Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this okay?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 10:08 pm
Baby is a week away from 8 months and still doesn't really use consonants. She's great at eye contact and communicating, responds appropriately to funny games, and lately has increased her cooing so she "babbles" all day, except is sounds like cooing. It's more like "eeehhhh" or if her mouth is closed "mmmm". She even often coos along to songs which is very cute, but it's still the ehh variety.

She did increase her consonants a few weeks ago when some teeth came in (dadadada, baba), but seems to have slowed that down again. I'd say it's 98% percent cooing and 2% consonants. Is this a concern?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 10:33 am
Bumping because I'm a ftm and not sure what's normal. In any case, there's nothing to do at this age, right? I talk to her all the time, I put her hand on my mouth while I say ma-ma-ma so she can feel it.

I have a strong feeling she's totally fine based on her overall development, and think she'll do it when she's ready but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:40 am
Bumping one last time in case anyone has any thoughts on this

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:41 am
I wouldn’t worry. If still not making sounds at a year you can get her evaluated but she’s still little.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:45 am
Hi OP I just saw this thread
I'm an EI SLP

Ideally, we want- baby to coos and babbles when playing alone or with you, make speech-like babbling sounds, like pa, ba, and mi, giggles and laughs (6-8 months), makes sounds when happy or upset.

This is from the ASHA website bc they sum it up better than I can:

Check if your child can hear. See if she turns to noises or looks at you when you talk. Pay attention to ear problems and infections, and see your doctor.
Respond to your child. Look at him when he makes noises. Talk to him. Imitate the sounds he makes.
Laugh when she does. Imitate the faces she makes.
Teach your baby to imitate actions, like peek-a-boo, clapping, blowing kisses, and waving bye-bye. This teaches him how to take turns. We take turns when we talk.
Talk about what you do during the day. Say things like “Mommy is washing your hair”; “You are eating peas”; and “Oh, these peas are good!”
Talk about where you go, what you do there, and who and what you see. Say things like, “We are going to Grandma’s house. Grandma has a dog. You can pet the dog.”
Teach animal sounds, like “A cow says ‘moo.’”
Read to your child every day.
Talk to your child in the language you are most comfortable using.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
Hi OP I just saw this thread
I'm an EI SLP

Ideally, we want- baby to coos and babbles when playing alone or with you, make speech-like babbling sounds, like pa, ba, and mi, giggles and laughs (6-8 months), makes sounds when happy or upset.

This is from the ASHA website bc they sum it up better than I can:

Check if your child can hear. See if she turns to noises or looks at you when you talk. Pay attention to ear problems and infections, and see your doctor.
Respond to your child. Look at him when he makes noises. Talk to him. Imitate the sounds he makes.
Laugh when she does. Imitate the faces she makes.
Teach your baby to imitate actions, like peek-a-boo, clapping, blowing kisses, and waving bye-bye. This teaches him how to take turns. We take turns when we talk.
Talk about what you do during the day. Say things like “Mommy is washing your hair”; “You are eating peas”; and “Oh, these peas are good!”
Talk about where you go, what you do there, and who and what you see. Say things like, “We are going to Grandma’s house. Grandma has a dog. You can pet the dog.”
Teach animal sounds, like “A cow says ‘moo.’”
Read to your child every day.
Talk to your child in the language you are most comfortable using.

Thank you so much for this. So she does all the stuff in your first paragraph minus the consonants. She does a lot of babbling, to herself, to us, when she's playing, when she's excited, when she sees our pets, but all without consonants. She'll just say excitedly "aaaaaa".

We do lots of back and forth interaction but I'll try to imitate her even more.

She doesn't clap, wave bye bye, or blow kisses yet, but she does hold a cloth over face and then pull it off for peek-a-boo, so I can start with taking turns there.

We read a few books daily bc it's part of her wind down for sleep, and she seems to recognize her favorite pages, but I think her focus is more on turning the page to get to the end when we read. Sometimes she barely looks at the pictures in her rush to turn the page and I barely have time to read/talk about it. Some of our books have "touchy-feely" parts, and she often touches them in a way like she's doing it to be "yotzei" and then quickly turns the page. I think she just really likes turning pages?

But I think I'll start by working more on imitating and taking turns. Thank you!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 7:03 pm
She sounds fine dw

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 7:14 pm
Do you suspect hearing loss?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics