Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New tenants trying to move in already
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
not how it works where I'm from. You pay first, last, and security at the time that you sign. The purpose of security is that they're supposed to use for any damage they need to fix after you leave, though many landlords find very dubious reasons to keep it, as I'm sure this one will.

Which is why you don't pay the last months rent.
You can always pay them what they claim you owe, after.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 11:51 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Which is why you don't pay the last months rent.
You can always pay them what they claim you owe, after.

Most legal leases, you pay first and last when you sign the lease. No pay = no lease.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 11:52 am
watergirl wrote:
Most legal leases, you pay first and last when you sign the lease. No pay = no lease.

This is when she's moving out already.

They cant kick her out before 30 days anyways. (If she was up to date with rent until then.)

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 11:59 am
Op I can tell you as a landlord that if your landlord calls you one more time tell him you will report him for harassment.
he will be terrified . if you are in the US the courts are completely on the tenant side, no landlord can start any court proceedings against you now.
also the apartment is yours until July 31- yours and nobody’s but yours.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:01 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
This is when she's moving out already.

They cant kick her out before 30 days anyways. (If she was up to date with rent until then.)

I had to pay first and last at the time I signed the lease before moving in. So last is already paid, it was paid years ago. Also had to pay security at that time, which I doubt I'll be getting back, but I can live with that, it's not worth prolonging dealing with this landlord. The good news is, there isn't anything he can do either. He's welcome to try to kick me out, but he's not going to get far in three weeks, even if he did have cause, which he doesn't.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:03 pm
watergirl wrote:
The landlord has to provide an itemized list of repairs and cost in order to keep any of the deposit. Most don’t do it but you can push back (I have) and have been able to get more of my deposit back when they see I know the law.

Easier to just steal the fridge. LOL

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are moving in 3 weeks. Since giving notice 2 months ago that we'd be out by the end of July, we've had prospective tenants coming by to see the place, which is fine, obviously the landlord needed to line up the next tenant. He signed a lease with the next people about a month ago, for August 1st. The new tenants have since come by a few times to measure stuff, which again, fine, I get they want to figure out where their furniture is going to go.

The last couple of weeks, however, they've been getting increasingly demanding. They wanted us to clear out an outdoor shed as well as one closet inside the house so they could start bringing some of their things. I said no. Then a few days ago, they asked us to relinquish the use of our driveway for the remained of our time here so they could park a storage container there. I said no.

Today I got a nasty call from the landlord saying he was going to start eviction proceedings if I don't cave to the new tenants. I laughed and told him go ahead and good luck with that. We own our new home, already closed, so an "eviction" can't hurt us. Anyway, an eviction procedure takes a lot longer than 3 weeks. I reminded him that our lease does not end until July 31, and we're actually doing him a favor that we'll be out by the 27th. But until the 27th, we are legally the tenants here and we don't owe anyone anything other than keeping the space in good condition and leaving it broom clean once we're out. He and the new tenant are now camping out on the lawn and peeking in the windows and it's really creepy and weird and I'm not sure what to do now.

Call the cops. Tell them you have intruders staring into your windows and threatening you.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, I'm assuming at this point I'm not getting my security deposit back. Which stinks, but I'm not going to fight it. Small price to pay to put this behind me. But I do need to get through the next 3 weeks...

That is why, people need to not pay the last months rent. Just tell the landlords to keep the security deposit and that’s it.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:10 pm
What weird and creepy people! Do you share a house with your landlord?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:11 pm
watergirl wrote:

So don’t pay the second last months rent...
And then they can keep the last months rent and security for the last two months.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:20 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
That is why, people need to not pay the last months rent. Just tell the landlords to keep the security deposit and that’s it.

I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not but at this point since she already paid, what if she cleared out the appliances equal in value to the rent and then offered to give it back in exchange for the deposit.

Sounds totally insane but the landlord is insane also.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:22 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not but at this point since she already paid, what if she cleared out the appliances equal in value to the rent and then offered to give it back in exchange for the deposit.

I’m all for it😃 it’s not like I have anything to lose lol

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:27 pm
I'm totally horrified by this landlord's behavior.

(a landlord)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:28 pm
causemommysaid wrote:

NGL, it's tempting! New Pesach fridge lol. I will see how things play out. Today has been uneventful, we'll see what happens in the next few days. If I'm bothered again, I will escalate, if not, we'll pretend it never happened.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 12:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
NGL, it's tempting! New Pesach fridge lol. I will see how things play out. Today has been uneventful, we'll see what happens in the next few days. If I'm bothered again, I will escalate, if not, we'll pretend it never happened.

It's so much fun plotting revenge even if we won't follow through. Twisted Evil

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 6:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had to pay first and last at the time I signed the lease before moving in. So last is already paid, it was paid years ago. Also had to pay security at that time, which I doubt I'll be getting back, but I can live with that, it's not worth prolonging dealing with this landlord. The good news is, there isn't anything he can do either. He's welcome to try to kick me out, but he's not going to get far in three weeks, even if he did have cause, which he doesn't.

When we realized we weren't going to get our security and deposit back, we didn't pay the last 2 months rent. We were open when we gave notice that we knew from other tenants that they weren't honest and weren't going to let it fly. (Obviously not applicable to you anymore, but for anyone else reading...)

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 7:49 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Op I can tell you as a landlord that if your landlord calls you one more time tell him you will report him for harassment.
he will be terrified . if you are in the US the courts are completely on the tenant side, no landlord can start any court proceedings against you now.
also the apartment is yours until July 31- yours and nobody’s but yours.

Not in NY. I'm a landlord. Courts in NY are extremely pro tenants. Btdt in court more than once.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 7:50 pm
Hey op landlords suck never even the “normal” ones always have an issue. But you’ll be living in your new house and your right the security it’s a small price to pay just consider it part of the cost of your new home. Plus you may be getting important mail at your old address that slips through the forwarding process so you don’t want to completely burn your bridges.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating