Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/O mold in bathroom cup... Open to any advice!

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:04 am
I was always a big cleaner and this is coming as a shock to me. I see that I'm missing a lot of basic cleaning skills. I keep my apartment really neat and clean, but I guess I'm realizing now that it's more superficial. I clean my bathroom sink when it gets grimy but I didn't realize that cleaning sinks is a "thing". I'm also missing basic cleaning principles- I know that bleach kills bacteria but I'm scared to put bleach on my sink for example, because will it stain it white? See, I'm confused and missing household cleaning knowledge. Like deep cleaning, bathrooms, showers, kitchen sink... I also don't know which products to use. I basically only use fantastik. Which is not enough. I'm open to hearing any advice- can you imas help fill in the gaps of my missing knowledge? Thank you!

EPL

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:16 am
I clean my sinks, kitchen- every day, bathroom-at least once a week, with a powdered scrub such as comet or ajax with bleach. They won't damage the sinks, and should be done regularly. Besides that, I use only disposable cups in the bathroom for rinsing after brushing teeth. I also find that my toothbrush holder begins to smell after a while, since some water accumulates in it, so I regularly wash that out with an old toothbrush. I boil all toothbrushes about once a month to kill bacteria , unless they look like the need to be replaced, then they are discarded, and I will always boil the toothbrush if someone has been sick. Hope this helps you.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:36 am
I personally think Fantastic is enough. It says it kills 99.9% of germs. Besides, a certain amount of germs are ok and the immune system learns to deal with it. I’m not a clean freak, so take my advice for what it’s worth.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:49 am
What kind of sink do you have? Bleach will not "stain" a porcelain sink regardless of color. I can't speak for epoxy or engineered surfaces, though pretty sure most are bleach-resistant. I don't bleach stainless steel because bleach is corrosive and can cause pitting. I have never bleached a sink in my life unless it's the sink that was stained and Bon Ami or other scouring powder didn't do the trick. Hot water and soap on a scrubbie is perfectly fine to clean a grungy sink, as is salt or baking soda.

I wipe down the sink surround every time I use it, mainly because my faucets leak and my sinks are shallow, so no matter what I do, water splashes all over. I use a plain washcloth or very small hand towel, and that keeps the place reasonably clean. Occasionally I take an old toothbrush to crevices when I see that dark grunge (a combo of mineral deposit and mold organisms) has accumulated there. And every so often I pour a little vinegar--not bleach--around the faucets and let it sit there for a while to dissolve hard water mineral deposits.

My concern is basic cleanliness and esthetics, not germs. OP, why do you feel fantastik is not enough? This is a bathroom or kitchen, not a neurosurgery suite.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics