Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Buckwheat

corolla

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 5:58 pm
Does anybody eat buckwheat (kasha)? Besides us Russians, that is? If so, how do you eat it? Just curious.

egam

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:02 pm
I do. But I’m in the same category as you 😉. We eat it plain, with sautéed mushrooms, with milk and sugar and something that I only saw in my family - as blintzes filling.

corolla

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:22 pm
egam wrote:
I do. But I’m in the same category as you 😉. We eat it plain, with sautéed mushrooms, with milk and sugar and something that I only saw in my family - as blintzes filling.

Wow, blintzes! I've never heard of that.

Reality

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:25 pm
I love kasha. Grew up with having it for shabbos sometimes. Now I rarely make it because nobody else in my house will eat it.

tweety1

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:28 pm
Yum! I love kasha. I very often cook it plain and add it in chicken soup instead of noodles. I'm.the.best.mother. when I serve it. My kids cannot get enough. Other things I do with kasha is, I bake chicken with lots of onions/garlic. When it's almost done I add kasha, salt and water and cover it. Bake till done. It's delicious! I sometimes do this same on the stove. It's even better on the stove. I sautee onion/garlic and then cook the kasha in it. Also very good. Amnons pizza in bp sells kasha knishes so when I need a good something I order that.

egam

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:35 pm
corolla wrote:
Wow, blintzes! I've never heard of that.

I know. I’ve never seen it anywhere else. It’s mix of kasha and chopped hard boiled egg. Sooo good.

grateful2bmom

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:23 pm
I do. First mix it with raw egg and brown together in the pot and then add boiling water. My kids like it with ketchup. It’s delicious with melted cheese also.
Also kasha varnishkes - with noodles.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:41 pm
I love it. I make kasha varnishkes by toasting the groats in a pan with a raw egg till dry, then cook it in salted water with a sauteed pureed onion. Mixed with bowtie pasta. I'll also make kasha knishes and kasha varenikes.

liveandlove.ima

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:05 pm
I make kasha real often as a side just simple plain boiled water add oil & salt, and kasha, let it cook for a few. scoop it on plate. I like to garnish with onion crisps

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:07 pm
I grew up with it as a regular side dish and love it!! sauté an onion. mix kasha with a raw egg. add to onions, and keep stirring until egg is dry/cooked. add water, salt, and black pepper. (I take water-kasha ratio from box recipe. I always forget it) delish!!
I like the medium granulation

Scotty

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:11 pm
It’s our favorite breakfast! With milk and salt and butter.

My great grandmother came from Russia-Poland but there are three American generations between her and me :-)

My mother makes it with varnishkes and onions for YT but I don’t prefer it because there are too many noodles ruining my kasha :-)

I miss kasha knishes!!! So much.

My mother used to make kasha pie for supper. Heaven. My husband would refuse to enter the kitchen if I tried it.

My neighbor eats it in chicken soup. I haven’t done that but I do serve as a grain side for chicken week nights (with soy milk and salt) and it’s super popular.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:14 pm
I don't really like it (ok I don't really know that, because the last time I tried it was decades ago) but my mother would sometimes made kasha noodles for the adults that liked it.

ImmaBubby

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:25 pm
Thanks for reminding me that I love kasha and varnishkes! I pretty much follow the package directions. Can’t say it’s a hit with everyone, but a good 75% of my family enjoys it.

corolla

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 10:11 pm
Wow! I had no idea so many people actually eat it. Thanks for sharing!
Just curious, what does adding a raw egg do?

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 10:16 pm
corolla wrote:
Wow! I had no idea so many people actually eat it. Thanks for sharing!
Just curious, what does adding a raw egg do?

keeps it from clumping into a ball, I believe.

corolla

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 10:18 pm
bunchagirlies wrote:
keeps it from clumping into a ball, I believe.

So interesting. I just add some olive oil when it's ready.. That usually works

tweety1

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 10:36 pm
corolla wrote:
So interesting. I just add some olive oil when it's ready.. That usually works

I only do it when I cook the "whole" kasha and when I wanna use it for soup. It keeps it from being clumpy.

mommy9

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:06 pm
Scotty wrote:
It’s our favorite breakfast! With milk and salt and butter.

My great grandmother came from Russia-Poland but there are three American generations between her and me :-)

My mother makes it with varnishkes and onions for YT but I don’t prefer it because there are too many noodles ruining my kasha :-)

I miss kasha knishes!!! So much.

My mother used to make kasha pie for supper. Heaven. My husband would refuse to enter the kitchen if I tried it.

My neighbor eats it in chicken soup. I haven’t done that but I do serve as a grain side for chicken week nights (with soy milk and salt) and it’s super popular.

How do you make kasha pie? My husband grew up eating kasha and now that he has to cut back on carbs I started making it. For shavuos I found buckwheat flour and made bletlach (blintz leaves) out of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes