Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Need Healthier Supper Ideas

Oldest

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:15 am
So I would describe my cooking style as mid-level healthyish. (If that makes any sense...) I am looking for healthier supper ideas to add to my menu. Nothing too out there (like tofu) as my dh is NOT what I would call an adventurous eater lol.
What healthy suppers do you make, and any ideas how to make something healthier?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:42 am
I try to cook in a healthy manner except for special occasions and I am not not really a gungho tofu person although I do appreciate its virtues in some stir fry dishes. I also have a few legume based dishes which my family truly enjoys.

I cook with leaner sources of protein and avoid heavily breaded, fried foods and foods with sauces that contain a lot of sugar - honey may be natural but it is still just sugar.

Most foods can be sauted with a small amount of oil provided that one cooks at a lower temperature. Also a good heavy pan doesn't have hot spots and so food cooks evenly without burning at a moderate temperature.

There are many sources for healthy recipes - Cooking Light has a lot of recipes in their archives and many of them are very simple with few ingredients and little prep.

This is one of my favorite Cooking Light recipes which I have been making for more than a decade. I use boneless skinless thighs

Smothered Chicken and Barley

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon dried mint
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
24 ounces (1 1/2 pounds) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cups dry pearl barley
14.5 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
thinly sliced green onions, for topping

In a small bowl, whisk together cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, mint, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Scoop out about half of the spice mixture and use it to season the chicken.

In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add chicken and cook until each side has browned, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.

Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Stir in onion, bell pepper and soy sauce - cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, barley, drained tomatoes and remaining spice mixture. Place chicken back into the skillet. Bring mixture to a boil - cover, reduce heat and simmer until the barely is tender and the chicken has cooked through, about 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with green onions just before serving.

Makes about 4 to 6 servings.

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:52 am
I like to make salad or veggies with a protein
Not sure if this is for kids or just adults
Examples: salad with chicken cutlets, or steak etc
Salmon with roasted veggies

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:28 am
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
I like to make salad or veggies with a protein
Not sure if this is for kids or just adults
Examples: salad with chicken cutlets, or steak etc
Salmon with roasted veggies

For kids it is important to include a healthy carb.

OP, here are some examples of healthy suppers I serve:
grilled cutlets with brown rice and vegetables (add some soy sauce and garlic and cook together)
almond flour baked schnitzel with sweet potatoes and carrots (last night's supper lol)
vegetable soup and homemade whole wheat pizza

smss

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:51 am
Tuna patties, brown rice pasta and sauce, baby carrots

Salmon, rice or mashed potatoes, broccoli

Grilled chicken in a pita with lettuce, Israeli salad, techina- and I do serve fries with this...

Baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese

#ibelieve

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:41 am
Do you have a grill Pan? You can make diff marinated for chicken cutlets( so no carb from bread crumbs…) and it takes pretty quick

Scotty

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:50 pm
Make a chart with three columns: veg, carb, protein. Then fill each column with the sort of healthy versions of that category your family enjoys. Pick three every supper and you’re done!

For example:

Protein:
Marinated grilled/baked chicken cutlets (no breading) -endless variations
Baked or grilled chicken quarters (little sweeteners no breading) - endless variations
Turkey legs, stewed
Turkey breast, cooked
Salmon (no breading low sweeteners/toppings)
Eggs (fried with spray) - endless variations

(We’re not so dairy oriented sorry)

Veg
Lettuce salad
Cut up veg
Steamed broccoli
Cooked string beans

Carb
Brown rice
Jasmine rice
Baked whole sweet potatoes
Baked potatoes (under chicken or whole)
Couscous, ferfel, pasta (pref whole wheat, smaller portions, used less frequently)
Tabouli (near East brand)
Refried beans
Chickpeas

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:53 pm
We like chickpea pasta and baked butternut squash fries as nutrient dense sides. Also garlic cauliflower mash, and cauliflower rice with mushrooms, peppers and coconut aminos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking