radish (r) radish
Pay (p) potatoes/parsley
Samech (s) celery

ETA romaine & horseradish for marror (each person according to their preference)

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:02 am
We use either radish or cucumber (serve both and everyone chooses.) I think we sometimes used to use potato instead of cucumber.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Self explanatory.
If other list which.

Um, why is this being discussed in July?

Genius

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:13 am
keym wrote:
We use celery for karpas and romaine lettuce for marror.
In a pinch, we'll use green pepper, carrot, or cucumber for karpas. It has to be a raw vegetable.
Even if we have nothing else, we won't use lettuce for karpas.
This reminds me that it's time to do my Pesach shopping. It's already July. I'm behind.

I read the entire thread and was hoping to be the first to say carrots. You ruined it for me, but I’ll say it anyway: carrots!! Anybody else?

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:30 am
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
We use cucumbers.. does anyone else?

We do! I always grew up using cucumbers, though I hadn’t heard of anyone else who did. DH grew up with potatoes. My kids love cucumbers and request them as karpas no matter whose seder we’re attending.

Tof Umachol

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:50 am
We use celery and cucumber.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 12:37 pm
Can someone explain to me why some things are adomah, and others are shehakol?

I mean, they all grow from the ground, and are not trees, right? So what makes an onion different from a potato (or a parsnip, or a carrot, or a cucumber?)

ETA: I got out my copy of Halachos of Brochas.

Onions are shehakol when raw, adomah when cooked, and mezanot when they are onion rings. Go figure!

Potatoes are always adomah, no matter what.

Weird fact for the day - papayas are also adomah, because of some weird way that the "tree" grows. Also weird, the fruit of the prickly pear is ha eitz, even though cactus is not technically a tree.

I'm so glad this wasn't on the test!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 1:16 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Can someone explain to me why some things are adomah, and others are shehakol?

I mean, they all grow from the ground, and are not trees, right? So what makes an onion different from a potato (or a parsnip, or a carrot, or a cucumber?)

ETA: I got out my copy of Halachos of Brochas.

Onions are shehakol when raw, adomah when cooked, and mezanot when they are onion rings. Go figure!

Potatoes are always adomah, no matter what.

Weird fact for the day - papayas are also adomah, because of some weird way that the "tree" grows. Also weird, the fruit of the prickly pear is ha eitz, even though cactus is not technically a tree.

I'm so glad this wasn't on the test!

A potato is a machlokes because or how it grows.

Bubby6

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
Um, why is this being discussed in July?

It's always good to be prepared early. I'm up to the dining room which is late. Usually there by June.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics