Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help! Brand new white shirt collar corners dirty

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:09 pm
I’m having an issue for the past few months and would really appreciate your advice. Many of our white shirt collar corners get dirty after the washing machine or dryer. I can’t remove the stain. Have you ever experienced this? What is causing the stain? How can I remove the stain? DH’a brand new white shirt collar corner has black marks on them. Thank you so much for your help!!

lovemykid!

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:04 pm
We had the same issue and I didn’t know what it was! I was just looking something up last week on the shirt manufacturer website and it mentions to remove the brass collar stays before washing because they can stain. Do you wash shirts with the collar stays in? That might be the issue.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:33 pm
No my husband’s shirts don’t have the brass stays. Thank you.

SYA

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:36 pm
Check it after the wash before drying if it's stained then to see if it's coming from the washer or dryer.

I once had a crayon melt and ruin all the shirts. Took a while to turn on the empty dryer to heat it to get the crayon easier off the dryer walls. Otherwise each drying cycle more would melt on new clothes.
Also check all pockets of anything was left inside like a pen or marker

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:48 pm
Did his old shirts have grey at the sleeves also? It's a common issue and white shirts need a lot of work to keep white.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:15 pm
One second, the point/tip of the collar (that is not near/touching the neck)? That does sound like there's a collar stay sewed inside that is causing issues.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:20 pm
I know what op is talking about. This has happened to me as well. I have managed to have the stains mostly disappear when I treated. I’m not sure where it comes from but the collar stay theory makes sense. Maybe it comes from plastic collar stays too?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:53 pm
At first I thought OP meant a ring around the collar. That comes from a combination of sweat, oils and dead skin. For someone prone to this, antiperspirant and exfoliating helps.
Also, very important to spray with pretreat as soon as you take off the shirt (even if you don't see a stain). Keep a bottle near the hamper, spray around inside of collar, cuffs and underarms, then drop in the hamper. That gives it time to work its way in until it's time to wash. No dryer after washing.
And then comes soaking as necessary, following the instructions on the Oxiclean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry