Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Before and After MUA pics

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 5:53 pm
I always cringe when I see the before pic the make up artist posted right next to the after.

Like they need to show you proof of how ugly the woman was before Vs how beautiful she is now courtesy to the brilliant artist's make up skills....

I know , I know. This is probably not the intention. But do they realise how mean they come across?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 5:54 pm
I agree but I think the clients are asked if they want their picture posted so it’s really their choice of it is.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 5:59 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I agree but I think the clients are asked if they want their picture posted so it’s really their choice of it is.

I once clearly told the woman not to post but she couldn't care and did.

It was the day of my wedding and a clear breach of my privacy.

But either way, they do it so fast, I don't think the client is so focused why she needs the pic. Until she gets tagged on social media and sees her pale face. Take into consideration that the MUA will often look for bad lighting Vs good lighting.

If you take a good look at the pics, you'll notice this sometimes.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 6:03 pm
OMG, totally agree

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:19 am
TBH, I tend to cringe at the "after" pix. Not because the client is unattractive, but because the makeup is.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:39 am
I think with permission it is fine.

I personally love to look at before and after pictures because it makes me feel better and more realistic about how I look without the aid of a professional makeup job.

I also look at pictures to get a sense of how to apply makeup better - especially for the shape of my eyes. I like a look where the features are enhanced by the makeup and not where all you notice is the makeup - although that kind of editorial look is beautiful to look at in pictures just like it there is "editorial" clothing that is beautiful to look at in magazines or online but which I and most people would never wear in real life.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I always cringe when I see the before pic the make up artist posted right next to the after.

Like they need to show you proof of how ugly the woman was before Vs how beautiful she is now courtesy to the brilliant artist's make up skills....

I know , I know. This is probably not the intention. But do they realise how mean they come across?

My family member asked the MUA to remove her before and after picture for this reason.
I think this particular mua got the message and now only posts after pictures.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:44 am
Most of the before pics don’t look ugly, they look normal. Like the way I look when I wake up…

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:52 am
I totally disagree..it's not meant at all to show how the client went from ugly to pretty..it's how they went from regular to glam. Typically they're getting their makeup done for an event so this makes perfect sense. The artist is looking to show how she can emphasize one's eyes or cheekbones or whatever.

I did one time see one of these posts, and there was a comment which I assume was meant to be complimentary but was actually horrible. It said something like "OMG what a stunning after pic!! Her chosson won't be able to recognize her!!" Seriously? Rolling Eyes

windchime

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:56 am
I agree, and if a mua puts up pictures without client's permission, I wouldn't call her Mua ;-)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:57 am
Many people look way better in their before picture. Just sayin’

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:14 am
They do it to show their skills of enhancing features, covering up blemishes etc... not to show "look how I turn ugly into beautiful".
Most before pics aren't really ugly just freshly scrubbed and bare.

I'm a mua and I will never post without permission. Which is why I barely post Very Happy . Most clients don't want their pretty face on Instagram. It's hard to create a social media profile like that but I respect my clients' privacy.

I do take before and after pics sometimes but that is just kept on my phone to be able to show my work to private individuals. I will never post a before.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:23 am
I had once that a make-up artist posted a picture of me when I asked her not to. When I messaged her to remove the picture, she blocked me from her account.
There are also make-up artists that edit and enhance the pictures they're posting.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:25 am; edited 3 times in total

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:24 am
I'm so happy I got engaged and married way before social media and Instagram was around

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:24 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
I'm so happy I got engaged and married way before social media and Instagram was around

So did I, but I still get my face professionally done for simchas.....

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:25 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:

I'm happy I got married before having a professional MUA was de rigueur.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette