Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My children started to eat so much!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:07 pm
๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:15 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Thank you for that, FF! LOL

I say those words. The cut mentioned is definitely my favorite. I love dark meat. Always go for a drumstick/leg or a thigh.

In Israel, a boneless and skinless thigh is called "pargiyot", which I always thought sounded very classy, in a French kind of way. "Pargiyot cordon bleu, with petit pois and potatoes dauphine, served in a beurre blanc sauce."

Calling them "baby chickens" (which I've only heard on Imamother) brings up some extremely disturbing mental images. shock

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:27 pm
My parents are BT's so I grew up saying chicken breast. I don't think I've ever called it tops....maybe I've called it white/dark before. But I usually call chicken by what it is.

I don't think I've ever heard someone in real life call it tops/bottoms.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:32 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
My parents are BT's so I grew up saying chicken breast. I don't think I've ever called it tops....maybe I've called it white/dark before. But I usually call chicken by what it is.

LovesHashem, I am FFB and we call it a chicken breast. Never called it anything else. And thighs too. The real name Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:15 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh my gosh people. Grow up.

It's called a THIGH. Say it with me, THIGH THIGH THIGH!

See? The world didn't end.

There is nothing untznuah about a thigh, a leg, or even a chicken breast. Seriously. Rolling Eyes

Besides, I think saying "bottom" is much worse. What's next, chicken tushie?

Im sorry I had no idea it was called a thigh. We call it bottoms since it is the bottom of the chicken and I call the top beilig. Had no idea the word for it.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:30 pm
Does bottom always refer to an entire quarter or do some people use it to refer to just a thigh?

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:36 pm
We call the whole piece a bottom but each respective part by its name, thigh or leg.
Parents are BT.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:55 pm
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
Does bottom always refer to an entire quarter or do some people use it to refer to just a thigh?

Bottom is entire thing.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:30 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh my gosh people. Grow up.

It's called a THIGH. Say it with me, THIGH THIGH THIGH!

See? The world didn't end.

There is nothing untznuah about a thigh, a leg, or even a chicken breast. Seriously. Rolling Eyes

Besides, I think saying "bottom" is much worse. What's next, chicken tushie?

We're grown up thank you very much. In every single butcher store and grocery store I've been too, they're labeled chicken bottoms. I've never seen it be called a different name.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:21 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
We're grown up thank you very much. In every single butcher store and grocery store I've been too, they're labeled chicken bottoms. I've never seen it be called a different name.

In Israel it's labeled by proper names.

moonstone

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:00 am
I'd never heard of chicken tops and bottoms until Imamother. Gotta admit, I cringe a little whenever I read those words, they just sound so dumb.

Archie Bunker would love it, though- he always said "chicken chests."

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:04 am
LovesHashem wrote:

I live in Boro Park, Brooklyn. In the stores they are labeled as "chicken bottoms", and that's what people around here call it. Chicken tops, I've never heard, though. They're usually labeled as cutlets, or if still with the bones, chicken breast. Most people I know call it chicken cutlets, because I don't really know anyone that buys chicken breast still attached to the bone, unless they are buying a whole chicken.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:08 am
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:

In Brooklyn lingo, the bottom is the thigh+leg combo. If those are separated, it's "thigh" and "leg" or "drumstick". This is how they are labeled in the stores I shop in.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:40 am
LovesHashem wrote:
In Israel it's labeled by proper names.

They might be labelled by their proper name, but everyone I know calls it a ืžืฉื•ืœืฉ (triangle).

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:53 am
moonstone wrote:
I'd never heard of chicken tops and bottoms until Imamother. Gotta admit, I cringe a little whenever I read those words, they just sound so dumb.

Archie Bunker would love it, though- he always said "chicken chests."

That is one of my all time favorite episodes! (and when Archie gets kissed by Sammy Davis Jr.)

Some of the most brilliant writing on television.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:06 am
Elfrida wrote:
They might be labelled by their proper name, but everyone I know calls it a ืžืฉื•ืœืฉ (triangle).

Yep! My kids call them the meshulash. My family prefers the yereichayim, the thighs. Everyone could eat one, occasionally more. I try to get a variety of sizes by buying different brands.

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:57 am
In Australia we call it the maryland, I have no idea why ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ
In the butcher the separate pieces are called thigh and drumstick, but at home we often call the thigh the triangle, I learnt it from my husband - I never knew it was an Israeli thingโ€ฆ

But back to the original question. Yes, during summer, especially swimming days, my kids eat a ton. BH they are active and need the fuel.
And I find they grow a lot during the summer too. Just like plants Smile lots of food, water and sun and they thrive ๐ŸŒฑ

etky

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:24 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
LovesHashem, I am FFB and we call it a chicken breast. Never called it anything else. And thighs too. The real name Smile

Ah, but you're not from Brooklyn, are you? Wink

etky

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:37 am
Does no one actually use 'pulkeh' anymore for drumstick?
That's what we grew up (not Brooklyn, but nearby) calling them.
The thigh was always a thigh though for us.
Here in Israel most adults that I know call the thigh by the proper name 'ื™ืจืš ืขื•ืฃ' but kids call it the 'ืžืฉื•ืœืฉ" and parents will often refer to it that way for the kids' sake. I think kids in general prefer less 'graphic' names for chicken parts.
Growing up, cutlets from the breast meat were always schnitzel in our house. Cutlets was considered a very 'genteel' WASPy term Wink
Breast meat on the bone was just 'the white meat' as opposed to 'the dark meat' which was how the full chicken leg quarter was referred to.
Tops and bottoms were not terms that we used or even heard around us.

smss

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:40 am
LovesHashem wrote:

I heard it for the first time in camp. I was so confused...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics