Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What to consider when moving after divorce?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:44 am
I'm posting in the parenting forum because my question is primarily about my children: What are the most important considerations when planning a move in such circumstances? (no family support)

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:49 am
I did it. And even though I was warned it would be hard for my kids I didn’t have a choice.
He kept the house and we are in a small apartment. It is very hard for my kids.
( not so much for me. ) ( The hard part for me is them having a hard rime and him keeping the house with his nee family!)
If I could I would try to make it as nice and as big as possible for them. Involve them in it.
I did make it fun when we got here. I hid dollars around for them to find and explore. But long term they complain a lot. ( Just as I was warned)
Sorry for not being able to cushion it.
I did move to a better neighborhood near friends etc. but the loss of the house itself is an issue and a loss for them.
So whatever you can do to make it easier for them I would.
Talking to myself here too.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:53 am
I did it also. Before you move, make sure you are moving within the distance you are allowed to as per your agreement.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:58 am
The community you move to should be one that does not socially or institutionally marginalize unmarried women. ie. Single mothers can be members of the shul, etc.

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:00 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
The community you move to should be one that does not socially or institutionally marginalize unmarried women. ie. Single mothers can be members of the shul, etc.

I think this is the most important factor.
I don't know your hashkafa, OP, but you should try to move somewhere where being a single mom doesn't make you a freak show.
Somewhere your kids will have friends who are also from single parent homes.
A welcoming shul, etc.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:00 am
I moved from a house to an apartment. My kids were young so it was not so bad although they did bring up missing the house. I did things like moving the 2.5 year old into a bed from a crib and having the kids share a room in the house so it wouldnt be a major change when we moved. It is a hard time and it is important to validate their feelings and your own as well. As my kids therapist explained "how can I expect to properly validate my child if im not validating myself?" Once we adjusted it was nice. I did things like have shalash seudot outside as a picnic in the courtyard and go on walking adventures exploring our new area to make it fun.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:02 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:

There was a shul near us that had parent learning vs. Avos ubanim (only fathers)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics