Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Recipes for the 9 days
1  2  Next

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:59 pm
Looking for recipes for the 9 days that don’t revolve around quiche and pasta.
Please remember to include recipes!!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:06 pm
Soufflé? Khajapuri? Potato flatbread? Shakshuka? Do any of these seem appealing?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:07 pm
My new thing is quesadillas. I start with a base of toasted tortillas with cheese, and then there are toppings like:

Rice
Cubed roasted sweet potato
Beans
Corn
Avocado
Tomato
Salsa

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:07 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Soufflé? Khajapuri? Potato flatbread? Shakshuka? Do any of these seem appealing?

Yes!!! Recipes for everything except shakshuka please?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:08 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
My new thing is quesadillas. I start with a base of toasted tortillas with cheese, and then there are toppings like:

Rice
Cubed roasted sweet potato
Beans
Corn
Avocado
Tomato
Salsa

Just add and roll?

teachkids

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:10 pm
Our plan:
Sunday: Salmon teriyaki and mashed potatoes
Monday: Quiche
Tuesday: Scrambled eggs and pita and veggies
Wednesday: pasta and tuna OR cheese (half the family won't touch tuna, the other half can't have dairy)
Thursday: Falafel and pita with israeli salad and fries

Pre-fast Shalosh Shudes- quiche, salmon, pasta as each person prefers.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:15 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Just add and roll?

Pretty much! I also provide forks so that overstuffing the tortilla and food falling out while you eat are ok lol.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:18 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Yes!!! Recipes for everything except shakshuka please?

Here’s my khajapuri recipe. I need to dig a little more for the others but I’ll try to post later tonight.

Cheese filling:
8oz mozzarella, freshly grated
5oz feta, crumbled
1/3 c cottage cheese
1 egg
pinch of kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
2 eggs, cracked into separate cups
4-6 Tbsp butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Combine cheeses, 1 egg & salt. Stir well
3. Divide dough in half.
4. Roll one half into an oblong shape about 1/4" thick
5. Mound half cheese mixture in middle of the dough, and press into an even layer
6. Fold the long sides over the dough on each side. Twist and seal ends to form a boat shape
7. Brush folded edges with beaten egg
8. Bake at 425 for 10-14 mins, or until dough is lightly browned
9. Remove from oven, using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the center of the cheese. Pour one whole cracked egg into the indentation
10. Return to oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until egg white is mostly set
11. Remove from oven. Add 2-3 Tbsp butter
12. Use fork to mix up egg & butter into cheese filling
13. Repeat with remaining dough, cheese, egg & butter

Dough:
3/4 c milk
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
2.25 c bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened

Directions:
1. Warm milk to lukewarm (110F). Sprinkle yeast and sugar over milk and stir to dissolve.Let proof 5-10mins
2. Meanwhile, place 2c bread flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to blend & make a well in center
3. Add proofed yeast mixture to the well. Mix flour slowly until a dough forms and comes away from sides of bowl. Add softened butter, kneading into the dough.
4. Knead with your hands until dough is a soft and elastic pliable ball, adding in remaining quarter cup flour as needed if dough is too sticky.
5. Cover bowl with a towel and allow to rise for 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:40 pm
I like various grilled fish (tuna steaks, seared bronzino, salmon...) and will fill in some cheesy dishes for others like quesadillas, eggplant boats, Greek salad, and we'll also do some incredible beef burgers with all the fixins. Maybe grilled paninis and creamy tomato soup on Thursday night.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:08 pm
This is what I am thinking of so far:

- Veggie Soup, Focaccia bread topped with veggies, some type of vegetable salad

- Sea Bass**, fettuccini alfredo, spinach salad

- Blintz pie, root vegetable quiche, fruit drink

- Stuffed roasted eggplant, falafel balls, sweet potato fries

- Maybe veggie lasagna with fruit salad?

Other idea:
- Grilled salmon, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes
- Vegetarian Chilli
- Eggplant Parm
- Falafel Buffet with Pita
- Tuna patties with Buns and veggies
- Cheese & Spinach stuffed shells
- "Mock"aroni & cheese, rice, fruit salad/ drink

Let me know if you want any recipes. I don't have a recipes for all, but I can try to help.

** I never made sea bass yet. If anyone has a good recipe to share, I'll take it.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:25 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Here’s my khajapuri recipe. I need to dig a little more for the others but I’ll try to post later tonight.

Cheese filling:
8oz mozzarella, freshly grated
5oz feta, crumbled
1/3 c cottage cheese
1 egg
pinch of kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
2 eggs, cracked into separate cups
4-6 Tbsp butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Combine cheeses, 1 egg & salt. Stir well
3. Divide dough in half.
4. Roll one half into an oblong shape about 1/4" thick
5. Mound half cheese mixture in middle of the dough, and press into an even layer
6. Fold the long sides over the dough on each side. Twist and seal ends to form a boat shape
7. Brush folded edges with beaten egg
8. Bake at 425 for 10-14 mins, or until dough is lightly browned
9. Remove from oven, using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the center of the cheese. Pour one whole cracked egg into the indentation
10. Return to oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until egg white is mostly set
11. Remove from oven. Add 2-3 Tbsp butter
12. Use fork to mix up egg & butter into cheese filling
13. Repeat with remaining dough, cheese, egg & butter

Dough:
3/4 c milk
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
2.25 c bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened

Directions:
1. Warm milk to lukewarm (110F). Sprinkle yeast and sugar over milk and stir to dissolve.Let proof 5-10mins
2. Meanwhile, place 2c bread flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to blend & make a well in center
3. Add proofed yeast mixture to the well. Mix flour slowly until a dough forms and comes away from sides of bowl. Add softened butter, kneading into the dough.
4. Knead with your hands until dough is a soft and elastic pliable ball, adding in remaining quarter cup flour as needed if dough is too sticky.
5. Cover bowl with a towel and allow to rise for 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.

Thank you!!! I’ve never made dough before, I’m a little nervous. Is there by any chance a frozen dough I can use?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:26 pm
teachkids wrote:
Our plan:
Sunday: Salmon teriyaki and mashed potatoes
Monday: Quiche
Tuesday: Scrambled eggs and pita and veggies
Wednesday: pasta and tuna OR cheese (half the family won't touch tuna, the other half can't have dairy)
Thursday: Falafel and pita with israeli salad and fries

Pre-fast Shalosh Shudes- quiche, salmon, pasta as each person prefers.

Totally forgot I need to do that, thanks for the reminder!!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:57 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Thank you!!! I’ve never made dough before, I’m a little nervous. Is there by any chance a frozen dough I can use?

I’m not sure about frozen dough because I’ve never tried it, sorry. Maybe try using pizza dough and working some softened butter in? But also, don’t be intimidated by making dough—you can do it! Try buying instant (sometimes labeled rapid rise) yeast and substitute 1:1 in the recipe above, but shorten the rise times a little. It’s a bit more forgiving for your first time.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:48 pm
Potato flatbread
(adapted a bit from the smitten kitchen recipe here: https://smittenkitchen.com/201.....tter/)

1 recipe pizza dough (below, but frozen probably ok)
4 teaspoons fine sea or table salt
6 to 8 (1 kilo) small to medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
1 medium yellow onion, diced
~10oz feta, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
About 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves

In a medium bowl, combine the 1 quart lukewarm water with salt, stirring until the salt has dissolved. Slice the potatoes very thin (1/16 inch thick--I use my food processor for this), and put the sliced directly into the salted water, which prevents oxidation and also helps soften them so they cook up nicely. Let soak for 30 minutes to one hour on the counter, or up to overnight in the fridge.

Caramelize the onion, then mix with the crumbled feta.

Heat your oven to 500°F with a rack in the center.

Drain the potatoes in a colander and use your hands to press out as much water as possible, then pat dry on paper towels. Line a large, light colored baking sheet with parchment paper and roll out dough until it's about 1/8-1/4" thick. Spread the feta and onion mixture evenly over the dough. Layer the potato slices over cheese mixture, brushing with olive oil between layers and again on the top. Add a little more potato around the edges, since they tend to cook more quickly. Usually the salt the potatoes were soaked in is enough, but you can sprinkle more on if desired. Sprinkle with fresh pepper and rosemary, as desired (we usually go without).

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the topping is starting to turn golden brown and the crust is nicely bronzed underneath.

Dough:
2 cups minus 1 tablespoon (250 grams) all-purpose or bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons (5 grams) instant or active dry yeast
A heaped 1/4 teaspoon fine sea or table salt
A heaped 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
2/3 cups (150 grams) room temperature water

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Add the water and, using a wooden spoon or your hand, mix until well blended, about 30 seconds. Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature until the dough has more than doubled in volume, about 2 hours. Continue using instructions above.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:00 am
I made a great curry tilapia tonight.

2-3 tilapia loins, quartered
Flour, salt, pepper
1/2 can coconut milk (or more to taste)
Red curry powder
1 onion, sliced
1-2 handfuls of fresh spinach
Oil, butter, or margarine for the pan

Toss tilapia pieces in seasoned flour to coat. Shake off excess. Oil pan and cook on med high for 3-4 min; turn them so each side gets a chance to get crispy. It's ok if under done bc it'll simmer in the sauce later. Remove from heat.

Add sliced onions & saute until translucent. Add 1 tbsp red curry powder. Allow to get fragrant in the oil for a min or two, then add coconut milk. Add more curry powder if you'd like at this point. Let heat through, then add spinach; after a minute, add the fish back in. Let simmer for 10 min or so, then serve on bed of jasmine rice.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:35 am
Souffle

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk
Pinch of salt
8 oz cheese, shredded (I use cheddar)
6 eggs, separated
Spinach, drained, cooked and chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 F and position rack in the middle.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour. Add milk very slowly, a tablespoon or two at a time, stirring well and letting the sauce thicken each time before adding more. Don't leave unattended! Once all the milk is incorporated, add the salt, cheese, and spinach (if desired). Remove from heat as soon as the cheese is melted. Add a little of the sauce to the egg yolks to temper them, then add the egg yolks to the cheese sauce. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the cheese sauce to the egg whites. Pour mix into a 2 quart souffle dish. Run a knife in a circle around the dish, about 1" from the edge. Place souffle in preheated oven and bake one hour, until souffle is browned on top and very puffy. Serve immediately.

shanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:44 am
Yiddish mom,
Please post recipes for anything that can be made without cheese
Especially root veg quiche
And
Mockaroni
Thank you!!

Teomima

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 2:45 am
challahchallah wrote:
I’m not sure about frozen dough because I’ve never tried it, sorry. Maybe try using pizza dough and working some softened butter in? But also, don’t be intimidated by making dough—you can do it! Try buying instant (sometimes labeled rapid rise) yeast and substitute 1:1 in the recipe above, but shorten the rise times a little. It’s a bit more forgiving for your first time.

I make it all the time using basic parve white bread dough (I mix it in my bread machine, using the machine's white load recipe but omitting the powdered milk). I use the same dough for pizza crusts, too, so I think bought pizza dough or any homemade basic dough recipe will be good, too, OP.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:18 am
Teomima wrote:
I make it all the time using basic parve white bread dough (I mix it in my bread machine, using the machine's white load recipe but omitting the powdered milk). I use the same dough for pizza crusts, too, so I think bought pizza dough or any homemade basic dough recipe will be good, too, OP.

Great, thank you!!

Oldest

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:46 am
This was a hit last year: https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-3012 I served it with green beans and potatoes

I also do breakfast for dinner (pancakes, eggs) we do pasta and pizza and one night bagels
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals