Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/O dirt and bugs in the pool

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:41 pm
I agree that people who get to use someone's pool for free should be grateful, but I don't agree that that extends to ignoring bugs. Ignoring bugs can be hard. Imagine if someone invited you over for lunch at their house and there were bugs on the table. Would you find it easy to be grateful and ignore the bugs?

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:57 pm
A pool is outside. Of course there can be bugs outside. When you have a bbq outside there are sometimes flies or mosquitos, that is part is being outside. What magical qualities do you think that pool owners have that make them have no bugs in their yards ever?

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:58 pm
I definitely wouldn’t sit there complaining about the bugs to my hostess..

I’m not saying that people should ignore bugs but you can get them out of the water yourself or if it really bothers you too much just leave and don’t use the pool. How is someone supposed to prevent bugs from landing in the pool?

I think in terms of manners it is very rude to complain about bugs to your hostess, whether at an outdoor meal (again, can’t control bugs) or in the pool. They are doing you a favor and if you don’t like it no one is forcing you to stay, but complaining about something that is not your hosts fault nor can really be prevented- is tactless and rude. Also comes off as ungrateful in my opinion

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:59 pm
Bugs come inside houses too. Part of house and pool maintenance is removing the bugs when they enter. In houses, you use a flyswatter and bug spray. In pools, you use a net.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bugs come inside houses too. Part of house and pool maintenance is removing the bugs when they enter. In houses, you use a flyswatter and bug spray. In pools, you use a net.

Do you own a pool? In a house you can put screens on your windows & keep your doors closed to keep out as many flies & bugs as possible. In a house you can apply treatment and sprays to prevent infestation. With pools you can do none of the above. Even if you use a net once a day to clear out all the bugs, there are bound to be new ones in the water.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you want her to stand there with the net, waiting for bugs 24/7? You can clean it 10 times a day and there will still be bugs in the pool. Again, if it bothers the guest so much they can do it themselves. If I was in someone’s house and saw a spider I would kill it myself, I wouldn’t wait until the host came to kill it for me.

Regardless, it still isnt ok to complain to your host about it.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you're in a pool and you see a bug, take it out yourself instead of criticizing the host about it. Bugs get in a pool, there isn't anything the host can do about it and it's rude and immature to complain to a host that there's a bug in her pool.

smss

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:21 am
So either
1) get out and go home
Or
2) clean the bugs out yourself

There is no option 3, complain to the person who generously let you use their pool.

(I've never had a pool btw, if that matters. Does it matter?)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:15 am
Oh my gosh I had the same thing happened to us. And I just handed them the cleaner thing that takes out the bugs. Don't know why I can't think what it's called right now. And said that they're welcome to take them out themselves. And they were screeching which was extremely annoying. I think I might even said quite nicely if you don't like them that you don't have to come back again. We didn't put up our pool this year and I'm actually enjoying the peace and quiet of people not asking to use it. It was just too much work for me to be bothered this year.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:38 am
How many bugs are we talking about here? One? A couple? A swarm? An infestation? A plague?

Bugs happen. If it's one or two, then deal with it.

If the whole surface of the pool is covered with bugs, then it's probably not a good day to be swimming anyway. Get some ice pops and go sit in front of a fan.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:03 am
Seriously outdoor pools Attract bugs so you clean it with a net if you don’t like it get your own pool . Don’t compare it to people who have bugs on the dining room table bugs live outside. I have an above ground pool not a nice underground one but still have people asking to use my pool I work hard to keep it clean and maintain the Chemicals in the water if a guest would complain to me I would be turened off. Now if the water is green that’s something else …. Also dirt comes in the pool from running in and out from your feet

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:15 am
Even if it's inside someone's house - would you necessarily tell them if you saw a bug? I was once in someone's house helping to set the table. They told me there were utensils in a drawer. I went into the kitchen and there was a roach in the drawer, scuttling away. I hate even typing the word because then the emoji image shows up and I'm squeamish about even seeing an image, that's how much I don't want to encounter them. But why would I say anything to my host?

First of all, we were in a warm climate place where they were all over, no matter how clean you are. Secondly, I assumed they knew they had a roach problem. There's never only one. Why would you tell anyone you found something gross in their house? Unless it's in your bed and you won't be able to sleep and you need someone to remove it, I'd just let it go.

And that's not even getting into bugs in a pool. Bugs live outdoors all over. Kinda like freaking out if there's a fly at a picnic. If someone complained about a bug in my outdoor property I'd be very confused (and perhaps a bit curious) about how their mind works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette