Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Revamp Leftover Cake

Fave

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:31 pm
I have leftover cake (was too dry). What can I do with it (other than rum balls)?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:39 pm
Trifle

https://www.thepioneerwoman.co.....ipes/

Last edited by Elfrida on Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:40 pm
Make a trifle.

You can make a gourmet one but a basic one is very easy to make.

Here is the basic template - moisten cake pieces; some form of custard, pudding or whipped cream and fruit. Most raspberries have you moistening the cake pieces in some sort of liqueur - whatever you like the taste of but you could make it non-alcoholic of course.

Assemble the Trifle
Place 1/3 of the cake cubes in the bottom of the trifle dish, jam side up. Top the cake cubes with 1/3 of the fruit, followed by 1/3 of the custard and finally with 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat layers two more times. Decorate the top with fresh fruit. Keep chilled until ready to serve.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

corolla

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:43 pm
Fave wrote:
I have leftover cake (was too dry). What can I do with it (other than rum balls)?

Cake pops- Mix with frosting, form into balls, insert popsicle sticks, and decorate

Trifle- Break up the cake into pieces, add some to the bottom of a clear bowl and layer with frosting/cream and berries or jam. Repeat until all the cake is used up. Feel free to change up the fillings with chocolate chips, sprinkles, any kind of fruit, etc.

Mini mousse cups- Same idea as the trifle, but in smaller portions or clear cups. Great for simchos.

Biscotti- Cut the cake into strips and toast at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until firm. Dip half into chocolate, as you would biscotti. I love dipping them into tea or coffee!

Ice Box Cake- Same as the trifle idea, but layer it in a 9x13 pan and freeze. Cut into squares and enjoy.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:06 pm
Corolla, what kind of frosting would you use for cake pops?

corolla

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:09 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Corolla, what kind of frosting would you use for cake pops?

Any kind. You can use the one from the can, make your own (if you're feeling adventurous), even melted chocolate. I like to use something like Rich's whip or any pareve or dairy whipped cream. I'm sure you can even use nut butter. Basically, anything that will hold the crumbs together so you can shape it.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:37 pm
Thank you

Fave

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:56 pm
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins