Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Destroying the house
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:01 am
Is it normal for toddlers to be so destructive? How am I supposed to handle this? My 3 year old and 2 year old are partners in crime, they do crazy things together and hype each other up. From when they woke up til they left to playgroup, my 3 year old dumped a basket of the baby's clothes and threw them all over my room, my 2 year old dumped out a bowl of cereal and milk onto the table and climbed ok the table to throw soggy cereal to the floor, they dumped a laundry hamper and somehow got their hands on my laptop and broke a key. Is this normal? How do people live like this? What can I do?

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:11 am
Normal.

(Unless I’m not normal, I’m which case I can’t answer…)

hodeez

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:17 am
Normal. My 3 and 2 year old boys have recently morphed into demons. All they do is destroy destroy. Hashem should give us strength!!

MommyM

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:19 am
Yes, totally normal.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:19 am
Yes it’s normal. That’s what toddlers do. I remember my toddlers spilling honey all over my kitchen to set a “trap”. Throwing things in the toilet to go fishing. Emptying out laundry baskets, coloring on the walls, throwing things out the window, dumping cereal bowls over their heads....
It’s not easy, but the best way to deal with it is just to work on yourself and your expectations.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:24 am
Yup my two year old destroys and grabs everything. I spend all day cleaning up the messes.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:16 am
The questions is not if the toddler's behavior is normal. The question is if the mother will succeed in remaining normal by the time the toddler graduates to asking for car keys.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:20 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Yes it’s normal. That’s what toddlers do. I remember my toddlers spilling honey all over my kitchen to set a “trap”. Throwing things in the toilet to go fishing. Emptying out laundry baskets, coloring on the walls, throwing things out the window, dumping cereal bowls over their heads....
It’s not easy, but the best way to deal with it is just to work on yourself and your expectations.

So true. I ended up turning one wall into a designated graffiti wall. The kids draw pictures of what they are thankful to H for. Now guests come over and it's their favorite feature of my bruised and battered house.

Also they know where the rags are. So if they make a mess they at the very least wipe it up. Yes even my 2 yr old.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:38 am
Yes, totally normal!!!!

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:45 am
Yes, it's normal toddler behavior. Whatever I don't want destroyed, is put out of toddlers reach.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:18 am
Yes. It’s normal. Especially when there are 2 of them together!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:34 am
Ok you made me feel marginally better because I'm not suffering alone. But how do you survive this? I can't function in messes, my head spins when everything is everywhere. And how do you keep them safe while you nurse? I nurse on the couch and hear them shredding toilet paper into the toilet or climbing the not so sturdy changing table and I feel like I just have to daven they survive the 15 minute feeding because there's really nothing I can do.

#ibelieve

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:39 am
Keep in mind that although it’s hard you want your toddlers to be doing this. This means they are healthy and age appropriate bh!!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:41 am
Normal.
Highly recommend the book “are your hands full” it’s a nice amount of money for parenting book but it’s changed how I’m able to handle these things. Perfect for this age!

keym

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok you made me feel marginally better because I'm not suffering alone. But how do you survive this? I can't function in messes, my head spins when everything is everywhere. And how do you keep them safe while you nurse? I nurse on the couch and hear them shredding toilet paper into the toilet or climbing the not so sturdy changing table and I feel like I just have to daven they survive the 15 minute feeding because there's really nothing I can do.

When I had 3 3 and under, I would lock or baby gate myself and all 3 of them into a safe room like the playroom to nurse.
I would feed the baby on a chair or on the floor while my toddlers did what they did
Even if they would pull out every toy in the room, at least I was able to see them and that they were safe.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:49 am
I'm surprised at how many ppl think it's normal.
Toddlers are mischievous by nature but it's our job as mother to teach them what's acceptable and what's not!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:50 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
I'm surprised at how many ppl think it's normal.
Toddlers are mischievous by nature but it's our job as mother to teach them what's acceptable and what's not!

Depends what you're referring to. Breaking a laptop is one thing (honestly, I would just keep it out of reach)
But dumping baskets of clothing is totally developmentally appropriate.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:55 am
Of course it's our job to teach them. But a normal toddler needs a lot of teaching. A normal toddler doesn't instinctively know that it's a bad idea to pull all the dirty plates off the table and dump them on the floor. They will learn eventually, but they will still continue to act this way during toddlerhood despite all of our teaching.

Also, teaching does not equal punishing. Teaching means telling them the right way to act, in a calm and patient voice. And then helping them clean up their messes. And then being prepared to do it all over again 30 seconds later.

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

daven of course that. but also, get cleaning help when needed!
and yes its normal, kids have lots of energy in them, but also stock up on toys and activities so they release it the right way!

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:11 pm
Normal. This is what the child proofing industry was set up for. They shouldn't have access to these things. You can put a childproof doorknob cover on the inside of their bedroom door so they can't leave in the morning.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics